Star Wars Rebels Ghost and Phantom reference photos

mmhnc

A little while back a discussion started on a this thread http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=250292 by @tbody about references for modeling the Ghost and Phantom from Star Wars Rebels, I wanted to start a bit of 1 stop shopping with posts focusing on diffrent views of both ships and hopefully also the interior, I don't have the time in my current que to start working on another scratch build model but I wanted to share my research with anyone interested.

Starting with:
Ghost front
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Last edited:
Snaps of the Ghost from the side
image.jpegimage.png

- - - Updated - - -

Snaps of the Ghost bottom and top
image.jpegimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Last edited:
Thanks for kicking this off, Mmhc! Great selection of images, though I was wondering if the 'small' pics are from a different source than the higher resolution pics. I especially appreciate the shuttle images like the underside view, they will really help with getting the drawing as accurate as possible. I do notice differences in the 'Ghost' from season 1 to season 2 which I may need to allow for, though I think they aren't changes that create a conflict (assuming portions of the ship are removable.)

Unfortunately for me, I now see that the shuttle's rear canopy segment is 'in plane' with the angled forward panel, not centerline parallel & perpendicular to the buklhead - so have to redo that portion... unless it changed from season 1 to 2? Well, that's the way it goes. Perhaps I best leave well enough alone... but sure would have been easier to draw the first time if I'd known! ;^P

(These images are what made me think there was a vertical 'break fold' in the canopy side panels; notice the slight change of angle in the bottom juncture line at the rear...which now was apparently a shadow!?):

Phantom-4.png SPACTRE.png

(Keep 'em coming - and all entries welcome, everyone...)

Regards, Robert

Uh oh are the low red ones with or without black bars? Some of these where taken on my phone some on my iPad. Let me know and I will take from the better device. And yes anyone that has reference images is welcome to post, we want as much as we can get!

The ones with the the 'letterbox' bars are the low rez ones... Probably an enforced limitation due to storage capability?

R/ Robert

Thanks again, Mmhc. I did some grabs off the official season trailers on YouTube and noticed some changes to the Ghost from Season 1 to S2. My notes are:
Season 1 vs 2:
-Framing on nose gunner's station bubble changed to include more struts (to look more like a WWII bomber nose.)
-Aft bottom corner of nose cargo bay trimmed
-Forward fuselage "wedge" has lower underside surface half-trimmed horizontially
-Landing gear more detailed with 'ski' front edges and doubled struts
-Nose cargo bay door 'extruded' proud of bay front surface instead of being flush
-A 'step' has been added to the vertical side faces of underside cargo bay, aft portion.
-underside cargo bay aft portion flares in width aft to a greater degree.
-Addition of 1 'torpedo tube' each side on underside of trimmed fuselage wedge, on sloped portion; horizontal portion has half-round tubular details added, 2 per side of unequal lengths
-Lower aft "fin" has notched lower edge
-'Jet engine' detail added at juncture of lower fin to lower hull
-Droid external socket added to shuttle 'doghouse' & blaster moved aft.
-Circular disk detail added to aft face of transverse underside bulkhead (above landing gear), 3 per side

Looking at the images, these become apparent though some appear to have happened during the second season (like the socket for 'Chopper' on the shuttle...) Did notice I'd missed the slight 'flare' in the aft portion of the underside cargo bay which became more pronounced in S2; I guess the best thing would be to include the changes in my drawings as separate views so a builder can incorporate what they like or stick to one season's standard... at least the basic 'asset' characteristics is largely unchanged.

A couple of inconsistencies or points of confusion? have come up which I also noted:
Shuttle:
- Belly hatch cannot line up with docking bay hatch when 'parked' backwards if placed as depicted in show. Moving the hatch on shuttle aft allows it to mate up either way, however.
-Drew roof blaster with more detail than show has in order to depict how it can elevate or to 90 degrees and downward ~10 degrees. Also added a stereoscopic "sight" optics.

Ship:
None so far. Generally drawn to Season 1 standard except for landing skids and cargo hatch (stands proud of surface.)

I've drawn the nose gunner bubble as an horizontal ellipse - not quite round. This effect is visible is some views, though others show it as elongated vertically! Expect camera distortion is the cause...

Regards, Robert

Another bit of progress to share.

Top Turret (click to enlarge):

topturret_WIP.jpg

The shape of the area around the gun's 'pivot' is pretty indistinct so I've done my best with the limited views I have. The proportions look good, though. I reduced the bubble a bit from my first try, but it is still a very roomy enclosure.

This is the interior profiles I've mapped for the engines:
engine interior profiles.jpg

Rather complex & details are not the same between the 'big' & 'small' engines, other than the three interior partitions in the center.

Enjoy!

Regards, Robert

Last edited:
Besides the "Pirate Ship" in Star Wars, the Ghost is quickly becoming my favorite ship in the (Extended) Star Wars universe. I've been frustrated with trying to develop plans off of screen grabs. I get cranky trying to resolve perspective images into orthogonal elevations. In the previous decade, when the only reference was the DVD of Revenge of the Clones, I ran out of steam trying to develop plans for the Republic Gun Ship (LAAT/i) mostly because cross referencing the screen grabs exhausted my patience. Really appreciate the work done here. By the way, there are two desktop replicas that may be of help. There is a smaller Hot Wheels Ghost toy, and there is the X-wing Game Ghost. The latter is larger and with all of the X-wing game efforts, nicely detailed, but likely has some inaccuracies that may bother a rivet counter. (Holding up hand) I am a rivet counter. *wink* At the rate things are going, its only a matter of time before there is an action figure sized Ghost. Oh help me when that happens.

I have the hot wheels toy on my desk. Maybe some day, I'll reference it to go for 1/144... the X-Wing ship looks great, but it's really pricey.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back