Star Wars is tearing my life apart

Yeah, I have to go in with Dan on this. That article is awful, comprised mostly of "sounds bites" given completely without context and framed in the article to invite an unflattering interpretation.

I have no real opinion about Jake Lloyd one way or another. And I'm really not ready to form an opinion of him based on some brief and ****ty article in the Daily Mail.

Last edited:
SIXTY interviews a day. really. so you work about 8 hrs a day, that makes each interview about 7 minutes, and no time at all for anthing else.
don't think so.

I've chatted with Jake online a few times, but he does avoid talking about Star Wars. He was picked on a lot and blamed a lot for the movie being as bad as it was.

Very nice guy tho...just very hurt by the experience.

The movie was not bad. Just not as good as the original trilogy. :)

That's a shame. I honestly was surprised that they made the jump in age from TPM to AOTC and Jake didn't get to portray anakin in a second movie. Logan is another who I feel bad for too.

I normally stay out of these kinds of discussions on the RPF out of respect for the forum; however, while I agree with what you've said here, I have to add that most of what the kids receive, is brought on by themselves. I was a severely overweight poor kid in a private school. The "bullying" came, and I took it in stride, with a sense of humor, and it quickly stopped.

A bully will only bully those he can.

I saw it happen to other kids repeatedly. I would even try to explain to them. Let it go. Laugh it off. Move on. The ones that got it, came out the other side. The ones that didn't, fed the fire.

Some kids just have more complex problems then others.. Some kids are "made" to be bullied, even if they take in stride. I know I never really took it in stride, I tried once but just couldn't take it. Buck teeth, glasses and a bowl cut got me some hazing, but it didn't stopped there. They also picked on the way I behaved as a human being, like what I loved. Yes, I think I deserved it and didn't in other cases, but it doesn't change the fact that some people are just easy targets for bullies, especially if it's "natural born bully." Those people who pick on others until the day they die. It probably would of been better if I just laughed, but it doesn't change the fact that it hurts not to be accepted socially by your peers, because it's not always a joke and they don't always back down.

How does anyone here possibly know what he was paid for the work? And then speculate he could retire? I seriously doubt that.

You gotta admire him for sticking to his guns there and not caving in for a paycheck...... oh wait.
QUOTE]

I don't think being 8-13 years old let's you make choices as an adult. It's not like he was doing that work as an adult, is it now? Add to that that his 'agent' and mother are the same person? How much protection do you think he got from doing those gigs? Also, I'd call into question what kind of percentage she took from TPM of Jake's overall fee.

I say blame the Mom then!

His Mom didn't have to get him in to audition for that role. She didn't have to sign the contract. She could have walked away with a child who may have lived a more normal childhood.

OR....

She did him a favor because after that he didn't want to grow up in the Hollywood click.

Kid, you worked with Arnold Schwarzenegger and got to be Darth Vader in an official Star Wars movie. That was my dream when I was your age, and you got to do both. That's not a bad accomplishment.

:)

Boooo hoooooooo..........why me???? Why me? Why did I have to be in a STAR WARS movie???????? Boooo hooooooooo. F off punk!

Noooooooo that's not even remotely what I said. You tried to call him out for cashing cheques from doing SW game voice work and not "sticking to his guns". Those would have been 10 year old guns at that point - willing to guess how much say he would have had either way about those jobs if his mother/agent who evidently allowed an ugodly number of interviews per day during the buildup to TPM was offered some gigs for her client? You don't get to call him out on that because he was a freaking pre-pubescent kid when that work was done.

".....yes, that's right, it's because of how I was treated after Star Wars that I decided to quit acting! It was a bold and brave choice to do so, but I'm sticking to my guns! I will NEVER return to acting and it's STAR WARS' fault! But hey, I'm doing great now, my life is better than I had ever hoped it could be.....But I digress, where were we? Oh yes, Would you like fries with that?"

Man there's a lot of d***s showing up for this thread.

I'm not going to pull quotes, but I'm really disappointed in a lot of the posts made here. Geez, you guys.

You have no idea what this kid's life has become, the things he's been through. Try to imagine it for a second, seriously.

Watch that "10 years after" video. He's a good guy who doesn't deserve the bulls**** that many of you give him.

*edit* actually, I just can't resist quoting this one.

Boooo hoooooooo..........why me???? Why me? Why did I have to be in a STAR WARS movie???????? Boooo hooooooooo. F off punk!

Well-spoken, man. Well-spoken...

Logan is another who I feel bad for too.

I do feel bad for Jake. You can't give someone **** and a pie crust and expect them to make apple pie out of it. The writing and the direction not good in TPM. Witness the wooden performances of otherwise amazing actors like Liam Neeson, Ewan McGreggor, and Natalie Portman.

As for Dan... Well, Dan has really embraced the Star Wars fandom and has made the best of the situation. He actively interacts with the fans and accepts that while his role wasn't the best in the movies, he did the best he could with what he got.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back