Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

Someone should've reminded Lucas about Chekov's law. What the hell is this prophecy? Why do the Sith want revenge? What is the significance of force ghosts? You can't just introduce crap, show it's important, and not deal with it!! I swear the man would give directions from LA to Boston and never mention any roads. He'd be like "well, you kind of need to drive, see? Except according to Campbell it's the journey. I think Boston's in Pennsylvania. Who are you again?"

Hopefully whomever writes ep vii will have taken a high school creative writing course.

I think the real problem is lack of vision other than a few visions. By that, I mean that I think he came up with some cool ideas -- scenes or visuals or whathaveyou -- but he didn't have a coherent vision for how to achieve them. So the story that he started writing ended up being dramatically different from the story he finished writing.

I think this new movie will never, really NEVER get that successful and especially not that good as the classic Star Wars movies...
And it will maybe cause a new small hype, with ingrained fans and the 21st century kids that will never understand how awesome Star Wars was before.

tossing this into the mix, the OT cast will likely shoot footage for all three films in a lump so they wont be needed past the initial EP7 filming time frame.

I think this new movie will never, really NEVER get that successful and especially not that good as the classic Star Wars movies...
And it will maybe cause a new small hype, with ingrained fans and the 21st century kids that will never understand how awesome Star Wars was before.

It won't be a George Lucas Star Wars , an Abrams version might turn Star Wars into something fresh, maybe not as Epic as the OT, but it might come close enough, I'm still giving Abrams the benefit of the doubt, at least untill I've seen the Trailer.

I think it has more to do with the world simply being...different now. The mass cultural impact of anything is far less intense these days. It's consumed too quickly, it faces competition the instant it hits the culture from a FAR wider range of sources, etc. In a sense, the world is just a lot bigger and a lot faster than it was in the years 1977-1983.

Nothing will ever have the cultural impact that SW did in '77. Today every movie is picked clean before it even comes out. We weren't waiting on SW to come out in '77, it was just BOOM there it was, and we were like "What the hell was that?..It was GREAT!!". The secrecy around Empire was intense but all we basically had was Starlog Magazine to chronicle it's "making-of time". The secrecy on Jedi was incredible yet even by the time it came out most of us had a pretty good idea what was going to happen even though we had no internet yet.

Very few big movies come out now without a huge ruckus being raised about it months and even years before the movie is released. And I think that is half the problem.

On the "balance to the Force" thing.

I tend to think that Luke is the one who ultimately finds the balance in the Force, in that he's emotional, but calm. He doesn't ignore his feelings or repress them, but he doesn't let them control him either. That's what I think was missing with the Jedi. They repressed or ignored their emotions, whereas the Sith just gave into feeling whatever, whenever, and doing whatever they please.

Now you're talking; I agree completely.

Well yes that's one thing I could see being the Jedi's downfall all the way back in the original films,the whole "no emotion,no love,no hate yada-yada" sounded like a great way to put yer foot in it.

I'd just like a whole race of people who are what you term gray Jedi,a bunch of fighters who aren't scared to use a little anger to kick the ever lovin' pee out of an enemy.

tossing this into the mix, the OT cast will likely shoot footage for all three films in a lump so they wont be needed past the initial EP7 filming time frame.
not sure how that could be done without a story or script considering they tossed the first story by Arndt out and JJ and Lawrence Kasdan rewrote Ep7 and only finished recently... I don't think they are thinking too much beyond EP 7 right at the moment. I'm sure GL has outlines for the 3 final chapters but I'b betting its very bare bones basic and would need actual dialog added.. hence, no way are they filming the OT characters for three films this summer. I can understand your logic behind that thought.

I would love to see Warwick Davis get a part (not Wicket though) Warwick has really grown as an actor and has been in many major films these past years.
Jack the Giant Slayer, the Harry Potter films, The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy etc.... would be fun to see him in a real role in SW.

MarketSaw - 3D Movies, Gaming and Technology: EXCLUSIVE: Source Update On STAR WARS EPISODE VII ! Casting, The Twins And TWO More Indys !!

Casting rumors now include Billy Dee Williams and Warwick Davis. No one knows for sure of course, but at least someone is trying to get Lando some work.

It's unfortunate but our world (much like they have made the ST's galaxy) is getting smaller. The end of the "Great Train Robbery in 1903 made ladies faint as the man shot a gun at the audience. Hitchcock made us afraid of birds in the 60's. As time goes on and people aren't as scared/awed by things they see anymore it is going to be hard to capture the kind of magic that the OT had.

It's unfortunate but our world (much like they have made the ST's galaxy) is getting smaller. The end of the "Great Train Robbery in 1903 made ladies faint as the man shot a gun at the audience. Hitchcock made us afraid of birds in the 60's. As time goes on and people aren't as scared/awed by things they see anymore it is going to be hard to capture the kind of magic that the OT had.

agreed. kids these days are spoiled! :D Remember how amazingly cool the chess creatures were in New Hope and even the stop motion Taun Tauns in ESB... I think we appreciated that it was stop motion animated, knew it and was blown away at how cool it was! very few movies even in the 70's and early 80's were doing stop motion animation. There ws something magical about the look of it. Now you could never get away with it...it has to be CGI for today's audience.
While I appreciate well done and subtle CGI I have to say it tends to overwhelm me. Transformers was an assault on my brain balls! :D

Well, talking about anticipation, we in Europe got to see StarWars waaayyy after you guys (U.S. & Canada). Every French/Belgian/Dutch/German mags that I remember would have scene pics, paintings, drawings, etc...talk about teased to death:facepalm And that famous day came and...my life hasn't been the same since.
(yes, there's a self-help group for that and it's called the RPF:D).

That's a contradicting statement based on incorrect information. Episode One does have characters who implicitly state that the Sith are extinct...

Plus Ki Adi Mundi and Mace Windu are no small time Jedi either. They're on the Jedi council!

They weren't right either. I'm going to have to dig up the Lucas interview where he says that the Jedi saw signs of the Sith, pre-Prequel movies, and ignored them. Like a lot of things they ignored what was right in front of them.

They weren't right either. I'm going to have to dig up the Lucas interview where he says that the Jedi saw signs of the Sith, pre-Prequel movies, and ignored them. Like a lot of things they ignored what was right in front of them.

I think if you really looked back on it even back in the Empire Strikes Back you could see a little arrogance in Yoda and about the only one who had a grasp on things was Obi-Wan.

They thought they were bigshots and didn't have to worry about Sith and if they came back they'd defeat them,really the whole Jedi ideal smells badly of arrogance in my opinion and has since the first films which is why I never liked to be honest.

Personally i think the Jedi in the prequals, and even yoda in the originals, represented the pre-ww2 establishment that ignored what was going on in Germany and the expansion despite knowing bad things were happening. The Jedi and senate they had their heads in the sand when it came to taking action that could have made a difference.

I think everyone's overthinking Star Wars. :lol

The first original Star Wars movie was never something to over think about. The story and characters were simple enough and the mysterious Force was presented in a way that we didn't need to question what it was or how it really worked. The universe had it's own way of working and it presented itself in a simple fashion that we could believe what was going on. With the Prequels, they added all this other stuff that made the overall story a complete mess with politics, midi-chlorians, prophecies and blatant fan service. I can forgive details about the Force because this is obviously something that's unique to this universe, but you can't really apply the same level of mystery or interest to something that should, for all intents and purposes, actually be developed.

And as stated by others above, the glorified representation of characters who have a very shady view of morality is one of my biggest concerns for the new movies. Despite Yoda being wrong at almost everything, none of the stories ever portrays him as admitting he was wrong or that there was another way he could have handled a situation. The reason why this irks me so much is that outside of Star Wars, Yoda is looked on as some wise inspirational hero who can do no wrong.

That's the kind of thing I'm hoping the new Star Wars doesn't fall into. If there's going to be issues on morality, it should be taken more seriously than how it was in handled in both ROTJ (Instant redemption for decades of violence with an act of violence) and the PT (Murdering innocent men, women and children can be easily overlooked with love). One of the worst things I'm anticipating is that Anakin will be regarded as a true hero who everyone looks up to for inspiration since he saved Luke's life at the end of ROTJ. NO! Even if you were trying to go for his pre-Vader days, he was still a manipulative bugger who was murdering people in mass years before he turned into Vader. He should not get off the hook so easily.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back