Star Wars Obi-Wan Kenobi (tv series)

And there's the answer. It's a very small group that cares; the rest don't. Including those in charge of the things we care about.

If I have to freeze frame and compare photos to see what's different, then the differences don't matter for filming. It's why I chuckled at some comments about Obi-Wan replacing parts on his saber over the years to turn it into the ANH saber. Obi-Wan didn't replace anything, it's the exact same saber, just played by a different "actor".

This. In the long run, it doesn't matter. I know a lot of folks here care, but I gotta be honest with you, we are an unusual group here. The vast, vast, vast majority of people who enjoy Star Wars have no idea about this stuff. If you said the word "Graflex" to me they'd think you say "graphics" and misspoke. They're watching the show, but splitting their attention between surfing their phones and looking at the TV. Or they're watching it on their phones and can't even see the difference because the sabre on their screen is less than an inch big.

Years ago, probably around...2012? I was talking with friends of mine about why I was pissed at George Lucas for how he had handled stuff like the release of the OT on DVD and BR. Now, both of these people were fans who grew up with the OT, but they weren't fans on my level. They hadn't read the EU novels or the comics. They didn't know a ton of the trivia. They hadn't watched a VHS of ANH every Sunday morning from the time they were 6 until the time they were 12 almost like going to church. But they had the storybooks, their own VHS copies, the records, the toys, etc. They were fans. Just not as into it as I am.

I was talking about the changes Lucas had made. They knew about "Han shot first" but they didn't really care. They didn't even really notice the other changes. Stuff like the sabres looking fatter and more blue instead of aqua? They liked it. Stuff like the changing sounds of the blaster (e.g., incorporating the "magnum" sound effect) or Luke screaming when he falls in Cloud City? They didn't care. Barely noticed the difference. The CGI shots of the X-wings in ANH which I found fakey looking? They thought it was more realistic looking than the old models which, to me, catch the light better (because they actually caught light). And so on and so forth. They weren't film historians, they didn't care about preserving the old version for the technological wonder it was. They just...you know...wanted to enjoy Star Wars. As long as the film was close enough to their general memory of it (as opposed to my hyper-specific memory), they didn't care. They were happy and that was good enough.

Same thing here. Hell, I am a super fan and I still didn't notice that it was a MR version, mostly because I haven't cared to try to replicate a sabre since I realized I suck with a dremel and I decided to preserve my actual Graflex 3-cell as-is rather than chop it up and glue stuff to it. And the Kenobi? From real world parts? Ha. Not happening. The notion that a TV show would do that...that's just bonkers to me. Of course they wouldn't go to those lengths. Hell, the only reason the original propmakers used any of this stuff was because it was cheap and available.

I see this as being no different from the changes between ANH and ESB when it comes to the various weapons and props. Luke's sabre went from having calculator bubbles, straight windshield wipers, and a glass eye to a gold chipset, notched and screwed in windshield wipers, and a red button. Who cares? Boba Fett's gun went from a flare gun with a flashgun shoved in the barrel to a resin shroud over a flare gun. Does it matter? Did we demand fidelity between the films? Nah. And it doesn't really matter here, either. Certainly not enough for the crew to spend the effort just to make 0.000001% of the fan base happy that they went back to authentic props and such, which, by the way, are really goddamn expensive now for the sole reason that goofballs like US keep buying them up and nobody's making more.

Interesting interview with the original writer of the Obi-Wan movies that turned into the series: Obi-Wan Kenobi Writer Reveals Commander Cody's Scrapped Role (Exclusive)

I think a lot of those ideas sound a lot more interesting. I would have loved to see Cody come back and be torn up about Order 66. I really like the idea that they were originally going to have Cody helping guard Luke while Obi-Wan left the planet. That would have made a LOT more sense to have an ARC trained clone trooper helping out. Not to mention it would add more to Luke's "You fought in the Clone Wars!" line. He would have possibly gotten some first hand stories and would have added to how he perked up at Obi-Wan's disclosure in that scene.
Yeah, it's interesting. Although that idea has existed for a while now, re: the chips. My first exposure to it came in the Rebels cartoon, but it may have existed before that, even.
EA has already gotten in trouble for this. They pulled the paid loot box system from Star Wars: Battlefront II, but still got sued for exactly the reasons you mentioned. I also played the game for a while without paying and still have a ton of the "crystals" that they give you for in-game achievements that I never used, but now they're worthless, as they pulled the ability to "buy" things ingame with them.

EA also confused things by making some things able to buy only with ingame "credits," like the hero characters, so people bought crystals thinking they could unlock characters, only to find they didn't transfer to credits ingame. I'm sure it was no accident either, that they were intentionally misleading people into buying crystals.

Not sure if the class action suit has been settled or if it's still going:

Oh man, don't get me started on Battlefront 2... That game was a mess and it was, I believe, almost entirely due to losing its microtransactions at the 11th hour before release.

And honestly, I wouldn't have cared if they had stayed, and argued so at the time. People got all bent out of shape about "pay 2 win," complaining that someone could just "buy" what they'd "earned," all of which is and always has been utter nonsense. The real culprit has always been unlock systems themselves. Anything that gives another player an actual advantage or even just "sidegrades" screws up the power dynamic. The issue isn't "someone spent money to get guns I don't have." It's "someone has guns I don't have." Period. The currency they spent -- time vs. money -- is irrelevant. There shouldn't be a difference in the first place. The only thing that should separate you is raw player skill, not the advantages the in-game avatar has.

undefined - Imgur - 2022-07-05T192816.077.jpg

Something I was thinking about the Kenobi show...

Although I did really enjoy the show, I enjoyed the show they made and I enjoyed the story that they told, this show would have still completely worked if Reva wasn't in it and, honestly, it probably would have been a better show.

If you cut out Reva and replaced her with the other Inquisitors everything in the show would have been basically the same except for the B-plot of Reva being one of the younglings at the Jedi Temple when Order 66 hit. You could have even had one of the Inquisitors try to take out Vader and had the same Vader vs Inquisitor fight.

I can see how Reva's story is interesting and could be/was interesting to some people, but the other Inquisitors were more interesting as Inquisitors and everything Reva did could have been done by one of them, even having Leia taken to draw out Kenobi. I'm fine with the Reva character and her story, but I do see that it wasn't really necessary to tell the same story. I think Ben could have landed at the same place in the end even without the interaction he had with Reva at the Lars Homestead.

Last edited:
This. In the long run, it doesn't matter. I know a lot of folks here care, but I gotta be honest with you, we are an unusual group here. The vast, vast, vast majority of people who enjoy Star Wars have no idea about this stuff. If you said the word "Graflex" to me they'd think you say "graphics" and misspoke. They're watching the show, but splitting their attention between surfing their phones and looking at the TV. Or they're watching it on their phones and can't even see the difference because the sabre on their screen is less than an inch big.

Years ago, probably around...2012? I was talking with friends of mine about why I was pissed at George Lucas for how he had handled stuff like the release of the OT on DVD and BR. Now, both of these people were fans who grew up with the OT, but they weren't fans on my level. They hadn't read the EU novels or the comics. They didn't know a ton of the trivia. They hadn't watched a VHS of ANH every Sunday morning from the time they were 6 until the time they were 12 almost like going to church. But they had the storybooks, their own VHS copies, the records, the toys, etc. They were fans. Just not as into it as I am.

I was talking about the changes Lucas had made. They knew about "Han shot first" but they didn't really care. They didn't even really notice the other changes. Stuff like the sabres looking fatter and more blue instead of aqua? They liked it. Stuff like the changing sounds of the blaster (e.g., incorporating the "magnum" sound effect) or Luke screaming when he falls in Cloud City? They didn't care. Barely noticed the difference. The CGI shots of the X-wings in ANH which I found fakey looking? They thought it was more realistic looking than the old models which, to me, catch the light better (because they actually caught light). And so on and so forth. They weren't film historians, they didn't care about preserving the old version for the technological wonder it was. They just...you know...wanted to enjoy Star Wars. As long as the film was close enough to their general memory of it (as opposed to my hyper-specific memory), they didn't care. They were happy and that was good enough.

Same thing here. Hell, I am a super fan and I still didn't notice that it was a MR version, mostly because I haven't cared to try to replicate a sabre since I realized I suck with a dremel and I decided to preserve my actual Graflex 3-cell as-is rather than chop it up and glue stuff to it. And the Kenobi? From real world parts? Ha. Not happening. The notion that a TV show would do that...that's just bonkers to me. Of course they wouldn't go to those lengths. Hell, the only reason the original propmakers used any of this stuff was because it was cheap and available.

I see this as being no different from the changes between ANH and ESB when it comes to the various weapons and props. Luke's sabre went from having calculator bubbles, straight windshield wipers, and a glass eye to a gold chipset, notched and screwed in windshield wipers, and a red button. Who cares? Boba Fett's gun went from a flare gun with a flashgun shoved in the barrel to a resin shroud over a flare gun. Does it matter? Did we demand fidelity between the films? Nah. And it doesn't really matter here, either. Certainly not enough for the crew to spend the effort just to make 0.000001% of the fan base happy that they went back to authentic props and such, which, by the way, are really goddamn expensive now for the sole reason that goofballs like US keep buying them up and nobody's making more.

Yeah, it's interesting. Although that idea has existed for a while now, re: the chips. My first exposure to it came in the Rebels cartoon, but it may have existed before that, even.

Oh man, don't get me started on Battlefront 2... That game was a mess and it was, I believe, almost entirely due to losing its microtransactions at the 11th hour before release.

And honestly, I wouldn't have cared if they had stayed, and argued so at the time. People got all bent out of shape about "pay 2 win," complaining that someone could just "buy" what they'd "earned," all of which is and always has been utter nonsense. The real culprit has always been unlock systems themselves. Anything that gives another player an actual advantage or even just "sidegrades" screws up the power dynamic. The issue isn't "someone spent money to get guns I don't have." It's "someone has guns I don't have." Period. The currency they spent -- time vs. money -- is irrelevant. There shouldn't be a difference in the first place. The only thing that should separate you is raw player skill, not the advantages the in-game avatar has.
Totally agree.

A fellow fan at my Taekwondo club brought an MR saber in one night (I forget why), there was group all stood round having a look at it. From where I was all I could see was the blade. I shouted over to ask which saber it was. He looked me dead in the eye, like I was a complete moron, and said "The blue one."

This is a guy I've had many a conversation with about Star Wars and thought he'd be well up on all this.

The accuracy we look or strive for isn't noticed or appreciated by like 99% of people outside of this board.

BTW, I watched a collecting video on Youtube and the guy was pointing out that after almost three weeks Haslab can't get the Reva FX lightsaber funded, yet the GI JOE HISS tank was funded in 24 hours. So I hope they are passing the sales data on the lack of SW collectible sales (from Sequels on) back to Disney, but I would guess Disney will just keep insulting/blaming fans instead of addressing their weak writing/characters/designs.

Is there a reason particular character's action figures that never seem to sell keep getting made in mass excess? It's always the same characters lining the shelves in stores because no one buys them. Yet Hasbro persists on making more of them. This is slightly confusing.

Last edited:
Is there a reason particular character's action figures that never seem to sell keep getting made in mass excess? It's always the same characters lining the shelves in storse because no one buys them. Yet Hasbro persists on making more of them. This is slightly confusing.
You have to shame them, play the green card on them that's popular these days. Hasbro making sh1tty toys only means more plastic in land fills poisoning the planet. Every crappy toy and lame character just adds to the poisoning of the planet. They have a moral obligation to only sell the coolest characters or else they are evil planet murdering bastards.

There now you all can play the spin game.

You have to shame them, play the green card on them that's popular these days. Hasbro making sh1tty toys only means more plastic in land fills poisoning the planet. Every crappy toy and lame character just adds to the poisoning of the planet. They have a moral obligation to only sell the coolest characters or else they are evil planet murdering bastards.

There now you all can play the spin game.
If consumers aren't buying a particular product, no matter what it is, it doesn't make sense to continue to produce it in high volume. That's all I mean't.

I love the fact that they made minor characters. When I used to collect figures (in the long long ago) I had every single character in almost every single outfit that was available. Some of my favorite figures were those who were on screen for seconds.

Last edited:
Is there a reason particular character's action figures that never seem to sell keep getting made in mass excess? It's always the same characters lining the shelves in stores because no one buys them. Yet Hasbro persists on making more of them. This is slightly confusing.
Is it Hasbro’s choice or are they being told to by the companies. I guess one could argue that if the studios didn’t make lame characters and force on to the public that they want them,Hasbro might not follow down the same path. In the old days variety of characters was the norm whereas now it’s the same few characters over and over.

I *think* Lucasfilm gives them a look at what will be in a movie/show and then the Hasbro or whoever picks what things they think will work best in a toy line. I know it works that way in some of the model kit companies because someone had said Bandai had said it didn't do kits of many ships from the Sequels because none of them were interesting.

Regarding Hasboro, it seems that they only get visuals of the characters and are given lead time to make the characters to sell when the movie in question comes out. They dont know if Rose Tico will be a cool character, popular character, unpopular etc and probably cant make a judgement since they havent seen the movie (it might not even be done yet when they start designing and producing).

So they probably have a set amount of figures made depending on the expected popularity of the character. Rey is the main character so 100,000 figures. Poe and Finn are secondary so 70,000. Rose is a new third so maybe 60,000 (these numbers are just examples to make a point).

So I dont think we can blame Hasbro for making too many Roses when they themselves probably had no idea who Rose was when making the figure. These arnt made to order but mass produced to stock on shelves so they need to predict demand.

I do think this is an outdated business model though. Lets be honest, kids dont really play with toys that much anymore with more kids probably growing up playing games on mom or dad’s ipad. There is a big decline in toy stores too with Toys R Us shutting down after going bankrupt. Hasboro producing excess toys to meet demand is ineffective and of shamed or sanctioned for also producing excess waste, will need to change their business model. I do think fans will be happy with Hasboro making more expensive but higher quality figures on-demand.

Regarding Hasboro, it seems that they only get visuals of the characters and are given lead time to make the characters to sell when the movie in question comes out. They dont know if Rose Tico will be a cool character, popular character, unpopular etc and probably cant make a judgement since they havent seen the movie (it might not even be done yet when they start designing and producing).

So they probably have a set amount of figures made depending on the expected popularity of the character. Rey is the main character so 100,000 figures. Poe and Finn are secondary so 70,000. Rose is a new third so maybe 60,000 (these numbers are just examples to make a point).

So I dont think we can blame Hasbro for making too many Roses when they themselves probably had no idea who Rose was when making the figure. These arnt made to order but mass produced to stock on shelves so they need to predict demand.

I do think this is an outdated business model though. Lets be honest, kids dont really play with toys that much anymore with more kids probably growing up playing games on mom or dad’s ipad. There is a big decline in toy stores too with Toys R Us shutting down after going bankrupt. Hasboro producing excess toys to meet demand is ineffective and of shamed or sanctioned for also producing excess waste, will need to change their business model. I do think fans will be happy with Hasboro making more expensive but higher quality figures on-demand.
This. Kids are moving away from toys as their preferred method of play. Not to mention the HasLabs Reva isn't really indicative of Reva being unpopular when you consider the Rancor Pit set failed to reach enough backers too. Collectors don't want to shell over the insane prices Star Wars HasLabs products usually are, especially when there are far superior fan-made replicas in the works for similar prices. Shadowfoil and Watto's Reva hilts are definitely going to sell.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back