Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

I found it extremely funny - maybe even sad - that so many folks are professing so much faith in this movie based on "practical effects" - without even a thought to the story.

As I've said before and I'll say again good CG can be equal to or better than a good practical effect... and a bad practical effect can be just as bad or worse than bad CG. Most of us couldn't pick out CG vs. practical. Please stop pretending.

That said, this trailer looks amazing for so many reasons that aren't just practical effects.
I completely agree.

More than anything, I'm concerned about the style. I've seen more than a few things that feel as if they pander to the traps of modern action movies. The ones that Abrams himself gets caught up in.

(As cool as that star destroyer was, it felt more like a cool image than anything. The scene would have been just as cool with only the x wing)

I think most fans would agree that the story is going to make or break this film, but unfortunately that's a complete unknown right now. All we have to be excited about are the visuals, which look great. This is the Replica PROP Forum. We're excited for real world things. You really find that sad?
Sadder than you might believe. Star Wars is what got me into props and the most basic reason why I am a member of this forum. It's definitely understandable to be excited about props that we can replicate...

However, my post was about "effects" (not props) and the carte blanche this is getting based on those. Again, I'm not saying this trailer was bad (I loved it), I'm just worried about setting expectations too high and giving JJ and his folks a little too much leeway just based on his use of all things practical.

I truly believe the story comes first and the effects and the props are just a way to help tell that story. That said, I'm going to watch this trailer another dozen more times.

Last edited:
To add to the debate about whether Luke's lines in the trailer are lifted from ROTJ...

Sounds to me like it's directly from ROTJ with some edit, effects and EQ work.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://youtu.be/aM_Z8DcdVRA
Simply awesome, been playing the Battlefield Franchise since day one and now this! What a great time we are living in.

Yeah great CINEMATIC TRAILER. Great game? Still yet to be seen and a pretty weak reveal in my book. If you want to sell me a game, show me the game being played. If you want to sell me a CG animated film, show me this (and I would buy this if that's what they were selling!)

Been saying this since yesterday. Glad to see more people coming around.

Also food for thought, if they are using the same dialogue why would they have Mark re-record it? He already said the lines 30 years ago and they were just fine then. No point to re-record unless they wanted a different inflection that they couldn't achieve in editing the existing recordings. Farm simpler and cheaper to use what they have and reorder it in Final Cut than to throw Mark in the booth for an hour and then go over it again anyway in Final Cut.

I have a couple of questions: (and I realize that the answers are speculative)

1) Is this Luke putting a hand on R2?
2) Is the R2 scene on Mustafar?

Of all the planets I would love to see them return to, it's mustafar. Especially since in Rebels, they referred to it as the place, "where Jedi go to die"

Incidentally, I just realized that if somebody in this movie hunts for, and finds, Vader's burnt helmet then we may very well see THE RESULTS OF THE EWOK HOLOCAUST!!!!!

This film may actually have ewok skulls!

Incidentally, another thought is that if that IS the super star destroyer, then perhaps the desert planet is actually Endor, 30 years after the death star 2 was destroyed.

The dialogue certainly insinuates that it's Luke's hand. The robot hand is on the right arm, and the character seems to be close with R2. I'm betting it's Luke. That sleeve makes it look like he's wearing pajamas under the robe...

Anyone else mildly put off by Poe's crooked goggles in the shout of joy shot? Looks sloppy. Surely there was another take.

Not being a killjoy. This is going to be better than coaching lingerie gymnastics. I'm just saying, come on...

I wish you hadn't brought that up. It's been slowly picking away at me for the past 24 hours lol. GET IT TOGETHER POE!!!

Anyone else mildly put off by Poe's crooked goggles in the shout of joy shot? Looks sloppy. Surely there was another take.

Not being a killjoy. This is going to be better than coaching lingerie gymnastics. I'm just saying, come on...

I'm more concerned for Boyega's ability to speak in the film. He seems exhausted in EVERY scene he's in so far ;)

-Ss

...The melted helmet looks like Jason Vorhees. Someone do a side by side.
Y'know, now that you mention it...

Melted_Vader_Jason_zpsnavydryy.jpg

:lol

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back