Star Wars Obi-Wan Kenobi (tv series)

Bloop

Sr Member
It's incredibly lazy and honestly annoyed the hell out of me after the RPF figured it out. They have access to some of the best prop workshops and they use ~20 year old replicas that aren't even accurate instead of making unique mashups or brand new styles. They did it for the Inquisitors, why the hell didn't they do it for Obi-Wan, Vader and the Graflex? The Inquisitors are the only challenges/projects for saber and prop makers, instead everyone is basically recasting an MR ROTS Kenobi with a Romans BP
I can't say I noticed the use of Master Replicas sabers as props, and obviously most people won't either - I think I've got a pretty good eye for detail, but I wasn't looking for it, and haven't done much in the way of recreating Star Wars items myself. But I understand why others would be upset. You want the people working on these shows and movies to care about the properties they're working on, to want to do their best, especially when we know it doesn't really take that much more money or time to do it "right."

Let me offer an analogy from my personal experience. I'm an instrumental musician, and have worked professionally for years, performing, arranging and writing music. I can usually notice the difference between real musicians performing and the use of sound libraries/synths to recreate acoustic instruments. I say "usually" because it has definitely gotten harder to tell - the tech to sample real musicians playing has gotten much better over the years. But I'd say most music for tv shows (and a lot of movies) is done by one person now, using synth instruments instead of real performers. While I can tell the difference, I know most people can't, even with things that I know are obvious synth sounds. Or they just don't care.

It also bothers me more because it means fewer jobs for musicians. Don't get me wrong, I love the tech of being able to try to recreate "real" sounding music - it helps me in composing and arranging because I can hear things sound more like what they'll sound like live, with actual musicians playing each part. And I also like the challenge of trying to make it sound "real," just as many of us here like trying to recreate props and costumes as accrately as possible.

But technology makes it easier and cheaper to do things, and the people running these productions have budgets and time contraints, so we tend to get things that are just "good enough" rather than excellent. And, like I said, most people can't tell the difference, and/or don't care. It happens in every industry. Graphic designers and photographers have lost their jobs in media because tech makes it easy for "anyone" to do it. Why hire a photographer AND a reporter AND a web designer for a news site when the reporter can just snap pics on their iPhone and upload and layout everthing using easy-to-use templates? Why pay for an editor to proofread stories when we have spelling and grammar checkers on our phones? Maybe (often) it's not perfect, but again, who really notices anymore?

Mottrex

Sr Member
I can't say I noticed the use of Master Replicas sabers as props, and obviously most people won't either - I think I've got a pretty good eye for detail, but I wasn't looking for it, and haven't done much in the way of recreating Star Wars items myself. But I understand why others would be upset. You want the people working on these shows and movies to care about the properties they're working on, to want to do their best, especially when we know it doesn't really take that much more money or time to do it "right."

Let me offer an analogy from my personal experience. I'm an instrumental musician, and have worked professionally for years, performing, arranging and writing music. I can usually notice the difference between real musicians performing and the use of sound libraries/synths to recreate acoustic instruments. I say "usually" because it has definitely gotten harder to tell - the tech to sample real musicians playing has gotten much better over the years. But I'd say most music for tv shows (and a lot of movies) is done by one person now, using synth instruments instead of real performers. While I can tell the difference, I know most people can't, even with things that I know are obvious synth sounds. Or they just don't care.

It also bothers me more because it means fewer jobs for musicians. Don't get me wrong, I love the tech of being able to try to recreate "real" sounding music - it helps me in composing and arranging because I can hear things sound more like what they'll sound like live, with actual musicians playing each part. And I also like the challenge of trying to make it sound "real," just as many of us here like trying to recreate props and costumes as accrately as possible.

But technology makes it easier and cheaper to do things, and the people running these productions have budgets and time contraints, so we tend to get things that are just "good enough" rather than excellent. And, like I said, most people can't tell the difference, and/or don't care. It happens in every industry. Graphic designers and photographers have lost their jobs in media because tech makes it easy for "anyone" to do it. Why hire a photographer AND a reporter AND a web designer for a news site when the reporter can just snap pics on their iPhone and upload and layout everthing using easy-to-use templates? Why pay for an editor to proofread stories when we have spelling and grammar checkers on our phones? Maybe (often) it's not perfect, but again, who really notices anymore?
My friend once said who does your Photoshop editing..
I said I did on my phone.
He got squeezed out of Graphic design for All the above reasons..
But just because you can doesn't make it better..

Sluis Van Shipyards

Legendary Member
Interesting interview with the original writer of the Obi-Wan movies that turned into the series: Obi-Wan Kenobi Writer Reveals Commander Cody's Scrapped Role (Exclusive)

I think a lot of those ideas sound a lot more interesting. I would have loved to see Cody come back and be torn up about Order 66. I really like the idea that they were originally going to have Cody helping guard Luke while Obi-Wan left the planet. That would have made a LOT more sense to have an ARC trained clone trooper helping out. Not to mention it would add more to Luke's "You fought in the Clone Wars!" line. He would have possibly gotten some first hand stories and would have added to how he perked up at Obi-Wan's disclosure in that scene.

Joek3rr

Master Member
Has this ship been in anything before? I don't recognize it...

View attachment 1593645
It looks like a civilian version of the Shadow Caster from Star Wars Rebels Shadow Caster
I'm pretty sure the exact style ship was first seen TROS during the battle of Exegol.

dP-SgtskJpnoXZnEkFieYa2Tbry6n_6pdW6kbp28mK4.png

cboath

Master Member
I also felt that Luke being pursued by an Inquisitor felt out of place. The whole idea of Luke wanting to leave Tatooine in the original movie is that nothing ever happened to him, that he wanted to have adventure in his life. He lived on a boring farm, with a boring Uncle and Aunt, yet now he had to flee from capture by a lightsaber weilding foe, and Owen and Beru are blaster-toting bad-asses. Yes, there are dangers on Tatooine, like Sandpeople, but this seemed like an extrodinary departure from the idea of Luke's banal existence.
Other than the fact that from his perspective, that encompassed a couple hours one night when he was about 10. He was also knocked unconscious so his memory of that could be woozy as well.

cboath

Master Member
Or when Haslab made Jabbas sailbarge,once they went into production a week later they were on eBay for double the price.A lot of times fans miss out due to scalpers.
I dropped the toys in the 90's due to scalpers. I can't speak to them all, but here, it was people who couldn't get real jobs (and a couple who's actual real job was the same thing) who literally hung out in the store in the SW aisle all day (to combat the store managers plans to put stuff out at random times to block them) and bought everything other than peg warmers they second they hit the shelf. There were a couple 'collectible stores' in town who literally bought it all to retag for their stores. I don't mind hard to find and i don't mind the hunt (it can be fun), but when working 45 hours a week you can't beat those losers. One of those collectible stores literally rented the space directly next to a kaybee toy store in the mall so they could stake it out and buy stuff the second it hit the shelf.

That bs made me quit. And I know it still goes on to extent here as well. I've got a closet full of it if anyone's interested :)

cboath

Master Member
If Disney really wanted to make money off Star Wars they would have invested all of their time and energy into the video games side of it. They could raking in that sweet microtransaction money. The great thing about Star Wars games is they cover every genre so none of them would be in competition with each other.

Compared to the Marvel shows, there for sure is difference in quality and budget. AMC shows like Into The Badlands put these marvel/star wars shows to shame as far as action.
Guess you never tried to play galaxy of heroes on your phone ;) Total pay to win with steep prices. There are those who pay into the thousands per month. I like the game, but am free to play - can't imagine what kind of person would waste that kind of money a month on a game that you get no permanent return on. I mean, can you even enjoy winning at something if it's only because you spend 1000x more than everyone else? But it's reported that game has brought in over a billion.

EA and lootboxes - SW gets a huge wad of cash from games.

Ron

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Guess you never tried to play galaxy of heroes on your phone ;) Total pay to win with steep prices. There are those who pay into the thousands per month. I like the game, but am free to play - can't imagine what kind of person would waste that kind of money a month on a game that you get no permanent return on. I mean, can you even enjoy winning at something if it's only because you spend 1000x more than everyone else? But it's reported that game has brought in over a billion.

I never understood the satisfaction of "pay to win". I don't play Galaxy of Heroes, but I play Marvel Strike Force. Same kind of game with the same pay to win scheme. I'm only free to play myself. When a new character drops, it costs between $50-$100 to unlock them right away. That's the price of a full AAA console game. There's guys out there that spend tens of thousands on the game. I don't get it at all.

Lootboxes are essentially a gambling mechanic. How they have been able to get away with it until now I don't know. I heard something yesterday about Spain banning MSF because of it.

Bloop

Sr Member
I never understood the satisfaction of "pay to win". I don't play Galaxy of Heroes, but I play Marvel Strike Force. Same kind of game with the same pay to win scheme. I'm only free to play myself. When a new character drops, it costs between $50-$100 to unlock them right away. That's the price of a full AAA console game. There's guys out there that spend tens of thousands on the game. I don't get it at all.

Lootboxes are essentially a gambling mechanic. How they have been able to get away with it until now I don't know. I heard something yesterday about Spain banning MSF because of it.
EA has already gotten in trouble for this. They pulled the paid loot box system from Star Wars: Battlefront II, but still got sued for exactly the reasons you mentioned. I also played the game for a while without paying and still have a ton of the "crystals" that they give you for in-game achievements that I never used, but now they're worthless, as they pulled the ability to "buy" things ingame with them.

EA also confused things by making some things able to buy only with ingame "credits," like the hero characters, so people bought crystals thinking they could unlock characters, only to find they didn't transfer to credits ingame. I'm sure it was no accident either, that they were intentionally misleading people into buying crystals.

Not sure if the class action suit has been settled or if it's still going:

Joek3rr

Master Member
I dropped the toys in the 90's due to scalpers. I can't speak to them all, but here, it was people who couldn't get real jobs (and a couple who's actual real job was the same thing) who literally hung out in the store in the SW aisle all day (to combat the store managers plans to put stuff out at random times to block them) and bought everything other than peg warmers they second they hit the shelf. There were a couple 'collectible stores' in town who literally bought it all to retag for their stores. I don't mind hard to find and i don't mind the hunt (it can be fun), but when working 45 hours a week you can't beat those losers. One of those collectible stores literally rented the space directly next to a kaybee toy store in the mall so they could stake it out and buy stuff the second it hit the shelf.

That bs made me quit. And I know it still goes on to extent here as well. I've got a closet full of it if anyone's interested :)
LEGO is getting hit really hard with scalpers these days.

And in the town where I live. There's a couple of guys that pretty much buy everything. They hit the thrift stores first thing in the morning, so you can forget finding any gems there. Heck my mother was a garage sale just last weekend. They were selling a whole bunch of action figures. My mom said she went to try and buy some, but some guy came up and said he was going to buy the whole lot. Which he did. Supposedly they had been his originally...... Color me skeptical.

cboath

Master Member
EA has already gotten in trouble for this. They pulled the paid loot box system from Star Wars: Battlefront II, but still got sued for exactly the reasons you mentioned. I also played the game for a while without paying and still have a ton of the "crystals" that they give you for in-game achievements that I never used, but now they're worthless, as they pulled the ability to "buy" things ingame with them.

EA also confused things by making some things able to buy only with ingame "credits," like the hero characters, so people bought crystals thinking they could unlock characters, only to find they didn't transfer to credits ingame. I'm sure it was no accident either, that they were intentionally misleading people into buying crystals.

Not sure if the class action suit has been settled or if it's still going:

New characters on SWGOH can cost 500-700 to unlock totally and that's not including gearing. It's ridiculous. There are plenty of packs that are cash only. No in game currency - just flat out cash. Standard box is like 50, there are a couple at 100 and more at 20 and 40...A few at 5 and 10 but they largely don't get you anything worth while.

I think the people who spend outrageous amounts are rich kids using mommy and daddy's credit card. I can't imagine a well adjusted adult doing it. I realize we spend outrageous amounts here in some people's eyes, but at least we get an actual item out of the deal that can be resold. Those game buys give you nothing tangible.

janglesworthy

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Right, EA pulls in what....7.5B a year? How much do star wars movies and tv shows make a year? A star Wars version of Warframe, micro transaction it up with cosmetics. 100 billion trillion dollars a year.

ST the movies each made like what 1B each? Only 3B over how many years....EA says hold my beer.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.