Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker?

• Total voters
Don't make me bring the numerous ducks that occur even though the saber is a parsec above their head.;)

Or the mysterious disappearing Obi-Wan in Attack of the Clones.....

Tell you what...you come see me and i'll swing a sword over your head. We'll see how close i can get before you duck. My guess is it could be measured in feet. :)

Tell you what...you come see me and i'll swing a sword over your head. We'll see how close i can get before you duck. My guess is it could be measured in feet. :)
That's not what I mean. Watch the duel in The Phantom Menace. The swing is so high above the head, the other guy would have to jump to get hit by the saber. Yet they duck.

I don’t know. The Maul v Qui Gon and Obi Wan fight seems pretty good apart from all the back spinning. However, rewatching how Obi wan fought in ANH, the show your back spin has been a staple in lightsaber combat.

Spin at 0:37.

Dooku v Obi Wan and Anakin actually isn’t too bad. only Obi wan does the back swings. Anakin’s stop actually makes sense in context too. During the fight, Dooku is constantly dodging and striking at Anakin. The stop comes because Dooku suddenly blocked Anakin’s strike fully, probably surprising him.

honestly Obi wan and Anakin v Dooku 2 is underrated but also a bit bad. Anakin was wide open at the beginning with a huge swing and there is a lot of aiming for the blade but it does seem to be Anakin’s new style (power batting the lightsaber to create an opening).

The thing is I really do like the fights in TFA.

Kylo is toying with Finn. The striking himself, he is able to do because Finn is on the ground defenseless after 4 strikes. He is no match. Rey ain’t much better until the force power up which felt kind of silly but movie magic and Kylo is injured.

Goddamn TLJ fight sucks. Opening with Snoke falling in half as an obvious doll is distracting once you see it (sorry guys). There are too many guards for Rey and Ben to handle at the beginning so the charge seems off. Should have been fewer and more guards enter as others die. Rey blocking 3 at once is also silly since one strikes after the other 2. The guards also seem like fodder since they fly off from a simple block. Kylo was open to be killed immediately after grabbing the guard. The whip with Rey doesn’t make sense. Ben literally puts himself in the position to be strangled by the spear.

Although TLJ is still better than IX. RoS went full video game mode. All I need is a controller in my hands and what I saw on the screen wouldn’t be much different from the Force unleashed series.

Nope.

The graphics looked pretty good but it still didn't change the stupidity of the scene.

Old Steve didn't learn his lesson from ROTS. When a lightsaber is being used to deflect your own lightning into your face, you.....

SPACEBALLS!.jpg

It’s not a matter of showing the ghosts or not. It’s just an inherently stupid and vapid concept meant to get easily excited fans to clap at the things they know. I know they say there’s “no such thing as a bad story”; well, that might be true, but it would take real talent and a lot of hard work to make most of the dumb stuff from the PT and ST work in circles outside of the “it says Star Wars so it’s good/it’s just a kids’ movie so you can’t criticize it” crowd. Talent, and hard work, and passion that are clearly lacking from the cold, corporate offices of Disney and Lucasfilm.

I'm of two minds on the change depicted in that clip. On the one hand, my inner nerd kinda likes it. On the other, it reeks of fanboy appeasement. In the end, I don't think it's necessary.

“it’s just a kids’ movie so you can’t criticize it” crowd.
I have been thinking about this statement that gets repeated over-and-over regarding Star Wars and I don't think this is what GL initially intended it to be for. I know he has stated many times that he made Star Wars for "12 year olds", but when you watch A New Hope, there are many things that don't back up this statement and I call bs on:

- Vader choking Captain Antilles
- The two burnt corpses of Uncle Owen and Aunt Peru
- Han shooting Greedo first

I think GL started using this line in interviews to justify the decisions he was making in the series that centered on toys/merchandise and to deflect any criticism of his choices.

I have been thinking about this statement that gets repeated over-and-over regarding Star Wars and I don't think this is what GL initially intended it to be for. I know he has stated many times that he made Star Wars for "12 year olds", but when you watch A New Hope, there are many things that don't back up this statement and I call bs on:

- Vader choking Captain Antilles
- The two burnt corpses of Uncle Owen and Aunt Peru
- Han shooting Greedo first

I think GL started using this line in interviews to justify the decisions he was making in the series that centered on toys/merchandise and to deflect any criticism of his choices.

I think that's a fair assessment.

It could also be that George's own instincts tend towards the more juvenile, while those around him were more focused on entertainment for adults, or at least for the whole family. So, blaster wounds would smoke and smolder, arms would get lopped off and bleed, Beru and Owen were burnt skeletons, etc. Sure the themes were fairy-tale stuff, but they were more "all ages" entertainment than "kids films." With ROTJ, though, that decidedly shifted.

It’s not a matter of showing the ghosts or not. It’s just an inherently stupid and vapid concept meant to get easily excited fans to clap at the things they know. I know they say there’s “no such thing as a bad story”; well, that might be true, but it would take real talent and a lot of hard work to make most of the dumb stuff from the PT and ST work in circles outside of the “it says Star Wars so it’s good/it’s just a kids’ movie so you can’t criticize it” crowd. Talent, and hard work, and passion that are clearly lacking from the cold, corporate offices of Disney and Lucasfilm.

I'm of two minds on the change depicted in that clip. On the one hand, my inner nerd kinda likes it. On the other, it reeks of fanboy appeasement. In the end, I don't think it's necessary.

Exactly this. This is JJ's MO, really. And it's fantastically effective. He knows how to work a scene to hit emotional beats, but it's entirely reliant upon meta-textual material and manipulation of the audience's familiarity with other work.

Consider STID. The "big reveal" that Harrison is Khan. Like this should be some huge "OMG!!!!!" moment. It's played that way, certainly. But within the story it should be like:

"I.....am KHAN."

"I'm sorry, you're who?"

"I'M KHAN!!"

"Yeah, um....not ringing any bells here...Spock? Anything?"

Likewise, the sequence where Kirk sacrifices himself in the reactor core (or whatever it was. I don't remember really.). All the callbacks to Wrath of Khan are there, and they exist solely to remind the audience of how cool the old movie was and by association therefore how cool the new one is. It's not even an "homage." Luke and Han and Chewie walking towards Leia is an "homage" to Triumph Des Willens. The trench run is an homage to The Dam Busters.

This stuff goes beyond mere fan service. Fan service is like Indy seeing an inscription of the Ark of the Covenant in the catacombs beneath Venice and being "pretty sure" that's what it is. This goes well beyond that. This is attempting to do the work of an actual narrative through cheap association with greater things.

And it works! On a "turn your brain off" level, it's terrifically enjoyable stuff. You clap and laugh and smile and whatnot. But the instant you stop to think about it, the whole thing stops making any sense.

As I've said many times, JJ is great at crafting a beat or a scene. But he's a s*** storyteller. Seriously, he is genuinely bad at storytelling.

I think that's a fair assessment.

It could also be that George's own instincts tend towards the more juvenile, while those around him were more focused on entertainment for adults, or at least for the whole family. So, blaster wounds would smoke and smolder, arms would get lopped off and bleed, Beru and Owen were burnt skeletons, etc. Sure the themes were fairy-tale stuff, but they were more "all ages" entertainment than "kids films." With ROTJ, though, that decidedly shifted.
And it was that shift that caused Irvin Kershner to part ways with George...

And it was that shift that caused Irvin Kershner to part ways with George...
Well, no. It was the fact that George got fined by the Directors' Guild for not putting Kersh's name at the front of the picture along with his (A LUCASFILM LTD. PRODUCTION), George fought it, lost, paid the fine himself so Kersh didn't have to, and quit the Guild. He could only get non-Guild directors for his future projects.

Well, no. It was the fact that George got fined by the Directors' Guild for not putting Kersh's name at the front of the picture along with his (A LUCASFILM LTD. PRODUCTION), George fought it, lost, paid the fine himself so Kersh didn't have to, and quit the Guild. He could only get non-Guild directors for his future projects.
Interesting, but I had always heard the other. Kersh didn't like the second Death Star, the Ewoks, and felt that the Falcon needed to be destroyed in the Battle of Endor...

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back