Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
Box Office: “Last Jedi” Now Running Over $100 Mil Behind “Force Awakens”[/h]

http://www.showbiz411.com/2017/12/2...now-running-over-100-mil-behind-force-awakens

School is out, but it didn’t help “The Last Jedi.” The new “Star Wars” movie is running over $120 million behind the last one on a day to day comparison.
On its second Friday in release, “The Force Awakens” logged $49 million for a domestic total of $440 million.
Last night, “The Last Jedi” came in at $24.7 million. The domestic total is $321 million.
Well, one week and $321 million is nothing to sneeze at. That’s a damn good showing, second best to “The Force Awakens.” But it’s still quite a distance behind the first part of this trilogy.
The theory that school wasn’t completely dismissed for the holidays didn’t pan out. Since its opening last week, “Jedi” has been struggling to maintain momentum. Maybe tonight, with school out and nothing but time on their hands, kids will flock to theaters. I hope they do!

Box Office: “Last Jedi” Now Running Over $100 Mil Behind “Force Awakens”

http://www.showbiz411.com/2017/12/2...now-running-over-100-mil-behind-force-awakens

School is out, but it didn’t help “The Last Jedi.” The new “Star Wars” movie is running over $120 million behind the last one on a day to day comparison.
On its second Friday in release, “The Force Awakens” logged $49 million for a domestic total of $440 million.
Last night, “The Last Jedi” came in at $24.7 million. The domestic total is $321 million.
Well, one week and $321 million is nothing to sneeze at. That’s a damn good showing, second best to “The Force Awakens.” But it’s still quite a distance behind the first part of this trilogy.
The theory that school wasn’t completely dismissed for the holidays didn’t pan out. Since its opening last week, “Jedi” has been struggling to maintain momentum. Maybe tonight, with school out and nothing but time on their hands, kids will flock to theaters. I hope they do!

Ok.. could someone explain this in layman's terms?

Was that money made?.. or was that just money customers spent?... cause what if the movie cost twice as much to make?

Sorry for this stupid question..

I hope I dont insult anyone.. but thats kind of PC..

I didnt fall in love with SW, to watch a documentary about some poor, nobody kid, come from nothing, to struggle and make it to the college football team... and have no history?

Great movie... But not Star Wars!
I wouldn't say that it's p.c. as much as it is about being able to make more movies. They can't ride this out forever if they keep with the Skywalker lineage

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I wouldn't say that it's p.c. as much as it is about being able to make more movies. They can't ride this out forever if they keep with the Skywalker lineage

I thought that's was what George Lucas was writing about.. Skywalker's and lineage.. I could accept lineage without Skywalker's..maybe another family.

Now its just about anyone with the Force? Well that doesn't make anyone special..cause now anyone can have it..

Joe Smith down the road could have it.. Lets make a movie about him

Nah.. I still believe Rey and Kylo are both Skywalkers

I agree Rey is more than a commoner, but as far as anyone having Force abilities..

Obi-Wan Kenobi: “The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.”

Doesn’t say only Jedi. Hence Sith, but it also says it’s created by all living things. So why can’t those who create it learn to harness it? Doesn’t mean everyone will learn how and it might explain the over-used “MTFBWY” phrase.

I thought that's was what George Lucas was writing about.. Skywalker's and lineage.. I could accept lineage without Skywalker's..maybe another family.

Now its just about anyone with the Force? Well that doesn't make anyone special..cause now anyone can have it..

Joe Smith down the road could have it.. Lets make a movie about him

Nah.. I still believe Rey and Kylo are both Skywalkers
You're preaching to the choir. If it were up to me, Lucas would have the official say on everything Disney does

Hell, I would have been happy with three more episodes of the clone wars

I know everyone likes to pretend the prequels don't exist, but they do, and lots of people in the galaxy are force sensitive, even if they don't know it. Qui Gon says something to Shmi like "if he were born in the republic, we would have identified him at an early age..." That's not the line verbatim, but you get the point. With or without midichlorians, it is shown that force sensitivity is not limited to the Jedi; rather, that the Jedi seem to sweep up all the force sensitive people they can find. But little Ani would have been force sensitive whether or not Qui Gon found him. Presumably that's true for all the younglings.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/22/movies/star-wars-last-jedi-women-run-universe.html

I'm all for diversity and equality but shouldn't the focus be on making good stories? Just make me care about the characters and their struggles and I will get behind them, no matter what color or sex they are. I loved Rey in TFA because I could empathize with her, but in TLJ they didn't challenge her character or develop her enough for me to really care about her struggle.

Just make good stories with great characters and the movies will do well financially. As soon as you start making films to fill quotas for different demographics and to sell it to different markets then it goes from art to being just a business. Hollywood is a business, but if you keep selling a bad product people will eventually stop buying it.

Saw it again yesterday and still liked it - did some extra noticing about the particular props, etc. (e.g., Luke's lightsaber has the emitter holes like an obi-wan ANH saber). Also noticed that Rey had taken the Jedi texts with her - they're in the drawer Finn opens on the Falcon next to her blaster.
So that puts some context to Yoda - nothing the girl Rey does not already possess - could mean he knew she actually has the books Luke meant to destroy and the tree was otherwise empty.

I know everyone likes to pretend the prequels don't exist, but they do, and lots of people in the galaxy are force sensitive, even if they don't know it. Qui Gon says something to Shmi like "if he were born in the republic, we would have identified him at an early age..." That's not the line verbatim, but you get the point. With or without midichlorians, it is shown that force sensitivity is not limited to the Jedi; rather, that the Jedi seem to sweep up all the force sensitive people they can find. But little Ani would have been force sensitive whether or not Qui Gon found him. Presumably that's true for all the younglings.

I liked most of what the Prequels offered , TFA and RO .

I Loved ANH , and grew to love ESB and ROTJ ....

- - - Updated - - -

Yikes ! - that ‘ green ‘ milk has some nasty side effects ! :lol

I didnt fall in love with SW, to watch a documentary about some poor, nobody kid, come from nothing, to struggle and make it to the college football team... and have no history?

So you prefer SW to be about genetically superior ubermensch Jedi who pass their noble bloodline down (despite not having children) and sit around in their ivory tower trying to figure out which peasant they're going to steal from, dismember, and snarl "Jedi business!" at today? Cuz Luke was right, those Jedi sucked.

BVS had the same issue, I thought that movie an absolute turd and the fans of it were bounding around the internet telling the majority of people who saw it and didn't like it that they didn't 'get' it. I did. It stunk. JL comes out, gets better reviews and the 'fans' still want the Snyder cut that the studio purposely retooled, like the studio tries to not actually make money with their product.

Although devisive this movie isn't BVS bad.(apologies to the fans of BVS) Some out there might think so, but it's not. It's certainly not a franchise killer, either. Nor did it ruin your childhood. I do respect the opinion of people who don't like it, same as I really don't like the prequels. I still have never seen any of those more than once in the cinema. Nor did I see Jedi more than once. But I have seen the recent three SW flicks more than once. Or twice. Or even three times. I think time will be forgiving to this film, just as we remember Jedi with mostly fond memories, and that really isn't a great movie by any stretch, but still, it's Star Wars and we can love on it. I already do think TLJ is pretty fun and I look forward to seeing where they go with it.
It's not what I would have written, but I don't own the franchise, it's their sandbox and I figure they do have a clue. Now, if Solo sucks, and I mean sucks, just not a 'but its not Harrison' kind of suckage, then we can worry about the future of the franchise.

Palpatine, why did you say that name!?! :lol

The film didn't disregard Rey's parentage. We were very specifically given an answer, which is what fans wanted. Is it that you're unhappy with the answer? Blame JJ Abrams, his "mystery box," and the fact that he left a simple plot device hanging for fans to obsess over. Rey's parents only needed to be one thing: The reason for Rey to refuse the Call to Adventure -- the exact same purpose Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru served in A New Hope. That's it.

If Abrams were a stronger storyteller, once Rey overcame her objections and answered the Call, he wouldn't have left that thread dangling for fans to obsess over. Rian Johnson can hardly be blamed for realizing what everyone should have: that her parents no longer matter.

Regarding Snoke and Kylo, we didn't need to know who the Emperor was or why Vader turned to the Dark Side in the original trilogy. But, having said that, we are only on the second film of this new trilogy. Just because Snoke is dead doesn't mean there still isn't an opportunity for something about him to be learned in the next film, nor does it mean there is no longer the opportunity to learn what, exactly, drove Kylo to the Dark Side. We've been given two tantalizing teases about Kylo's backstory: the Knight's of Ren, and him destroying Luke's training temple. Now that Snoke is out of the way and the next film doesn't have to try to juggle two antagonists, there's more opportunity to learn about Kylo.

It's almost like people have written off all possibility for these films to continue to provide information as though this were the third act instead of the second.

Well said all around!

Especially your rebuttal to the assertion that Rey's parentage was "ignored". As you say, we were given a specific answer. It just may be that some don't like that answer.

Also--since ESB has been brought up so many times before--remember how much doubt there was that Vader was telling the whole truth about being Luke's father? The same could be at work here... there is a chance that Kylo is either lying or didn't see clearly. I personally don't think so, and I was pleased to find that Rey didn't need to be a Skywalker or a Kenobi or blah blah blah in order to be valid. My point is that it seems too many rush to judgement and don't allow the story to come naturally. it's almost as if they feel they own the story, and that it's course should be dictated by them, not the storyteller.

- - - Updated - - -

But the way it's structured there is little left to answer. It plays more like the third act than the second act. And frankly I don't know that the remaining answers are going to add up to much of a story that will really be any good or one I could care about.

If you sincerely think there's very little story left to tell after TLJ, then I'd say you're severely lacking in imagination.

Really?? You didn't?

Luke had no history to speak of in ANH. It wasn't until ESB that we got any of that. Up till that point he WAS a poor nobody kid who had to struggle to make it.

- - - Updated - - -

No.... only whom The Force chooses.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/22/movies/star-wars-last-jedi-women-run-universe.html

I loved Rey in TFA because I could empathize with her, but in TLJ they didn't challenge her character or develop her enough for me to really care about her struggle.

They didn't challenge Rey enough?

She had to face her biggest internal mystery: where she came from. And was given no answer by the Force... or at least one she couldn't face by herself. She had to confront Snoke head on, had to battle alongside someone she otherwise despised in order to survive, only to have her offer to join her in the light spat back in her face.

If you think she wasn't challenged in this movie, i don't know what anyone could tell you.

We will just have to agree to disagree.

Seeing a certain amount of finality to TLJ because it played more like the third act of a trilogy isn't because of a lack of imagination. It's just looking at the film objectively and realizing that as much as I love Star Wars perhaps it's time to acknowledge that it is really limited in terms of it's scope of story telling. There is nothing wrong with that fact either and it doesn't diminish my love of the films.

I think this is my cue to bow out of threads like this. I've debated my perspective on these films for so long and I'm just tired. It's time for me to move on to other things. Like working on my own stories.

I'm glad people enjoyed this movie and the prequels and Rogue One, all films I did not like. We just don't see eye to eye and I'm ok with that. I really wish I did like these movies, but I don't.

I sincerely wish you all a wonderful holiday season a very happy and healthy new year and The Force will be with you, always!

Psab

I really want to stress that perhaps the biggest mistake they have made here is having this film take place immediately after that last one.

Star wars never did that. Each chapter took place years after the one before it.

This type of cliffhanger storytelling is incredibly limited.

There was what, 2 years between Luke turning off his targeting computers and his struggle to pull his lightsaber to him in the wampa cave?

There was about 3 days from the moment that Rey first flew the falcon to lifting those rocks up. (And I still don't know why Leia didn't do it)

At this point, Rey is the single most powerful jedi ever. More than Yoda, palpatine and vader
That's a real leap in storytelling.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back