Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters

dbuck

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
My attempt at a non-spoilery review:

Caveat: The sound in the premiere was terrible, which is par for the course. There was definitely dialogue I missed, I need a second viewing to see if it helps me understand certain scenes better. (Rogue One was like that, after the premiere my wife and I turned to each other and went 'meh'. After we saw it again a week later we turned to each other and said, 'that was much better'.) It seemed like the center channel took a crap during the film. I could really hear the right rear channel well thanks to my seat, though. :)

Comparison to TFA. Well, that movie was a reintroduction to the Star Wars universe and some loved it and some didn't. I enjoyed TFA more than I thought I would. This movie continues TFA obviously, but also pivots. It's darker and defines the trilogy as the Rey story. The prequels are obviously Anakin/Darth and the OT Luke. It's kind of the Empire version, but also not. If you expect any loose ends tied up you really won't get any of substance, to me it actually creates more questions. There is someone who answers the question of Rey's parentage, but I believe this a lie.

My favorite part: The opening space battle. And the last fifteen minutes. There is a lot of info in this movie, it's hard to process immediately, Rian did say you need to see it more than once and he was right. Yet I still feel I could have taken out about ten minutes total in various places in the middle and helped it. I do that with most movies, however.

My least favorite part: Two characters head off on a mission to find someone, traveling to a planet whose name I cannot remember. This was my biggest problem with the movie so far. The whole time they are there it just screams PREQUEL, especially their escape. Way too much bad CGI. Could easily have been shortened.

Humor. Perhaps a bit too much, some of it works well, some.....meh. But it is a movie in which a TON of people die and the mood needs lightening once in a while. Much discussion will be over the amount and type of humor.

Porgs: The subject of a fair bit of humor, but they aren't everywhere. Well, kind of in a funny way they might be, but they are in this less than I expected thanks to the toy market. There is one scene that the reaction to will be very divided.

Leia: Strong performance, especially after TFA. There is a late scene in this movie that may very well induce crying from some fans. I sat next to someone who did cry, but she told me she would in regards to any scene with Carrie.

Luke: Not the Luke we may want, but there is some good stuff here. Luke wil be the focus of much discussion.

Kylo: Great performance by Driver, especially later in the film. I'm not really a fan of his, btw. Even in person he seems very aloof and a bit cold, perhaps shyness in regards to dealing with fans.

Poe: Some questionable actions after the opening, I think the movie missed something between him and Laura Dern's character Holdo until the very end, that may have been me missing some dialogue, a re-watch is necessary to see if this opinion remains.

BB-8: Not in this movie as much, but when he is it shines.

R2 and C3PO: Not much with these two. R2 does have a nice scene with Luke.

Chewbacca: Finally hugs Leia. A couple of nice scenes.

Finn: Gets some good scenes.

Rose: She was okay as a character, probably a bit of her stuff on the editing room floor.

Phasma: The Boba Fett of the new trilogy.

Snoke: Essentially Palpatine with a different face.

Maz: A bit scene. Feels like a toss-in just to get her in the movie.

Benicio Del Toro: (I think he was DJ) Mysterious, like he usually plays. Not really sure about him, hope he comes back for more.

Cameos: I'm pretty sure I saw the Will and Harry scene, saw Gareth Edwards in a trench, never saw or heard Tom Hardy or anybody else. I was focusing on the movie.

Rey: Now officially the focus of the trilogy, but all the payoff will be in the next movie.

Overall: Enjoyed this quite a bit, I do have some issues like I did with TFA, but overall I think this will be well received by most people, especially the general moviegoer. I really do need to see this again, perhaps my opinion will change for the positive or negative, perhaps some huge plot holes will be more or less appparent with a repeat viewing, I don't know. I'll know Thursday when the wife and I see it. She knows nothing about this movie and I'm not spoiling it for her, and I really, really want to know how she reacts to it.

There were quite a few moments that were really awesome, and a few groans here and there. I found myself smiling quite a bit in a giddy kind of way, and a few moments where I was wondering why they did what they did. I can't wait for all the discussion. TFA haters will most likely still hate it, but it will also become a top three or four SW film for many. I'm still debating. Definitely entertaining, and going in spoiler free is the best way.

It also passed the pee test, as in there was no way I was going to take a pee break. :)

Edit after second viewing: I did post this later in the thread, but I enjoyed this movie much more the second time around. Still not perfect or anything, but much better.

Last edited:
Re: The Last Jedi (post release) reviews and discussion

Thanks for the level-headed review

It sounds like most casual viewers will probably enjoy it, while the same groups who hate the TFA will find plenty to hate with this

I'll go into it with an open mind

I imagine this will work out like the last one, people genuinely loved TFA for the first three or so months until it became cool to complain about it as much as possible. The memes will flow regardless. But the amusing part is always how the people who complain, still went to see it more than once and likely own a copy of the movie. So they can't hate it that much.

I wish the mods would pin this to the top and dump that Spoiler thread POS.
Hey that thread has brought a lot of new traffic to....that thread.... Even though majority of the questions seem to be questions for a visual dictionary and not a movie viewer.

That thread was pinned temporarily. We were going to create a separate thread for the post-release discussion. Anyways, this will remain the main discussion thread from now on. We'll be just making some additions to this in the meantime.

FYI: I loathe that spoilers thread.

Thank you. :)

- - - Updated - - -

The reviews are ramping up my excitement even though I know what happens!

What about DJ's (Del Toro) ship......early rumours were it was an up to date Falcon=like ship?

_99177968_deltoro1.jpg

J

I imagine this will work out like the last one, people genuinely loved TFA for the first three or so months until it became cool to complain about it as much as possible. The memes will flow regardless. But the amusing part is always how the people who complain, still went to see it more than once and likely own a copy of the movie. So they can't hate it that much.

Hey that thread has brought a lot of new traffic to....that thread.... Even though majority of the questions seem to be questions for a visual dictionary and not a movie viewer.

For me it wasn't so much that it became cool to complain about it

I think it was more that The Force Awakens was a great breath of fresh air at first..

The first few times seeing it there is a lot of nostalgia brought back which let many people view it with rose colored glasses

However after time goes by that nostalgia no longer has the same effect and you start to wish maybe it hadn't mirrored the original trilogy so much.

It just is not as satisfying as it was when it was new.

I loved it when I first saw it. Later on, I don't dislike it, but I don't rank it as highly anymore

I guess in a weird way, it's like the fast food of movies. It was great tasting going down, especially when you are hungry, but then you wind up with small case of heartburn or the runs later after you digest it

All in all though, I think it was a good launching point for the new trilogy. I thought it did a great job of introducing new characters and getting me interested in them

What I guess most people are wondering was Pawn right somewhat without giving too much away and do people awe him an apology. I want Pawn to be right simply because so many Youtube people have gotten things wrong and were so sure things would happen certain ways. I want people to like this movie and so some people can put away there rudeness about Pawns reveal and except the movie is what it is.

Last edited:
Ben lied to Luke
Leia kisses Luke AND Han
Han knows how to use a lightsaber
Darth cuts off Luke’s hand and calls him son.

Sounds like crap to me. But in context.....

You’re most likely one of those Reddit guys who signed up just for the Pawn spoilers. Believe him or don’t.

My thoughts, copied from my blog:

9 Things You Need To Know About The Last Jedi

A No Spoiler Review by Brendan Prout

Currently I'm in a small group of fans that has had the opportunity to see it twice before it's even been released to the public, so let me share a few things you need to know:

1) You need to see it in the theater. Seriously. This is exactly the sort of movie whose cinematography, sound design, action, and visual chemistry absolutely require you to see it on the big screen. Probably multiple times, because the first time you see it you may not be able to hear all the lines of dialogue in the movie due to the screaming, laughing, and overall passionate reaction of your fellow fans in the audience with you. And that excitement and energy will make it all the more enjoyable.

2) It has all the feels.
Tears, cheers, joy, and many more laughs than any Star Wars movie before. The humor sprinkled throughout is delivered in such a wide variety of fashions, it appeals to many different personality types. Fortunately lacking in lowbrow slapstick humor in favor of smartly written and acted scenes, though there are a few moments in there that will make your inner five-year-old laugh as you groan and roll your eyes. If you have an actual five-year-old with you, they will be cracking up.

3) You will need to go to the bathroom before seeing this movie. It is long. Seriously long. But you will not want to miss a moment.

4) Right from the get go, the action starts heavy, with the pacing dynamics and segues between scenes masterfully delivered. Right up to the closing scene, this movie will have you captured.

5) Many many nods to previous films, tropes long established in this galaxy far, far away, will make long time fans very happy.

6) Many Porg scenes.
I thought I was going to hate the Porgs. Now I think I need to head over to ThinkGeek.com and buy one of those suction cup versions for my car window.

7) The movie touches on some very important life themes without being heavy-handed or awkward about them. I took my family to see the film yesterday, and we had some vibrant conversations about these themes on our long drive home. Good conversation seeds!

8) It's pretty clean.
As with most Star Wars movies, there is some mature innuendo in a few spots of dialogue, but it will go far over the heads of little ones. There is a lot of fighting & fantasy violence (explosions, space battles, hand to hand fights, typical Star Wars fare) but there is no guts & gore.

9) The feels don't end with the final scene. Stay through the credits as there is at least one more element in there to tug on your heart strings.

#starwars #thelastjedi #moviereview #spoilerfree
#maytheforcebewithyoualways

Hi everyone, I'm in France so I was lucky to watch this movie today.

I will not add spoilers because I know a lot of people really want tot discover this movie.

I must say this is really well made and and It's an excellent transition.

Rian Johnson did something really great overall.

Some of the fans might be disappointed by some details but we really need to accept that...

I enjoyed episode 7 even If I was disppointed by some parts but I now I really prefer this new episode 8.

When It was finished, I had so many images in my mind, I just wanted to know what would be in the episode 9, I really hope JJ Abrams will have Rian Johnson next to him for some advices...

Fans have to understand that there's will be nothing like the original trilogy because It was another time, and we had other feelings...
But If you love Star Wars I'm sure many of you will enjoy it a lot

MTFBWU

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly! :thumbsup

Came as no surprise though :unsure

Well I WAS surprised. I had high hopes for this film and in Rian Johnson as its director, but what I ended up watching was an utter disappointment. Most of the humor was out of place and felt forced (some even felt like they were more suited to Spaceballs), so many plot holes from TFA unresolved, ludicrous scenes, scenes that don't add to the narrative, bad CGI... you name it, its there. One scene was so LOTR-esque I thought Elves were gonna turn up to save the day. And the whole movie felt too long and draggy at several points.

To make matters worse, we have the young Han Solo movie lined up next...

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back