Star Wars Obi-Wan Kenobi (tv series)

In the first episode on Tatooine when the Inquisitors are in the cantina and the young Jedi runs away, he says something like, "You'll never find Ah_____ ." Did he say Ahsoka? It happened so fast and I missed it.

EDIT: He says, "You'll never find us all."

So… i rewatched it’s this morning, hoping to like it more. But it raised the same question for me

Is the “fake Jedi” setting obiwan up? Or is he really helping him?

That whole scene confuses me “well let’s get to him first” as he tells the little boy, he even pulls out a blaster

Then he talks to obiwan like he just met a NBA star…
That confused me as well. I thought he was working with the empire to lead innocent force-sensitive families right into their hands thinking they were going to escape. He was clearly a crook but all of a sudden becomes buddy buddy with Kenobi. I wouldn't have minded a change of character but it seemed very forced.

Ooooh boy, do I have thoughts on this mess…

To start off, I don’t abjectly hate it, but it swings back and forth between pretty decent and absolutely appalling.

Right off the bat, they play essentially a five minute-long trailer for the prequels before the show actually starts. Pretty sure everyone watching this is up to speed, guys, thanks. Don’t need to see this. Also, I’d rather them not rely on archival stuff. I’d rather them shoot new stuff with maybe a little de-aging, so that it aesthetically fits in with the cinematography and direction of the show. Plus it’s neat to see a different director/DP’s take on the same events.

I really do not understand the thought process behind asking John Williams to come up with one theme and then have someone else do the rest of the score. They did the same thing with Solo, and as a result the music here feels confused and inconsistent. It really is a shame, I think—I’m pretty sure Natalie Holt (the composer for this show) did the music for Loki, which I thought was stellar, but here, anything that isn’t the Kenobi French horn motif is shockingly bad and amateurish. Think trailer music/royalty free action music. Also, the distinct lack of classic Star Wars themes is depressing me in a major way with all these shows. Just give me a little something, please.

Ewan is entertaining. Always has been. He does a good job. That’s about all that needs to be said about him, other than I like his meat-monger? outfit, and the fact he carries a blaster. He has a brief interaction with a Jawa he knows which I really liked. The back-and-forth was nice.

What’s-his-face, Joel Edgerton I think? Does a good job as Owen, I really think so. Obi-Wan does try to give Luke the T-16 toy from ANH which made my eyes roll into the back of my head. Which is where they stayed anytime the Inquisitors were around.

Oh boy. The Inquisitors. Just plain awful. Cartoonish, silly, juvenile, and poorly acted. Everyone’s chewing the scenery but worse than that is that the actors clearly don’t think they are—they think they’re putting out some grand performance. The worst by a wide margin is Moses Ingram’s character. Terrible. There is a long, long sequence of her parkouring over rooftops and it’s just unwatchable.

Oh, and there’s a young Leia. Her teeth scare me and she talks incessantly. I guess she’s a decent motivation for Obi-Wan to leave Tatooine. Jimmy Smits sure is getting old, though. He does play Leia’s father well—I mean in the sense that we’ve already seen him as Bail Organa plenty, but seeing him interact in a fatherly role is nice. He felt genuine, even if Leia is very young. Can we just—can we as a society just make a rule to stop telling live-action stories about kids this young? Rarely if ever are they good enough actors and they just don’t make for very compelling characters.

A little Temuerra Morrison cameo as a Clone Wars vet. It’s a nice touch, I suppose. Weird that he’s in full armor, and it’s coincidentally the 501st too.

Kumail Najiani (I hope I spelled that right) wasn’t nearly as irritating or as present as I’d feared he’d be.

Um. I guess a lot (not all) of the designs look good. Love Obi-Wan’s blaster, as I mentioned before. A lot of the ships look nice.

Oh, and freaking heck, why was Flea on this show? So, so weird.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Story/character issues notwithstanding, the pacing is consistent, as is the direction and cinematography, which I can’t say for Book of Boba Fett, so there’s that.
Trailer? You mean the recap?… that you could skip, like any series that has a recap?

There was a literal “Skip recap” button. Heh

And dude it’s a little girl… probably best starwars fandom doesn’t cause another Jake Loyd over her looks.

I really enjoyed the first 2 episodes.

I’ve watched all of the Disney+ SW and Marvel shows and I’ve definitely learned not to judge a series until it’s over and definitely not to judge it by the first 1 or 2 episodes.

Overall I’ve enjoyed all of the Disney+ SW and Marvel shows because I go into them with zero expectations and I let the shows tell me the story they ‘are’ telling and not the story I ‘want’ them to tell.

Something I realized after watching Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness is that, with me, sometimes I like the story more than I like the movie or show. I thought MoM was a fine movie, but I didn’t love the movie as a movie but I liked the story the movie told. The story could have been told in a comic book, an 8 part Disney+ show, or in a novel, and I would have liked the story and enjoyed seeing the further adventures of characters I like. But the storytellers chose to tell the story as a movie so I took in the story through movie form. I don’t have to love a movie or love a tv show to love characters and love seeing their story continue.

I have faith I will really enjoy the series once I’ve seen all the episodes.

Watched it last night. I really enjoyed it.

Def playing a little loose with canon, but hey, if I complained about anything I’d have to nitpick… as someone stated above, if you’re coming in arms crossed, looking for problems you’ll find em. (Paraphrasing)

I’m def not as invested as most, so I don’t care how these characters stack up to the clone wars series or whatever… I just need to be entertained for 50 minutes and want to watch the next one, that happened… so thumbs up.

Thought Ewan was great… Owen was great… little Leia girl was great… really enjoyed her quips - it’s tough to find good kid actors… and that kid wasn’t jarring at all

My only real gripe - the little chase scenes with the kid drove me nuts… it’s probably been mentioned to death but if you can’t figure a way to make it believable she’s eluding adults in a chase, don’t do it.

Clearly what the editor had to work wasn’t great… I’m watching thinking “I can seeee the storyboards for this made sense on paper… “ but long shots of two adults pretending to run fast after a girl with legs half the length of theirs was bad…

That needed a lot of side shots… with foreground elements flying past quickly as their chasing…. Cutting back and forth… don’t put them in the same shot… cut in shots of her diving under fallen trees… let her go full tilt sprints on her singles…

Blah blah.

Oh and the parkour was weird.

8/10 for both eps! I’m in.

Someone mentioned “bladerunner 2049” score… I heard that mostly in the recap and loved it

Would like to hear more of it

It's perfectly reasonable to go into a show or movie with expectations. Especially if you already know the beginning and the end of a specific character's story. Those parameters are set before you even turn on your television or walk into the theater so it makes sense for an audience to expect certain things to happen, or not happen. When you've got the entire breadth of Kenobi's life spanning the saga films it'd be pretty strange to not take into account established story beats and events that define the character. Saying that doesn't matter means you might as well be watching someone else's story and not his.

That said I can understand that some fans go in just to be whisked away for a few hours, continuity or quality storytelling coming second to sheer entertainment. So I'm glad people are enjoying this so far.

It will be interesting to see how everyone responds to the end because.... it's going to be very divisive. I suspect a Last Jedi type of backlash all over again. Frankly that YouTube recap I posted was laughibly bad. Not the commentary. The show itself looks awful. I feel bad for Ewan and Hayden.

It's perfectly reasonable to go into a show or movie with expectations. Especially if you already know the beginning and the end of a specific character's story. Those parameters are set before you even turn on your television or walk into the theater so it makes sense for an audience to expect certain things to happen, or not happen. When you've got the entire breadth of Kenobi's life spanning the saga films it'd be pretty strange to not take into account established story beats and events that define the character. Saying that doesn't matter means you might as well be watching someone else's story and not his.

That said I can understand that some fans go in just to be whisked away for a few hours, continuity or quality storytelling coming second to sheer entertainment. So I'm glad people are enjoying this so far.

It will be interesting to see how everyone responds to the end because.... it's going to be very divisive. I suspect a Last Jedi type of backlash all over again. Frankly that YouTube recap I posted was laughibly bad. Not the commentary. The show itself looks awful. I feel bad for Ewan and Hayden.
IF the spoilers RE: the show's ending are correct, then... I'm ambivalent about it?

Rogue One went from a 6 to an 8 in many people's minds because Vader showed up at the end a rocked it like a Sith should. But does the Kenobi show have anything like that? I feel that is what fans are waiting to see... Hayden and Ewan going at it Force-n-Saber style. So it's POSSIBLE that our perception could be skewed positive if those scenes deliver.

BTW: There is a mental jump, seeing Ewan as Kenobi, at his current age watching over a 10 year old Luke, when Rebels ended the Darth Maul saga with a very Alex Guinness appearing Obi-Wan protecting a very young Luke (we see little Luke in the distance when Aunt Beru calls, still obviously a young child). i.e. Luke seems to be ABOUT the same age in both shows, but with a very different appearing Kenobi keeping watch.

Well, two things for certain after watching these first two episodes…

It wouldn’t be a Disney+ Star Wars series unless:
  • Someone is experiencing “flashback scenes” in their sleep, or
  • Someone is sleeping in a Bacta (tm) Tank.
Bonus points for the series if it can deliver both factors in the story.

Also, as an aside, the cameo by Bane had me scratching my head…

95065688-0E58-452D-88FE-B5258C06FDA1.jpeg

Last edited:
So let me get this straight…according to Kenobi the Empire now knows he is alive and is directly connected to Bail Organa, somehow….

…but the Empire, and specifically Darth Vader, never arrested the Organa family and squeezed them to find Kenobi’s whereabouts and allowed Bail to continue serving in the Imperial Senate?

I guess Vader forgot all about this episode…or, maybe he was too busy hanging out in his tank to follow-up on that issue?

87D84340-7CED-4D4F-839B-5911C648CCD9.jpeg

Last edited:
With Kenobi thinking Anakin is dead for all this time being on Tatooine is a bit more logical. Now that he knows Vader is alive it will interesting to see if the prospect of moving Luke off-world is brought up and also to see how/if Kenobi informs Owen about him being alive. I assume Owen already knows that Anakin fell to the dark side from the "Like you trained his father" line but maybe not.

So let me get this straight…according to Kenobi the Empire now knows he is alive and is directly connected to Bail Organa, somehow….

…but the Empire, and specifically Darth Vader, never arrested the Organa family and squeezed them to find Kenobi’s whereabouts and allowed Bail to continue serving in the Imperial Senate?

I guess Vader forgot all about that…or, maybe he was too busy hanging out in his tank to follow-up on that issue?

View attachment 1580407
exactly...

With Kenobi thinking Anakin is dead for all this time being on Tatooine is a bit more logical. Now that he knows Vader is alive it will interesting to see if the prospect of moving Luke off-world is brought up and also to see how/if Kenobi informs Owen about him being alive. I assume Owen already knows that Anakin fell to the dark side from the "Like you trained his father" line but maybe not.
thats another thing... the most fear dude in the galaxy "darth vader" the emperors special agent.. does all the dirty work.. rarely does anyone see him, but everyone knowns he exists... helps Pap's keep fear in the galaxy... and kenobi has never heard stories of the infamous "darth vader"

c'mon....

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back