Star Wars Obi-Wan Kenobi (tv series)

Wolfsburg

Master Member
The OT has bigger retcons within itself. I am not bothered by this supposed flub in the least. Given the general level of ignorance in our world currently it's entirely probable that not EVERYONE knows and recognizes Vader. But next up I'm sure we'll have someone turning around and complaining that they made Star Wars too small and it's weird how everyone knows everyone and weird cameos happen.
I'm just commenting on the fact that Vader was indeed known, at least until Rebels implied he wasn't. SW is full of retcons and they're fine if they don't contradict existing lore. Pablo, the Storygroup and whomever else in charge of keeping the lore consistent don't seem to be particularly good at what they do or don't care.

Joek3rr

Master Member
I really don't understand your logic. Sincerely. Either he's feared or he isn't. Could you clarify?
My point is, that he doesn't need a reputation to be feared. When those Rebel troopers scream out and fear, it's because of what see, and they're being ripped apart. None of those troopers need to know about Vader for him to instill fear and terror in them.

Joek3rr

Master Member
"Darth Vader...only you could be so bold"

Clearly it was implied he was known and had a reputation, regardless of how Rebels may have screwed with that canon.
Leia was a member of the Imperial senate. I'm sure Vader was seen from time to time in the senate, particularly accompanying the Emperor. And from their dialogue, we could infer they've even met before, perhaps spoken to each other.

Joek3rr

Master Member
I didn't see Vader as Tarkin's lapdog in ANH despite Leia's leash comment. When people are upset they exaggerate to try to insult others, even as a young kid watching the film I knew that. Motti during the Death Star Imperial meeting was extremely full of himself while trying to get under Vaders skin so he made some really dumb comments and paid the price. No one else said a word or interfered so the idea that everyone in the room felt that way is unsubstantiated in OT canon. They were silent because they didn't want to get in the middle or they weren't messing with Darth Vader/didn't agree with Motti. My view is the later. If you look at their faces some look terrified when Vader is choking Motti.
I would say it's the fact that Tarkin, a politician, is able to command Vader. In "Empire" and "Jedi" Vader actually seems like he's second to the Emperor. He's bossing around admirals and moffs.

Wolfsburg

Master Member
Leia was a member of the Imperial senate. I'm sure Vader was seen from time to time in the senate, particularly accompanying the Emperor. And from their dialogue, we could infer they've even met before, perhaps spoken to each other.
I wouldn't doubt that at all. I'm sure all the other thousands of senators and their entourages were also aware of him as well and whatever "boldness" his exploits made him known for. Seems unlikely he was kept under wraps and word wouldn't have gotten out. Rebels and now the Kenobi show contradict that sadly.

Psab keel

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
That Vader guy must be somebody important. Dude's always at the company meetings. :lol:

The onus of the new material is how well it fits into the old, not the other way around. What makes these changes more apparent is when you're telling a story that takes place between two existing trilogies with characters and scenarios we already know very well. If the new stories are based almost entirely on techincalities then it exposes the weakness of either the premise, or the writing.

If people love the new stuff? More power to you. I mean that sincerely. I don't get it at all, and likely never will, but seriously, I'm happy for you. I'm just asking questions and making observations.

ScourgiousJinx

Sr Member
I would say it's the fact that Tarkin, a politician, is able to command Vader. In "Empire" and "Jedi" Vader actually seems like he's second to the Emperor. He's bossing around admirals and moffs.
As I'm sure you know, in the US we have a politician commanding all of our armed forces so Tarkin being a politician never really made me bat an eye. I agree that from ANH-ROTJ Vader visibly becomes more influential in terms of command but that doesn't mean he was unknown throughout the galaxy between ROTS and ANH.

Joek3rr

Master Member
I wouldn't doubt that at all. I'm sure all the other thousands of senators and their entourages were also aware of him as well and whatever "boldness" his exploits made him known for. Seems unlikely he was kept under wraps and word wouldn't have gotten out. Rebels and now the Kenobi show contradict that sadly.
I'm sure rumors were about. But not necessarily his name, or what he looks like. I highly doubt Obi-Wan living off-grid in a cave on Tatooine would have heard of Darth Vader. Maybe something about the Emperor's enforcers, but not necessarily his name. And in Rebels, they know they've encountered a Sith.

Wolfsburg

Master Member
If seems likely that if any number of people had seen him or knew about him, they also knew his name and could describe what he looked like. He strikes quite a silhouette. It wouldn't have been so implausible that Obi-wan would've overheard Vader being mentioned at some point by a coworker or perhaps more likely in a cantina somewhere, maybe even from a holonet feed like we see in The Mandalorian announcing the DS2 blowing up. Of course, canon dictates this somehow didn't happen but it seems like a bit of a leap for me that Obi-wan had not heard something in 10 years, even on Tatooine.

vaderbreath

Sr Member
Enjoyed it for the most part. Loved seeing Ewan reprise this role. I agree with much of the crticism-slow Leia and slower chasers; seemingly common knowledge about Anakin being Vader; and goofy parkour. Reva is my biggest gripe. The issue I have is that she is not threatening at all. In a galaxy of aliens, monsters and droids, she just doesn’t feel like a threat despite the actress overacting it. She possesses Jedi/Sith abilities (if she can do the Kylo mind read power, why not use it all the time?), and is seemingly more powerful than the other Inquisitors. Maybe give her a helmet or make her an alien species, but a small human just isn’t threatening in this galaxy-male or female. The fact that the Grand Inquisitor isn’t prepared for her attack is silly. She’s a loose cannon that’s just been fired, so he just casually walks up and gets sabered without considering she may be ticked? And he’s a Grand Inquisitor? Makes no sense.

Despite that, I’m excited to see where this will all go. I never expected to see Ewan and Hayden reprise their roles. Think there may be a Kenobi/Captain Cody reunion?

Psab keel

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So for those of you who dislike Reva and her performance, you're going to really hate her by the end. Trust me.

ALLEY

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm sure rumors were about. But not necessarily his name, or what he looks like. I highly doubt Obi-Wan living off-grid in a cave on Tatooine would have heard of Darth Vader. Maybe something about the Emperor's enforcers, but not necessarily his name. And in Rebels, they know they've encountered a Sith.

Darth Vader was renowned as not only being bold, but also being a cheapskate.

The PR firm he used to keep his name in the press, “McKlunky & Associates”, were compensated only so far as it took to produce Vader stories and PR stunts within the core systems…if you resided in the outer rim, you likely never heard the name “Darth Vader”.

2CDF00EE-498D-4BBD-944C-74CB799EA42C.jpeg

kalkamel

Master Member
So for those of you who dislike Reva and her performance, you're going to really hate her by the end. Trust me.

It's not hard to see from the first two episodes that we're in for a redemption story arc with her character. In fact I have a feeling that she's gonna be the Galen Marek of the Disney Star Wars canon.

Jaitea

Master Member
As I'm sure you know, in the US we have a politician commanding all of our armed forces so Tarkin being a politician never really made me bat an eye. I agree that from ANH-ROTJ Vader visibly becomes more influential in terms of command but that doesn't mean he was unknown throughout the galaxy between ROTS and ANH.
I had it in my head that Vader was #2 to the Emperor because of the Sith, separate to the military, Tarkin was the top of the Military, the Death Star being their ultimate weapon.
When that is destroyed by the rebels, specifically by a Force user, Vader moves from his position of Jedi hunter into leader of the Military to hunt the Rebels down

Vader wasn’t Tarkin’s lapdog, Vader was on an entirely different mission

A bit like when Sidious introduces Maul to the Neimodians

J

Master Boda

Sr Member
It's not hard to see from the first two episodes that we're in for a redemption story arc with her character. In fact I have a feeling that she's gonna be the Galen Marek of the Disney Star Wars canon.
If true that does fit the script, I don’t trust her without the Sith eyes.
Disney SW is a pig in charge of the animal farm alas.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.