Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Anyone know why 3PO is not in this movie? Sorry if I missed the post.

He is, but strangely he's not in the trailer....(come to think of it R2 doesn't appear much)

Heres the behind the scenes vid they showed at Comic Con

J

Last edited by a moderator:
Re the Falcon's rotating turrets, coming at this from the standpoint of a casual viewer who hasn't studied the model or sets....based on what we saw in ANH, I always assumed the turrets could rotate whichever way was needed. I mean, why wouldn't they? They're point-defense guns. That certainly seemed the intention; we see TIE fighters swooping here, there, and everywhere, and the guns track them and blow them up. It just seems odd to be shocked by Abrams having them fire aft.

UZHmrzO.jpg

Did anyone else notice the atmospheric similarities between the shot of the village being razed and the one of Luke putting his hand on R2's dome?

P.S. Yes, I realize the rumor is
it's part of a flashback/force vision Luke has
so please don't quote that as proof against my insinuation, because, really, it isn't.

Geeze the non-spoiler thread gets some drips and drabs of spoilers for people asking about things that weren't a spoiler at first that should have just been directed to go to the spoiler thread, ceasing this spoiler free thread of existence.

Mesa outta here. Cya in December.

Agreed. I don't want to know all about the movie before I see it. Be back in December.

Agreed. I don't want to know all about the movie before I see it. Be back in December.

I appreciate peoples concerns over spoilers even though I do not share them, but with all that has been released and all that will still come before the films release, discussions about the content of the film will by its very nature be more informed about the story. And this is a discussion forum. Although there will be no more trailers, there are books, comics, toys, all of which have the potential to reveal something about the film. If your experience seeing the film is that adversely effect by knowing aspects of character and story, it's a challenging new world we live in to avoid that. I wish you all luck in finding that balance you seek.

Did anyone else notice the atmospheric similarities between the shot of the village being razed and the one of Luke putting his hand on R2's dome?

P.S. Yes, I realize the rumor is
it's part of a flashback/force vision Luke has
so please don't quote that as proof against my insinuation, because, really, it isn't.

Only in so far as...
The village being razed is on Jakku and I'm not sure Luke is ever on Jakku

The ice planet one of the battles is over has a long straight trench going thru it. There's totally going to be a trench run throwback

I saw that too. I hope it's a nod, as in there's some combat in the trench, but I don't want another trench run to destroy the super weapon thing.

The dips in the volume really put me off to that. I'd love to have a music only version done right.

Yea, that means they took the completed trailer and manually removed sound effects and VO to get it. If it were really "official", they would have taken music directly from the recording session.

Oh, I agree 100%, Harrison Ford did come back for a great script and film and story for his character, and that film is TFA. Harrison Ford doesn't want to sort of hang around, be just another one of the main characters. This film gives him center stage and his exit stage right in a great, climatic way. There's more to Luke's absence then the narrative. This is Han's last ride and he is given as much screen time as possible. In regards to other comments about the value of the character Han Solo, also correct. That's why we are getting a standalone Han Solo film. Harrison Ford isn't going to spend the next 5 years making STAR WARS films in the UK but the character will live on in other projects.

As informed as you seem to be, doesn't this rank as a major-league spoiler? It doesn't sound very much like personal uninformed speculation anymore. After spending months avoiding spoilers I wish I had not just read it.

In regards to Harrison Ford and ROTJ, I think he was probably ready to distance himself from the Han Solo role for career reasons as much as anything. We know he would have a huge career in hindsight. He didn't know that yet in mid-OT.

At the time of planning & shooting ESB he had a few years of distance from ANH but he still didn't have Raiders or Blade Runner going for him yet. He had to be worried that the OT might be the only big splash he would ever get.

Saying "this character has nowhere else to go after ESB" make sense but I think it's at least partially an excuse. I don't see him avoiding an Indiana Jones gig over that reasoning. He always liked the Indy role better.

And even after the early 1980s, for decades the idea of going back to SW would have meant being a cog in George Lucas's big machine again. Ford did not love that idea. IMO George Lucas's exit from SW probably did more to bring back Han Solo than anything else.

Last edited:
As informed as you seem to be, doesn't this rank as a major-league spoiler? It doesn't sound very much like personal uninformed speculation anymore. After spending months avoiding spoilers I wish I had not just read it.
Some folks don't care about ruining the fun of those trying to stay relatively spoiler free. We have a clearly marked spoiler thread - but, some would rather just be an ****** and make spoiler filled posts - even if they are making obvious allusions to spoilers. What a pity.

Last edited:
In 30 years, Han Solo reversed the gun turrets and replaced the radar dish ... but couldn't he repair 30 year old blaster damage or at least replace some missing hull plating?
The Falcon is like a Rat Rod--repair and/or maintain the things that need to work when you need them. The rest just adds "character".

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back