Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
I guarantee that the MAJORITY of people that LIKED the movie are OT fans so this does not really hold water.
What are you basing that off of? How can you make that kind of a blanket statement? Look at the poll at the top of the thread, more people disliked it than they liked it, and thats just in this forum, the MAJORITY of people on this forum are fans of the OT. Just cause you are doesnt mean that applies to everyone. I love the OT and hated this movie. So did all my friends, even my sister who just got into star wars sorta recently(loved TFA, hated R1) didnt even like this movie. Just on the basic fundamentals of film, not even that its Star Wars.

I guarantee that the MAJORITY of people that LIKED the movie are OT fans so this does not really hold water.

Your right,

For numbers sake...lets say

60% liked the movie.

70% OT fans were of the 60% that liked the movie

And I would guess 90% OT fans were of the 40% that disliked the movie

That leaves what percentage of the OT fans disliking the movie?

What are you basing that off of? How can you make that kind of a blanket statement? Look at the poll at the top of the thread, more people disliked it than they liked it, and thats just in this forum, the MAJORITY of people on this forum are fans of the OT. Just cause you are doesnt mean that applies to everyone. I love the OT and hated this movie. So did all my friends, even my sister who just got into star wars sorta recently(loved TFA, hated R1) didnt even like this movie. Just on the basic fundamentals of film, not even that its Star Wars.

It can be teased out watching the box office. In order to reach the ticket sales number they have achieved with more o come, you need broad base fan participation both old and new. The strong week over week performance speaks to good word of mouth and repeat viewings. If OT fans had abandoned this film in a meaningful way it would show in those numbers, especially week two and three.

Your right,

For numbers sake...lets say

60% liked the movie.

80% OT fans were of the 60% that liked the movie

And I would guess 90% OT fans were of the 40% that disliked the movie

That leaves what percentage of the OT fans disliking the movie?

36% for your second category.

But even if we say as a WAG that 1/3 of OT fans disliked or have problematic thoughts on the film, that’s probably within 10% of their same reaction to TFA or R1. Go back and survey those post release threads, there was a lot of negativity in there.

It can be teased out watching the box office. In order to reach the ticket sales number they have achieved with more o come, you need broad base fan participation both old and new. The strong week over week performance speaks to good word of mouth and repeat viewings. If OT fans had abandoned this film in a meaningful way it would show in those numbers, especially week two and three.

I'll just leave this here for everyone who argues that box office success is a measure of quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
This poll, should be without the 3rd (middle) choice, Its almost an undecided choice. So if your undecided then you should not vote.

I understand the A B C D F grade.. but it should be simplified to success, failure, 4 choices, a line drawn in the sand...lol, and then see if those "C" people would fall to D or rise to B. Its too easy to give it a C. Thats a safe grade. Unless I'm your father..:angry

This poll, should be without the 3rd (middle) choice, Its almost an undecided choice. So if your undecided then you should not vote.

I understand the A B C D F grade.. but it should be simplified to success, failure, 4 choices, a line drawn in the sand...lol, and then see if those "C" people would fall to D or rise to B. Its too easy to give it a C. Thats a safe grade. Unless I'm your father..:angry

Right and if you applied a Rotten Tomatoes binary scoring they would actually fall into the “like” side of the ledger.

You were making the exact opposite "blanket statement" by saying if a person was an OT fan they were dissapointed in the movie. I'm not making any comment about people who disliked the movie.

My point was I was refuting the fact that people that LIKED it ARE NOT OT fans. I'm saying I'm pretty sure a lot of people that enjoyed the movie are ALSO OT fans. That is not a "blanket statement" it is pretty obvious by this forum discussion and common sense.

But HOW is this movie toss away the past? I’ve been genuinely looking for the reason wht makes this story so unique and forward-thinking and changing the face of SW coz everyone keeps saying it.

Hey S,

Many fans feel, I am included, that tossing the saber over his shoulder and the destruction of the Jedi texts / scrolls was / is a metaphor for throwing out the old in favor of a new story and/or direction. What makes it difficult was how TFA played out with its extensive use of plot devices and visual points all pointing to Rey finding Luke. Whether someone liked TFA or not, the saber was a clear connection between Luke and Rey. Remember, Han asks how Maz was able to get hold of the saber where she responds its a "story for another day". We are led to believe that there is significant value behind this one single object. Maz tells Rey that the saber is "calling to you". Anakin built that saber. Obi Wan saved it and gave it to Luke. Someone found the saber and after 30 years it wound up in Maz's hands. Rey hands the saber to Luke only to have it tossed away? It did NOT sit well with a lot of us.

Turning the page, finding a new direction and paving way for new characters must happen. I think we all understand that. But many people feel the way Luke and his timeline was simply "tossed over the shoulder" was an insult. Luke's character deserved a better send off. Look how the Han Solo story line played out in TFA - it was totally different. Han had one more adventure before we said goodbye. I think a majority of original fans wanted to see Luke actually fight one more time, use the Force as Yoda did (which in many ways he did). Be the wise man and mentor to Rey in greater depth similar to Obi Wan / Yoda was to Luke.

I enjoyed the movie overall and I hope the next movie closes loop and finally answers many lingering questions.

Anywho... just my opinion. I hope this helps. :)

They group I went with were split OT fans and non SW fans or just casual sci-fi fans.

The non SW fans had to be explained what was happening..

And the OT fans were too confused to explain it...

IIRC, Luke says something along the lines of "Leia blames Snoke, but I was the one who failed him."

Snoke's backstory simply isn't relevant to the TLJ story the same way Palpatine's origin has no bearing on ESB and throwing out all the information about his rise to power in that movie would have just made it convoluted.

Why does it have to be a lot of information? Why can't it just be a line or two?

Tarkin had that line in ANH about how the "...the Emperor has just dissolved the council.....last remnants of the Old Republic swept away". Which gives you enough information to know that this Emperor guy took a democracy and assumed total control. Which is practically an encyclopedia in comparison to what we know of Snoke.

That line took seconds. TLJ, longest SW movie by about 13 minutes. And you want to talk convoluted. Canto-Bight, hiring a slicer. It's like the director didn't know that Droids can hack into ships and BB8 was right there.

I'll say that, I usually look for sequels to make the movie that came before it a better movie. As much as I dislike TFA, TLJ not only didn't make it a better movie, it actually made quite a bit of it's runtime pointless now. In essence, it made it a worse movie.

SW is actually the only OT and PT, that the second made the first better. IMO..

And I guess thats why I was so hyped for the TLJ.

LOTR.. HarryP...Aliens... Pirates OTC.. Trek.... Mad MAx....Jaws....and all the Marvels..etc etc etc... non of those 2nd installments were better than the first, unlike SW.

Didn't have the time to see it at release but finally got around to it this weekend. Visually it was stunning but i kinda got left in the dark storywise. It raised more questions than it answered. And when Leia went force flying i almost said 'what the hell is this?' out loud. Beyond weird.

Didn't have the time to see it at release but finally got around to it this weekend. Visually it was stunning but i kinda got left in the dark storywise. It raised more questions than it answered. And when Leia went force flying i almost said 'what the hell is this?' out loud. Beyond weird.

In the row infront of us were two girls, I think between 14 and 17 maybe. They celebrated every scene most of the audience hated. The scond time i saw it a few rows behind us a guy just shouted "Bull****!" when Leia started flying. And there was a great acceptance for that statement. This movie really splits the audiences. TLJ was even more worse the second time I saw it. You know what's coming and try to make any sense of it and you just can't. The thing I noticed on both viewings was that most of the humor just did not work. We have a nice word for it "Fremdschämen" which means you sink with your face in your hands and are just ashamed of what others (in this case Rian Johnson) did.

Why does it have to be a lot of information? Why can't it just be a line or two?

I don't know, I'm not a screenwriter.

Tarkin had that line in ANH about how the "...the Emperor has just dissolved the council.....last remnants of the Old Republic swept away". Which gives you enough information to know that this Emperor guy took a democracy and assumed total control. Which is practically an encyclopedia in comparison to what we know of Snoke.

That line took seconds. TLJ, longest SW movie by about 13 minutes.

I'm not saying that you're not making a valid point here, but it still doesn't change the fact that knowing or not knowing Snoke's backstory changes nothing about the plot that RJ wanted to follow in TLJ.

And you want to talk convoluted. Canto-Bight, hiring a slicer. It's like the director didn't know that Droids can hack into ships and BB8 was right there.

Red herring. Stay on target.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back