Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker?

• Total voters
Interesting, but I had always heard the other. Kersh didn't like the second Death Star, the Ewoks, and felt that the Falcon needed to be destroyed in the Battle of Endor...
Oh, yes, but that was all in the form of people asking him in interviews after ROTJ was out what he thought of it. And I'll disagree with him about the Falcon. I feel like the ship and the droids need to be the ones who have seen most of the stuff that's happened over the last few generations.

I’ve never heard anything about them wanting Kershner back for ROTJ. I’ve always heard that Lucas wanted Spielberg but couldn’t use him due to the fiasco with the director’s guild. I did hear that the Ewoks and the other childish/merchandise elements of ROTJ were why I think Kurtz? didn’t return for VI.

I’ve never heard anything about them wanting Kershner back for ROTJ. I’ve always heard that Lucas wanted Spielberg but couldn’t use him due to the fiasco with the director’s guild. I did hear that the Ewoks and the other childish/merchandise elements of ROTJ were why I think Kurtz? didn’t return for VI.

Interesting, but I had always heard the other. Kersh didn't like the second Death Star, the Ewoks, and felt that the Falcon needed to be destroyed in the Battle of Endor...

Yeah, I think it's Gary Kurtz, nor Irvin Kershner, who bailed on ROTJ due to Lucas wanting to shift directions. Kurtz was also one of the sources for the statements about how Leia wasn't Luke's sister, Luke was going to leave at the end of the film and go into isolation (i.e., "You can't go home again" or the hero being unable to reintegrate into society after the war), etc. Basically, I think Kurtz thought the story was headed in one direction and wanted it to go that way, and Lucas....eh. Didn't wanna do that.

It's around the time that ROTJ comes out that you first start to see the development of the "myth" of Lucas as auteur. In hindsight, I think watching "From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga" was my first exposure to that, and that came out in '83.

If anything, this thread has me excited to see Star Wars from a new angle. JJ very much models himself in the Spielberg/Lucas vein, and I think we need a new flavor of director to take the franchise in a fresher direction. Rogue One was the closest to what I'm thinking, but even that film is a little hampered by being tied so tightly to ANH.
Let's get away from the Empire and the Rebellion and their successors and do something different. This newest trilogy just didn't have anything to say, and it feels like it. Let's get weird.

If they manage to actually venture into new territory I will be shocked. I mean I do agree that's what needs to happen if Star Wars is going to survive as a franchise, no question there, but if it will really happen is another matter entirely.

The Mandalorian seemed to be headed in the right direction in that regard from all accounts of the first season. No known characters and not directly tied to the Empire / Rebellion conflict. Though if the rumors are to be believed, then they are headed directly back into the same Clone Wars reboot with Jedi/ Sith that Dave Filoni seems to be obsessed with. I mean he did it with Rebels and now it's likely going to be the same thing with Mando. I think he's given way more credit than he really deserves, no matter how close he is with Lucas. Hopefully they stay away from known characters and conflicts and keep delving into new material.

Otherwise it only proves how creatively bankrupt this series is (Rich Evans), or reflects the limited view every director has of it. I hope I'm wrong. I really do. That's a huge part of why I can't be bothered to get invested in the show because they are likely just going to bring Ashoka back and live action versions of Clone Wars and or Rebels characters which I have zero interest in whatsoever.

If anything, this thread has me excited to see Star Wars from a new angle. JJ very much models himself in the Spielberg/Lucas vein, and I think we need a new flavor of director to take the franchise in a fresher direction. Rogue One was the closest to what I'm thinking, but even that film is a little hampered by being tied so tightly to ANH.
Let's get away from the Empire and the Rebellion and their successors and do something different. This newest trilogy just didn't have anything to say, and it feels like it. Let's get weird.

Rogue One was a bit different. As was The Mandalorian. And Solo, even, for that matter (which I really liked, which surprised me).

I do think they need to focus more on the underworld of Star Wars, or the lives of regular soldiers, or simply other eras in the universe's history.

And honestly, I'd love to see a post-Jedi, post-Empire/Ersatz Empire/First-Last-and-Only-on-Tuesdays-Order universe. I'd like to see Gray Jedi, or see Rey really grappling with what direction to take the Jedi, if we're gonna focus on them. I'd like to see Star Wars move beyond the confines of endlessly reiterating the past and defending it by saying "blah blah blah it rhymes." My objection is that apparently it "rhymes" with "orange," by which I mean....you just keep saying "orange." Or "blorange" or "shmorange." Like, we can't even rhyme-scheme our way to "forage" apparently. Even that's too different, I guess.

I really liked TLJ because of the stuff it did differently, but apparently that was just too different for folks, which I guess makes it an "orange"/"forage" rhyme or something.

And I'll be honest, even if they do end up just endlessly "rhyming," I'd at least appreciate if the narratives themselves were better constructed and relied less on the audience's meta-textual experience of past material and more on internal consistency and events which are important within the narrative because they matter to the characters, not because they matter to the audience.

If they manage to actually venture into new territory I will be shocked. I mean I do agree that's what needs to happen if Star Wars is going to survive as a franchise, no question there, but if it will really happen is another matter entirely.

The Mandalorian seemed to be headed in the right direction in that regard from all accounts of the first season. No known characters and not directly tied to the Empire / Rebellion conflict. Though if the rumors are to be believed, then they are headed directly back into the same Clone Wars reboot with Jedi/ Sith that Dave Filoni seems to be obsessed with. I mean he did it with Rebels and now it's likely going to be the same thing with Mando. I think he's given way more credit than he really deserves, no matter how close he is with Lucas. Hopefully they stay away from known characters and conflicts and keep delving into new material.

Otherwise it only proves how creatively bankrupt this series is (Rich Evans), or reflects the limited view every director has of it. I hope I'm wrong. I really do. That's a huge part of why I can't be bothered to get invested in the show because they are likely just going to bring Ashoka back and live action versions of Clone Wars and or Rebels characters which I have zero interest in whatsoever.

I really like Filioni's stuff. I rank it alongside Zahn's original trilogy of books in the sense of being a "the same, but a little different" continuation/expansion of the existing universe. I'm fine with that. I see that more as Star Wars spreading wider with its stories rather than spreading deeper, if that makes sense. Like, the things that are changing are whom we're telling our stories about, the stakes involved, and how those stories play out, rather than deeper stuff like fundamentally changing perceptions of the Force and the Jedi and the Sith.

I felt like TLJ was juuuuuuuust tiptoeing around this stuff, with Luke's rant about the Jedi and how, at the height of their power, they let themselves be destroyed. YES! Take that thought and keep going! It's fine to depict the Jedi as these heroic warrior-monks and stuff, but maaaaaybe we can also interrogate their failures, both in terms of the how and the why, and come to realize that there's more to the Force than just Light/Dark/Jedi/Sith? Again, Filioni briefly touches on this with a 3-episode arc in The Clone Wars, and touches on it some with the "living vs. cosmic" Force. But I'd also like to reintroduce some more mystery with the Force. Like, maybe the Jedi and Sith don't have it all figured out. Maybe there's a ton they don't understand and much more to the Force than anyone has actually realized in all this time. And if that's the case, what would that mean for the Force-users of the galaxy, and the conflicts that swirl around them?

I think that stuff could be really interesting.......but we'll see what happens with the franchise going forward.

Finally, I would dearly love to see the ST actors (and thus their characters) come back in films with better scripts/stories that serve them better and really let them showcase their abilities. They're all quite talented and charismatic, and are unfortunately saddled with JJ's nonsense, or are otherwise underused.

Yeah, I think it's Gary Kurtz, nor Irvin Kershner, who bailed on ROTJ due to Lucas wanting to shift directions. Kurtz was also one of the sources for the statements about how Leia wasn't Luke's sister, Luke was going to leave at the end of the film and go into isolation (i.e., "You can't go home again" or the hero being unable to reintegrate into society after the war), etc. Basically, I think Kurtz thought the story was headed in one direction and wanted it to go that way, and Lucas....eh. Didn't wanna do that.

It's around the time that ROTJ comes out that you first start to see the development of the "myth" of Lucas as auteur. In hindsight, I think watching "From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga" was my first exposure to that, and that came out in '83.
OK thanks - I'm just going off of memory - which isn't as good as it used to be...

Lucas: "Gary, do you want Jake Skywalker? Because Luke going into isolation is how you get Jake Skywalker."

Ok, so does this video of Rey vs Palpatine (with Force Ghosts) help at all? Overall, I think so.

My thoughts.

Force ghosts can't be anything other then guiding spirits. They have immense power being one with the Force. But they can't use that power to resolve conflicts. Or there would be no need for anyone else. In my mind this really truly destroys the lore on Force ghosts.

It’s not a matter of showing the ghosts or not. It’s just an inherently stupid and vapid concept meant to get easily excited fans to clap at the things they know. I know they say there’s “no such thing as a bad story”; well, that might be true, but it would take real talent and a lot of hard work to make most of the dumb stuff from the PT and ST work in circles outside of the “it says Star Wars so it’s good/it’s just a kids’ movie so you can’t criticize it” crowd. Talent, and hard work, and passion that are clearly lacking from the cold, corporate offices of Disney and Lucasfilm.

Is it though? At the beginning of the film Rey is working on being able to contact the Jedi of old. She is finally doing this on Exegol.

I'm not sure people get what's going on here. The Force ghosts aren't empowering Rey. They are just encouraging her. And they aren't even all Force ghosts. Only 3 of them are ghosts. Qui-Gon and Kanan, are in this middle area. And Dave Filoni has raised questions on if Ahsoka is actually dead.

"I always intended to be an indecisive filmmaker."
Was he certain of that though...?

It's not even just the "lore" that ends up damaged: it's the agency of the character, and thus their own heroism.
This. As much as I dislike the idea of just holding out a lightsaber and block/revert force lightning at least Rey did something in the end. Having the Graveyard Smash show up to kick arse would have completely robbed her of any agency.

Didn't Lucas' rejected treatment for Ep. VII have him in isolation, though?
There are a lot of things from the old EU that were brought into the Sequel Trilogy, and I'm amazed nobody really mentions them.
-Han and Leia always had a kid that turned bad, and there was a kid named Ben. (He was Luke's son, not Han's.) The kid became a Sith Lord and murdered Luke's closest friend. (Mara, not Han)
-There was always a threat from outside the Empire that attacked the New Republic.
-Leia had the Force, but wasn't a full Jedi
-Palpatine returned through cloning, and tried to siphon off Force or Life Power.
-New planet (or more)-killing superweapons everywhere! Star Destroyers with planet-killing weapons!

Is it though? At the beginning of the film Rey is working on being able to contact the Jedi of old. She is finally doing this on Exegol.
I'm not sure people get what's going on here. The Force ghosts aren't empowering Rey. They are just encouraging her. And they aren't even all Force ghosts. Only 3 of them are ghosts. Qui-Gon and Kanan, are in this middle area. And Dave Filoni has raised questions on if Ahsoka is actually dead.
I was expecting something like Force Ghosts when Rey was fighting against Palpy. Imagine her reflecting his lightning back, struggling against his power, and then Luke's ghost hand appears on her shoulder. Then Leia's. Then Anakin. Then Yoda, Kenobi, Kanan, Mace, Ki-Adi, etc. ALL the dead Jedi would fan out behind her to give her their power. It would be shot from above and would look visually almost exactly like the Holdo Maneuver in reverse. Instead of a little ship blowing out the back of the ship, and then fanning out to destroy the fleet, you'd have all that fanned-out energy from all the Jedi flowing through Rey AT Palpatine.

Which is why I like how the scene exists now. The Jedi of old are doing nothing more then encouraging Rey. Killing Palpatine is all her.

*Killing Palpatine again.

Honestly, bringing him back is just so.....so very dumb. It's never explained, it doesn't make sense, it's just there because that's apparently what you do at the end of the third movie in a Star Wars trilogy, right?! You either show the rise or death of the Emperor! And that's what we'll keep on doing! OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN UNTIL THE INEVITABLE HEAT-DEATH OF THE UNIVERSE.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back