Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker?

• Total voters
Well, someone pointed out in the thread for the Mandalorian that the scientist who was with Werner Herzog looked like he was wearing similar clothes to the cloners from AOTC, but if they use the Mandalorian to try and plug plot holes in TROS I’ll be even more disappointed than I was watching TROS.
I have a feeling that's exactly what will be done. It's one reason I haven't watched the Mando.
Dr. Pershing has the same patch on his sleeve as the clones being trained/indoctrinated on Kamino. Whatever your feelings about Ep IX, or the ST entirely--even if this ties into that--I think it's throwing the baby out with the bathwater to dismiss The Mandalorian, wholesale. I doubt it'll be more than a passing reference. Obviously, as with anything, YMMV, but there's so much more to miss out on. It really is a great series...

BYDHTTMWFI.gif

Dr. Pershing has the same patch on his sleeve as the clones being trained/indoctrinated on Kamino. Whatever your feelings about Ep IX, or the ST entirely--even if this ties into that--I think it's throwing the baby out with the bathwater to dismiss The Mandalorian, wholesale. I doubt it'll be more than a passing reference. Obviously, as with anything, YMMV, but there's so much more to miss out on. It really is a great series...

View attachment 1274971
I agree, but if the focus in any future episode of the Mandalorian becomes less about the story being told there and more about trying to explain how Palpatine’s behind it all, it will have failed for me. I don’t mind the occasional brief tie-in—I think the force healing was much easier to accept in the Mandalorian than it was in TROS, and I didn’t think including some prequel moments in flashbacks was that bad either. But it needs to continue to tell its own story, not make up for the faults of others.

I am excited for season 2 though.

View attachment 1274971
As I said, it's only one reason I'm not watching it. I know many people are enjoying it and I have yet to watch more than a trailer for it so my over opinion on the show is limited to what I've read in the Mando thread.

As I said, it's only one reason I'm not watching it. I know many people are enjoying it and I have yet to watch more than a trailer for it so my over opinion on the show is limited to what I've read in the Mando thread.

Just my opinion, but the longer you wait then the more you'll expect of it. I went in with no expectations other than thinking the trailer was cool, and loved it. If I had waited six months to watch it, though, and hearing during that time how much everyone raved about it, I'd probably be disappointed when I finally saw it since nothing could possibly live up to that much hype.

Do yourself a favor and see it sooner rather than later. Again, just the opinion of a random guy on the internets.

Last edited:
Just my opinion, but the longer you wait then the more you'll expect of it. I went in with no expectations other than thinking the trailer was cool, and loved it. If I had waited six months to watch it, though, and hearing during that time how much everyone raved about, I'd probably be disappointed when I finally saw it since nothing could possibly live up to that much hype.

Do yourself a favor and see it sooner rather than later. Again, just the opinion of a random guy on the internets.
I usually don't watch a show until it's completely finished. I dislike getting invested and then having to abide the eventual slide into mediocrity that most suffer from by the end. I held off on Breaking Bad and wasn't disappointed at all from start to finish. I might give Mando a shot after it's done and readily available for free.
Keep in mind I haven't had a television signal in my home since 1989 so TV isn't a big part of my life.

I usually don't watch a show until it's completely finished. I dislike getting invested and then having to abide the eventual slide into mediocrity that most suffer from by the end. I held off on Breaking Bad and wasn't disappointed at all from start to finish.
Same here exactly and why I hardly ever get into series (got myself burned w GOT though). I literally just finished BrBa for the first time and despite being many years late to the party it was great.

Ditto! I even snagged one of the original special edition Blu-ray’s in the barrel off of the bay for $75.00

Can’t wait for “Saul” to end so I can binge that!!

Same here exactly and why I hardly ever get into series (got myself burned w GOT though). I literally just finished BrBa for the first time and despite being many years late to the party it was great.

Ditto! I even snagged one of the original special edition Blu-ray’s in the barrel off of the bay for $75.00

Can’t wait for “Saul” to end so I can binge that!!
Literally watching 3 of the spec ed steelbook blurays on ebay...

Anyhoos not to be full offtopic, the novelization of TROS seems to be adding more and more retcons, apparently now i ROTJ Palps genuinely wanted Luke to strike him down so he can possess him but Vader interrupted the great plan.

...the novelization of TROS seems to be adding more and more retcons, apparently now i ROTJ Palps genuinely wanted Luke to strike him down so he can possess him but Vader interrupted the great plan.

I mean, I know it wasn't written like that, but I can see how those scenes could play out that way. That's no more offensive to me than Anakin building C3-PO, Boba Fett being Jango Fett's clone/"son", Yoda and Chewbacca knowing each other, etc. It definitely holds up to more scrutiny than a lot of those other things that were retconned into the lore.

Last edited:
I finally saw the movie yesterday and I have to say that I liked it. I actually liked TFA too even though I wasn't thrilled with some of TLJ. And before I get flamed, I've been a Star Wars fan since the summer of 1977 and have NOT flamed anyone else for their views on the film/films and would appreciate the same consideration.

I finally saw the movie yesterday and I have to say that I liked it. I actually liked TFA too even though I wasn't thrilled with some of TLJ. And before I get flamed, I've been a Star Wars fan since the summer of 1977 and have NOT flamed anyone else for their views on the film/films and would appreciate the same consideration.
You shouldn't have to apologize or flash your cred, man. Dig what you dig. We can all disagree and discuss these things to death, but no one should be flamed over it.

I wish a mf would tell me what I can and can't like.

Quick logic/plot question.. If the Emperor in Rise of Skywalker is a clone, why does he have the same facial damage/melting that he received in ROJ?

Quick logic/plot question.. If the Emperor in Rise of Skywalker is a clone, why does he have the same facial damage/melting that he received in ROJ?
I didn’t think he had any face damage. In fact, it looked to me like they had called Ian McDiarmid up about two months before the premiere and shot all his scenes in a day. It looked like they just slapped some dark lipstick on him and then changed his eyes and hands with VFX.

I didn’t think he had any face damage. In fact, it looked to me like they had called Ian McDiarmid up about two months before the premiere and shot all his scenes in a day. It looked like they just slapped some dark lipstick on him and then changed his eyes and hands with VFX.
I thought the same, but there's a recent BTS footage and he does have makeup.

He goes from being a normal animated Palpatine corpse to being the wrinkly-faced Emperor when he absorbs the life-force from Reylo and stops being a corpse. My hot take is that Palpatine possessing his clone body killed it with the system shock, and dead flesh doesn't change. When it was alive again, with his spirit in full ownership, it resumed the countenance he had acquired (and hidden) from years of his spirit being corrupted by the Dark Side. As within, so without.

He goes from being a normal animated Palpatine corpse to being the wrinkly-faced Emperor when he absorbs the life-force from Reylo and stops being a corpse. My hot take is that Palpatine possessing his clone body killed it with the system shock, and dead flesh doesn't change. When it was alive again, with his spirit in full ownership, it resumed the countenance he had acquired (and hidden) from years of his spirit being corrupted by the Dark Side. As within, so without.
You're actually right! I remembered that it was only his eyes going yellow and fingers grew back.

Btw when his hood blows off and his face gets zapped to particles at the end, anyone else got a Freddy Krueger flashback?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back