Star Wars Obi-Wan Kenobi (tv series)

Wouldn't they have just used the one from Rogue One?
Sure, it could be the same model, but there’s so much to account for in making a 3D model look good, beyond just polygon-count and high-quality textures. There’s the lighting, the “lens” that the 3D program uses, the renderer used, the amount of time/the number of samples they allow the render to have, the amount of time/the number of people the VFX team is allowed to dedicate to a shot getting it just right. When it’s for “Rogue One: Disney’s first attempt at a standalone Star Wars”, they pull out all the visual stops, because there’s a lot riding on it. When it’s “Kenobi: a recycled film script stretched out into a television show that will also double as a back door pilot for a character people wouldn’t have watched if they weren’t attached to a legacy character” (long title, I know, but that’s what they went with), they just did what Disney does best these days. Factory-line assembly. Lowest overhead for highest returns. Mandalorian was allowed to experiment because no one knew how Disney+ would work and no one knew how a totally (at that point) unconnected Star Wars property would work. Now that they’re returning to the safety of the established, the room for experimentation and pushing the boundaries is gone. Pump out that content, Lucasfilm, Papa Disney and his investors need their money.

The fact that they essentially used expensive toys for hero props is ridiculous. Nothing from Master Replicas should have appeared in something official from Lucasfilm.
It's incredibly lazy and honestly annoyed the hell out of me after the RPF figured it out. They have access to some of the best prop workshops and they use ~20 year old replicas that aren't even accurate instead of making unique mashups or brand new styles. They did it for the Inquisitors, why the hell didn't they do it for Obi-Wan, Vader and the Graflex? The Inquisitors are the only challenges/projects for saber and prop makers, instead everyone is basically recasting an MR ROTS Kenobi with a Romans BP

It's incredibly lazy and honestly annoyed the hell out of me after the RPF figured it out. They have access to some of the best prop workshops and they use ~20 year old replicas that aren't even accurate instead of making unique mashups or brand new styles. They did it for the Inquisitors, why the hell didn't they do it for Obi-Wan, Vader and the Graflex? The Inquisitors are the only challenges/projects for saber and prop makers, instead everyone is basically recasting an MR ROTS Kenobi with a Romans BP

Well, I’m annoyed that I have to hand paint “Master Replicas 2008” on the bottom of the hilt of my Graflexes, in order to be “accurate to screen used”, going forward.

Last edited:
Yep, this is the first show that's felt like a TV show to me. This is the first time I've noticed where the floor stops and The Volume starts......yikes...

I mean there are a number of outdoor scenes where the ground was just straight up flat with a thin layer of dirt and sand on top (e.g. outside the hangar doors with the stormtroopers, where Obi-Wan and Vader start their duel, and where Reva brings Luke back to the farm).

It fel similar in a number of BoBF scenes (e.g. the centaur monster).

Not even a stray rock, sand bump or crack in sight and that just screams studio unfortunately. It honestly made me think of Star Trek TOS sets. Compare that to Mando on Corvus with Ahsoka and it's a big difference.

They had access to a real vintage parts ANH Kenobi hilt, if I’m not mistake. One of the members here works on these shows and offered it to them. They turned him down.

They had access to a real vintage parts ANH Kenobi hilt, if I’m not mistake. One of the members here works on these shows and offered it to them. They turned him down.

While I'm not wholly against the idea of it, I am sympathetic to production not going with an all vintage replica. It's something from someone's collection, essentially a one-off, and it may or may not be insured, and would have to be if it were on set. That's not even considering it being used as a primary hero prop, but using it for reference to make 3D printed copies of and it being passed through various departments; I can see why something like the MR worked its way on set. Sure, they're rare now but nothing compared to an all-vintage, real world parts Kenobi hilt, which a single component of costs vastly more than an MR. Like, down-payment-on-a-car, or mortgage-payment more.

A MR may not be fully accurate, but it's functionally close enough and it maintains a continuity on-screen from RotS; throw on a Roman's Empire emitter to have an ANH element and it's a job done. There are copies of MR's out there (even replicas of MR's) and Roman's keeps a steady supply for the most part. From a production stand point, it certainly makes a lot more sense the route they went more than not.

While I'm not wholly against the idea of it, I am sympathetic to production not going with an all vintage replica. It's something from someone's collection, essentially a one-off, and it may or may not be insured, and would have to be if it were on set. That's not even considering it being used as a primary hero prop, but using it for reference to make 3D printed copies of and it being passed through various departments; I can see why something like the MR worked its way on set. Sure, they're rare now but nothing compared to an all-vintage, real world parts Kenobi hilt, which a single component of costs vastly more than an MR. Like, down-payment-on-a-car, or mortgage-payment more.

A MR may not be fully accurate, but it's functionally close enough and it maintains a continuity on-screen from RotS; throw on a Roman's Empire emitter to have an ANH element and it's a job done. There are copies of MR's out there (even replicas of MR's) and Roman's keeps a steady supply for the most part. From a production stand point, it certainly makes a lot more sense the route they went more than not.
Sure, I get that, but there are just so many options out there now to get pretty accurate replica parts, or even fabricate something in house based off of the vintage parts hilt that they had. I personally don’t care much for the ROTS hilt, I’ve never like the covertec knobs and the hero prop in the show looks way, way too shiny for me. If they had done more to meet that halfway point between ROTS and ANY, maybe. But still—the MR sabers decision is one that sounds like they didn’t really care either way about the details of the show, only if it stayed cheap to produce. And isn’t that what we’re all about here? The little details?

sounds like they didn’t really care either way about the details of the show, only if it stayed cheap to produce. And isn’t that what we’re all about here? The little details?
And there's the answer. It's a very small group that cares; the rest don't. Including those in charge of the things we care about.

If I have to freeze frame and compare photos to see what's different, then the differences don't matter for filming. It's why I chuckled at some comments about Obi-Wan replacing parts on his saber over the years to turn it into the ANH saber. Obi-Wan didn't replace anything, it's the exact same saber, just played by a different "actor".

IMG_1070.jpeg

Also, aren't real parts Obis HEAVY AS HELL? A real drag on the belt hangar. Granted, Alec dealt with it, but why do so if you don't have to?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back