Star Wars Obi-Wan Kenobi (tv series)

Alright, let me see if I can end the Leia message debate (I know I can't but I'll try anyway lol).

Here's the key line in the message:

"General Kenobi,...years ago you served my father in the Clone wars."

Her introduction is establishing a connection to Obi-Wan. There'd be no need to start your message that way for someone you already know personally.

There you go. Simple as that.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree with this assessment: all Jedi were dragged from their parents at a early age(granted Ani was older than the norm) and had nothing put on him.In AOTC he tells Padme that he craved more power and knew it was wrong when they were at the Lars homestead.There was a few other lines of dialogue but my point is Ani made his decisions and this was on him.Ani from my point of view was not a victim and should not be treated as such,hell Vader even told OWK that he killed Anakin in the last episode of the series.
I agree he was not a victim...he was freed from slavery and given the greatest chance of success along with personal abilities and traits that you think would set him up for success...it was either that or remain in slavery with his mother. The sad thing for me is just that. He was surrounded by good training, opportunity but the poor kid missed his mom and took the guilt of his mothers death on himself as if he could have saved her in time...He could not. He made conscious choices that made him who he is therefore he is not a victim but a product of those choices...like it or not, not all in life get handed the same hand of cards...I have pity on him and his mother being slaves to begin with but i have seen plenty of people including myself start out life with the odds against them and turn it into something good. Not to get too personal but i was a one night stand baby who grew up without a father and i was latch key because my mother was working all the time. I could use that excuse for poor choices until the cows come home but it's not gonna fly...Anakin was young, manipulated, endured loss, was selfish and prideful and let his circumstances dictate his actions instead of his actions dictating his circumstances. I was saddened that Obi loved him to the end and that its sad when somebody throws their life away for power...even the ones they've professed to love and that love them back...it's heart breaking

Alright, let me see if I can end the Leia message debate (I know I can't but I'll try anyway lol).

Here's the key line in the message:

"General Kenobi,...years ago you served my father in the Clone wars."

Her introduction is establishing a connection to Obi-Wan. There'd be no need to start your conversation that way for someone you already know personally.

There you go. Simple as that.
Unless she had been told ten years prior to not admit she knew him personally in "public" correspondence. A lot better than her old man blabbing, "I think I'll head to Tatooine to take care of the Lars boy".

However, if you are asking someone for help _again_ few years after that person helped you for something as important as saving your daughter while risking his own life and his jedi vow to "protect the boy" - it will be extremely disrespectful to not acknowledge that in your new request, instead building on the fact that he was serving you many years ago, like he never did anything important for you since then. (From the point of view of her father the king , as in the formal part of the message she speaks on his behalf)
As I've said in my previous post, when she personally begs for help at the end I don't see how she would not mention it.
Except that it wasn't Bail that was making the request, at least not directly, it was Leia. You also have to figure that she was recording the message on the fly and didn't have a lot of time to record it. As I said previously, was she supposed to record some sort of pre-amble, saying, "Hey remember me? It's Leia Organa, remember how you rescued me from a bunch of kidnappers back when I was only 9? Well, I need your help again."? She only had a small window of time to record her message leaving her little time for niceties and had to get to the point fairly quickly,

Unless she had been told ten years prior to not admit she knew him personally in "public" correspondence. A lot better than her old man blabbing, "I think I'll head to Tatooine to take care of the Lars boy".
I agree. This was BEFORE the dissolution of the Senate.

They had no idea that the Emperor would do away with the Senate, so, from my perspective, she worded that message to sound like she was simply delivering a message from her father. No way of knowing, but I assumed that Bail had retired & Leia was now serving.

She's a politician involved in clandestine matters, so plausible deniability would be key.

Okay, let's assume she was told that. This was a private message intended for Obi-Wan. Even if she feared the message could be intercepted, there's still no need to state a connection if she already knows him.
Except that it wasn't Bail that was making the request, at least not directly, it was Leia. You also have to figure that she was recording the message on the fly and didn't have a lot of time to record it. As I said previously, was she supposed to record some sort of pre-amble, saying, "Hey remember me? It's Leia Organa, remember how you rescued me from a bunch of kidnappers back when I was only 9? Well, I need your help again."? She only had a small window of time to record her message leaving her little time for niceties and had to get to the point fairly quickly,
This is what I mean. If she knows him already, there's no need for a preamble of any sort. Just a simple "Greetings, Obi-Wan." and get on with your message.

Last edited:
I agree he was not a victim...he was freed from slavery and given the greatest chance of success along with personal abilities and traits that you think would set him up for success...it was either that or remain in slavery with his mother. The sad thing for me is just that. He was surrounded by good training, opportunity but the poor kid missed his mom and took the guilt of his mothers death on himself as if he could have saved her in time...He could not. He made conscious choices that made him who he is therefore he is not a victim but a product of those choices...like it or not, not all in life get handed the same hand of cards...I have pity on him and his mother being slaves to begin with but i have seen plenty of people including myself start out life with the odds against them and turn it into something good. Not to get too personal but i was a one night stand baby who grew up without a father and i was latch key because my mother was working all the time. I could use that excuse for poor choices until the cows come home but it's not gonna fly...Anakin was young, manipulated, endured loss, was selfish and prideful and let his circumstances dictate his actions instead of his actions dictating his circumstances. I was saddened that Obi loved him to the end and that its sad when somebody throws their life away for power...even the ones they've professed to love and that love them back...it's heart breaking
Now that I can buy like chicken pot pies 4 for a buck.“When somebody throws their life away for power” excellent way to phrase that.

I respectfully disagree with this assessment: all Jedi were dragged from their parents at a early age(granted Ani was older than the norm) and had nothing put on him.In AOTC he tells Padme that he craved more power and knew it was wrong when they were at the Lars homestead.There was a few other lines of dialogue but my point is Ani made his decisions and this was on him.Ani from my point of view was not a victim and should not be treated as such,hell Vader even told OWK that he killed Anakin in the last episode of the series.
I'm saying more in that when you take a kid from his parent(s), you take on the responsibility... and Obi can see in that moment that when he decided to train Anakin for Qui-gon despite the warnings, this was the end result. There was that moment where Ben even seemed to take issue with being a kid pulled from his parents - he had a brother... same with Reva (taken from parents, then watch her friends die)

I may have read more into it, and need a rewatch, but also felt like Ben went from "I need to train Luke" in the first episode to "yeah... you take him Owen, I'mma let him decide on his own when he's older" in the finale....

But then I barely remember the earlier eps... I'll rewatch down the line

Last edited:
What vision? Lucas has muddled with and changed his "vision" of the make up of the Star Wars universe countless times. Just look at how many revisions there have been made to the OT over the years if you don't believe that George had a single consistent vision of what Star Wars was supposed to be. George's "vision" of what Star Wars was would change with every home release of the OT & later the PT.
Lucas created those characters and those stories. They were his changes to his artistic vision, even the ones we huff and puff about. Did that give him a free pass to do whatever? No, I don't think he should've done the PT the way it was done (if at all) and most of the post release alterations of the OT aren't necessary at all. However the argument that Lucas already changed and in some ways almost ruined his own content so why not continue the trend is completely ridiculous.

I think some forget she was literally running for her life at that moment, she was after all intending to escape in a Pod to Tatooine if I remember rightly from the ADF paperback?

Okay, let's assume she was told that. This was a private message inteded for Obi-Wan. Even if she feared the message could be intercepted, there's still no need to state a connection if she already knows him.

This is what I mean. If she knows him already, there's no need for a preamble of any sort. Just a simple "Greetings, Obi-Wan." and get on with your message.
Leia is royalty a Princess, There are levels of etiquette to follow.. They don't talk like regular folk they don't walk like regular folk. They are diplomats to a cause, country or continent, they speak politely but direct and to the point...

So with the series wrapped up, overall, I enjoyed it. There were some questionable moments, sure. Yet I thought it was fun, dramatic and emotional in the right ways, and young Leia stole every scene she was in.

However, I also still feel the series was completely unnecessary. It told us things we didn't need to know (similar to my gripes with Solo). All in all, it felt more like really well-produced fan fiction.

But I'm not mad at it. I just hope they leave it be and don't go for a second season.

I've been thinking about the possibilities for a second season or spin off, and what kind of direction it might take.
Some questions that spring to mind that could be fun to have answered:

What happened to the fortress inquisitorious on Nur? It doesn't seem to be a thing by the time we get to the OT.

Similarly, where do the inquisitors end up? We know the dates of some of them from Rebels, but are there others? The whole program seems to be gone by the OT.

When does Luke bullseye his first womp rat? Lol j/k

If Vader is compelled to cease his search for Kenobi, what is he doing?

Does Reva set up a seamstress shop on Tatooine?

So with the series wrapped up, overall, I enjoyed it. There were some questionable moments, sure. Yet I thought it was fun, dramatic and emotional in the right ways, and young Leia stole every scene she was in.

However, I also still feel the series was completely unnecessary. It told us things we didn't need to know (similar to my gripes with Solo). All in all, it felt more like really well-produced fan fiction.
..and that is what Disney is satisfied with, I think. We here at TheRPF are NOT the target demographic for this new SW. Oh, they will take our money, but it's not made for us.

I've watched several "YouTubers respond to Kenobi" videos. And while there is CERTAINLY some added drama for the clicks, there is a lot of excitement and emotional investment in the series. While most of these seem to be casual SW fans, some are definitely ultra-SW geeks. But many are younger than I am, from the generation that was NOT alive to see the SW trilogy during its initial theatrical run.

Maybe the entertainment bar is lower now.
Maybe we nit-pick because we care about it so much.
Maybe there is too much of it.
What was canon to my generation, in the way that we experienced the SW saga back then, was indelible but still expandable.
In today's social media world, canon is malleable.

When we bought the Kenner toys back then, we ripped them out of the packaging and took them on adventures around the house and outside.
When they buy the Hasbro figures now, they sit mint in package in a glass case.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about the possibilities for a second season or spin off, and what kind of direction it might take.
Some questions that spring to mind that could be fun to have answered:

What happened to the fortress inquisitorious on Nur? It doesn't seem to be a thing by the time we get to the OT.

Similarly, where do the inquisitors end up? We know the dates of some of them from Rebels, but are there others? The whole program seems to be gone by the OT.

When does Luke bullseye his first womp rat? Lol j/k

If Vader is compelled to cease his search for Kenobi, what is he doing?

Does Reva set up a seamstress shop on Tatooine?

The Inquisitors were a side thought here... not nearly thought through or fleshed out enough.
I'm thinking Knights of Ren level "And what do they do exactly? Why are they here? Are they powerful in the Force, or not?"

Maybe we nit-pick because we care about it so much.

I think this is the big thing. And I get it. I was at the theaters watching Star Wars when it was literally just "Star Wars" -- the "A New Hope" title wasn't even conceived yet. It's been a big part of my life for the overwhelming majority of my life. I truly get caring so much about it.

But I also think that's part of the problem.

Sometimes people lose sight of the fact that the Star Wars universe is so vast and has been around for so long that it can mean different things to different people. Different aspects of it can be a "favorite." And more importantly, we as fans can choose which parts of it we don't care for.

Debating the details, even passionately, can be fun. It's part of fandom, to some extent.

But there are people out there, many of them making YouTube videos, declaring authoritatively that Star Was is now ruined, that the whole thing is going down in flames, and we should all rise up against whatever Disney is doing -- all because whatever Star Wars property is out now isn't for them. It doesn't have to be. The other stuff is still there.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back