Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker?

• Total voters
c3po.jpg

:lol:
Yes, when you simplify it like that. But, there are a million reasons why that makes sense.

It could have been part of a standard programming bundle that all protocol droids were required to have, and Anakin wouldn't have wanted to break the law and potentially get his mom in trouble. Or it could have happened later, after C3P0 passed to the Organa family and his memory was wiped.

:lol:
Yes, when you simplify it like that. But, there are a million reasons why that makes sense.

It could have been part of a standard programming bundle that all protocol droids were required to have, and Anakin wouldn't have wanted to break the law and potentially get his mom in trouble. Or it could have happened later, after C3P0 passed to the Organa family and his memory was wiped.

What little Anni didn’t tell us was that his Protocol droid was a 100 part DeAgostini build your own part work collection....the brain was already programmed straight out of the factory,....but he didn’t have enough money to buy the last few issues that included the shell

J

Eh, I read through it. Either way, it still doesn’t interest me. Theatrical release, JJ’s “alleged” cut, Trevorrow’s rough treatment. It’s all so high fantasy and disconnected from reality. Nothing sticks with me because none of these characters act like people. Their motivations are so attached to this fictional universe and the overly-intricate additions that have taken place over the past few decades, and they’re so far removed from anything anyone could relate to. The OT worked because the story was so simple. It was a hodge-podge of different elements that merely represented common aspects of the Hero’s journey—Jedi were just knights, not some faction of gymnasts that weren’t allowed emotions; the Force was the thinnest veneer of spirituality, literally the most basic reduction of religion and faith in order to tell the story; the Empire were just Nazis, the rebels Allies; Vader was a menacing enemy, not some “noble” character whose entire existence and “redemption” demanded six films to tell. The further that Star Wars gets stretched, the less it looks like Star Wars to me. The more “world-building” and “lore” that get shoved in only to serve to make everything smaller.

And as an addendum, even if Trevorrow had directed IX, it still would have looked like a cartoon, with the over-saturation and the unconvincing CGI and the childish, toy-like production design. Rogue One and Solo, flawed as both may be, at least got the cinematography and production design right. I mean, Solo even attempted to do some real practical effects. The shot of the coaxium exploding after the train heist? The explosion element was filmed underwater against a 3D printed model of the mountains and then composited in to the shot. That’s pretty cool in my book.

Was this posted?

A light blade guillotine...sure...
This storyline if true is extremely lame. Like the most predictable phoning in of a story after TLJ, almost like a Saturday morning cartoon show. I never thought I'd say this but actually props to JJ and that BvS guy for at least trying to do some twists here n there.

As a sequel to TLJ, Duel of the Fates sounds like a better sequel.

it keeps more moments that RJ introduces:
-Rey is a nobody
-the resistance is destroyed
-Kylo Ren is full evil
-Rose does something (as much as I think the character is useless, she was introduced in TLJ)

There doesn’t seem to be any big twists but having a twist doesn’t mean a movie is good or the lack of mean it’s bad.

-Rey is a nobody
-Kylo Ren is full evil
-Rose does something (as much as I think the character is useless, she was introduced in TLJ)

There doesn’t seem to be any big twists but having a twist doesn’t mean a movie is good or the lack of mean it’s bad.

In my opinion, twists for the sake of twists are highly overrated and often promote bad writing habits.

-Rey is a nobody
-Kylo Ren is full evil

I do like some of the ideas, but Kylo staying dark and getting killed. Yeah, no. That would have been the worst ending.

I can go either way on that. On the one hand, TLJ set up a face-turn for him. It just needed more than one movie to pull off. But on the other, him staying evil...eh...I think it could work. Depends on how it was done.

"what could have been" is going to be the legacy of this trilogy.

The first film "could have" reunited our original aged heroes for one last mission passing the torch to the new younger heroes.

The second film "could have" showed us a wiser, stronger Luke who was off doing something secret and important, maybe misunderstood, for the good guys, maybe that involved saving his nephew from the darkness.

The third film "could have" been an epic conclusion to the Skywalker saga, and introduced a new saga with new ideas and gave fans something interesting to think about and look forward to.

The whole “Star Wars” concept of “redeeming” evil mass murderers (I include Anakin in this) is extremely silly.

Are they to be completely forgiven for their crimes because they use “The Dark Side Made Me Do It” defense”? You can be “seduced” to the dark side—through your choices—but that doesn’t mean it controls you. They are no more “controlled” by the dark side than the Jedi are “controlled” by the good side. Free choice and self-direction seems to reign in the “Star Wars” galaxy, as it does elsewhere.

I’m sure the family of this guy would have no problem with Anakin Skywalker using the “Dark Side Made Me Do It” defense and not being punished for his crimes....

1CED3C3B-41BC-41FA-B14F-58762D80D953.jpeg

“Oh look, there’s old Obi Wan and Not Baby Yoda smiling and hanging out with the guy who slaughtered children in the Jedi Temple. That’s nice...”

7347DB74-3D25-4A6D-B445-82A8416B32AE.jpeg

I can think of plenty of other mass murderers who would have loved to have blamed some outside influence for their choices made and actions they took....Jeff Damher was seduced by some external evil force but could have been redeemed and turned back to the light, using “Star Wars” logic (right...).

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back