Star Wars is tearing my life apart

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Supa troop, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Supa troop

Supa troop Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

2. abaddon1974

abaddon1974 Active Member

Making an 8 year old do 60 interviews a day is child abuse.
    It wasn't the film that ruined his life, it was his parents for not protecting him from the pressures of being an actor.

3. jcoffman99

jcoffman99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Were they actually interviews or was he refering to the kids at school asking him questions all day?

I'm sure that it was awful being that young and trying to go to school while having been a part of the biggest movie in 30 years. No kid would be equiped to handle that.

4. defstartrooper

defstartrooper Sr Member

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  5. hankey01

hankey01 Sr Member

I've chatted with Jake online a few times, but he does avoid talking about Star Wars. He was picked on a lot and blamed a lot for the movie being as bad as it was.

Very nice guy tho...just very hurt by the experience.

6. DoubleD

DoubleD Sr Member

The sad thing is people no doubt blame him for crappy dialogue/writing. The poor kid was only 8 years old and got ham strung playing a role that very few kids could have pulled off given the material they had to work with.

7. Master Dahark

Master Dahark Well-Known Member

Jesus he looks a good 10-15 years older than he really is in that pic!!!

It's a shame. Too bad Episode II was filmed so close to Episode I. Maybe if he had time to grow a bit he could have continued playing Anakin (because Hayden's not that much better) and he'd have been better off today

*or maybe he'd have been even worse, who knows, lol

8. Commander Max

Commander Max Sr Member

Here is a strange turn in an article about a bitter child star.
    Isn't there a basic rule in writing to keep on topic?

You can't help but feel sorry for Jake, lets hope he got paid really well(and figured out how to keep it).

9. Fizbin

Fizbin Well-Known Member

Yeah well, it's common knowledge that actors are a special breed of unstable people at any age, so what's the problem? :wacko

10. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

It wasn't his fault Episode 1 was rubbish - it was bad writing and bad direction, that's the simple truth of the matter.

He's young - I'm sure it'll all blow over and his life will move on in a more positive way. Perhaps he'll remember his unique experiences more kindly 20 years from now.

11. NakedMoleRat

NakedMoleRat Sr Member

Pu-leez! :rolleyes

No one will give me a job because I suck at acting and am no longer cute! I know, I'll blame George!

12. CeSquared

CeSquared Sr Member

So he's 22 now and he's still * because kids were mean to him when he was 8?

Dude needs to move on.

13. defstartrooper

defstartrooper Sr Member

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  14. fettster

fettster Sr Member

I don't think he has come across very well from that interveiw. Sounds spoilt and blames everyone else.

15. Robert412

Robert412 Well-Known Member

Apparantly, ani being a whiny bee-yotch wasn't much of a stretch for him... Acting wise.

16. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member

I love people who blame everyone else for their problems. I suppose his tortured existence is why he acts like a total * at autograph signings. I took a photo of the guy from across the autograph hall once and he darted across the room to make me erase the photo. No lie. Luckily he's electronically challenged and I scrolled to a different photo to "illustrate" that I erased his pic. What a dork.

17. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's it right there!

"The 22-year-old became so haunted by the movie he vowed never to act again and he has stayed true to his word."

What a load of crap! He can't get a job because he's a lousy actor and severely type-cast. He doesn't want to come off looking like a has-been so he's taking the road as the martyr, trying to make the public believe he's no longer acting because he CHOSE to. Whatever, dude. You're not fooling anyone. If you really felt that way you wouldn't have had ANY part of the video games.
    If some producer offered you a role in a movie I GUARANTEE you would suddenly come out of "retirement"! :rolleyes

18. Funky

I'm curious, how did he "make" you? If it were me I would have laughed in his face and walked away, not erasing anything. :lol

19. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Sounds like a punk who doesn't want to face reality and the fact that he probably got picked on for being an obnoxious brat and Star Wars just gave them more ammo.

20. jcoffman99

It amazes me the names people throwing around here about him while not knowing the "real" situation. Just in the few responses posted look at all the name calling. And most of us are adults. Now imagine a 13 year old surrounded by 13 year olds dealing with this every day.

I'm not saying he's a victim. Again, I don't know the story. I wasn't there. But I do work in a school and I see how kids are towards each other on a daily basis. Throw in the idea of celebrity and the teenage mentality of, "Hey watch me get Mr. Star Wars going." and I could very easily see how his school years were terrible.

21. Funky

I completely agree that he was probably tortured mercilessy for his best known role. However, I don't buy that he "retired" because of the verbal abuse.

22. MFP 2020

MFP 2020 Sr Member

"You're tearing me apart, Star Wars!!!!"

Just one more example of how the over-cuteness that got you child acting jobs makes you look weird as an adult. (See also Jack Wild, Johnny Whitaker.)

23. Flagg

Flagg Sr Member

I was bullied big time when I was a little kid. To the point that I had to go to the hospital with a broken wrist. Does that mean it would be ok for me to blame all of my troubles today on that? Please. What it did do for me is it got me into martial arts and weight lifting, which put an end to the bullying toot sweet let me tell you. It also almost led me to a pro-wrestling career that due to stupidity injuries was stopped before it got going. Personally, I think some bullying can be a good thing.

Teaching kids that it's ok to be whiney and cry "poor me" nonstop from being picked on is not a good thing. It should teach you how to deal with the douchbags of the world and how to pull yourself up when you get knocked down. Just my two cents.

24. Birdie

Birdie Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sounds like a lot of butt-hurt SW fans on the RPF really do believe Lloyd is to blame for the dross that is TPM.

Otherwise they might have noticed that the 'interview' in question (from the UK's worse crap-rag redtop, btw) has just pulled a few quotes from god-knows-where with no context or attribution :rolleyes

25. Robert412

Robert412 Well-Known Member

I normally stay out of these kinds of discussions on the RPF out of respect for the forum; however, while I agree with what you've said here, I have to add that most of what the kids receive, is brought on by themselves. I was a severely overweight poor kid in a private school. The "bullying" came, and I took it in stride, with a sense of humor, and it quickly stopped.

A bully will only bully those he can.

I saw it happen to other kids repeatedly. I would even try to explain to them. Let it go. Laugh it off. Move on. The ones that got it, came out the other side. The ones that didn't, fed the fire.

26. jcoffman99

I gotcha Robert. I was bullied almost all of 8th grade until one day I snapped and knocked him down. He never bothered me again. Had I known I would not have waited a year. I did not however bring it upon myself. I didn't know this kid. I would never had associated with him. He just settled on me one day in the cafeteria before school.

27. slave1pilot

slave1pilot Sr Member

JAAAAMIIIEEEEEE!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

28. aeonpulse

aeonpulse Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hahahahahahah, oh man, I totally forgot he was in Jingle All The Way...

29. Supa troop

Supa troop Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

so he doesn't mind sitting down signing autographs for a nominal fee then :rolleyes

30. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I got my @ss handed to me daily in highschool and nobody cared. Now kids just want to be crybabies and if they fight back they end up the bad guys not the bullies.

31. Betamin

Betamin Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I was just thinking that myself, as I saw that he's coming to Kansas later this month to a small con that I usually go to each year.

While kids can be cruel and may have been a little jealous that the kid that was in a Star Wars movie was in their school and decided to pick on him, I'd say he can't complain too much when he's making $20-25 a pic just to sit and sign his name thanks to the role he now hates.

32. niennumb1

niennumb1 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Pffff.... made his life a living hell, while at the same time made him so much money he could retire at any age he'd like to after that experience and live out the rest of his life on a secluded island if he wanted to.

That kid's got a hell of a long life left to live with many years to make up for the anguishing experience he had from one movie he could have separated himself from if he did other films to dilute it a bit more.

I think Star Wars has torn our lives apart more than his. Financially it always seems like we have money owed to Lucas for a new product coming out or replicas and costumes we make.

Lucas got Jake PAID. There's a lot more positive aspects he can be thankful for Star Wars for.

........ Or did he get screwed and not make much money at all from Episode I and i'm just way out of line?

33. jcoffman99

Seems to me I remember Ewan saying you don't do Star Wars to get paid. I don't think George pays too well.

34. Goonie

Goonie Sr Member

35. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

I hear Gary Coleman's hiring for parking lot security..... They should talk..

36. niennumb1

Gary Coleman.... the same one now in the afterlife?

37. Lost21stJedi

Lost21stJedi Well-Known Member

He said to a magazine: 'I've learned to hate it when the cameras are pointed at me.'

Didn't he learn anything...hate leads to the darkside :confused

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  38. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Ok, first off, I don't know if we'll ever know if he could or couldn't act, but I certainly wouldn't suggest that Jingle All the Way or The Phantom Menace are good yardsticks by which to judge acting talent. Especially for the poorly written kiddie roles and likely equally poor direction. Talented adults have a rough go of it in these films, so it should come as no surprise to anyone that some kid didn't exactly knock it out of the park.

Second, seriously? Folks here can't see why his experience with the films would've made him, oh, I don't know (A) a target, and (B) a bit bitter at it all? Come on. This ain't like "Oh, I was fat and I got picked on" or "I was a nerd and I got picked on" or "The older kids on the bus used to punch me and call me names." The kid was in one of THE biggest films of that time period, and it was...rather poorly received to boot. You can't be a kid, go make a film like that, and then just go on living a normal life. You can't move to another town and start over -- you'll always be "That kid who was in that crappy Star Wars movie."

Third, the notion of "Oh, suck it up." Really? I mean, in addition to being bullied as a kid, he's widely reviled for stuff he had no control over, even today. We have stories of members HERE who have -- completely unprovoked, mind you -- confronted and insulted him just for funsies. The dude gets to live THE REST OF HIS LIFE with that hanging around his neck. Christ, the notion that he hasn't offed himself in the face of all of this, I think, is testament to the fact that he's actually not some weak, whiny little b**ch.

Also, read the article. He blames George not for his treatment by other kids, but for his lack of enjoyment of the films. Here's the relevant quote.

Moreover, the article uses only a few actual direct quotes from him, none of which sound particularly bitter, whiny, or angry without the rest of the article to frame them. For all we know, when he said he destroyed his Star Wars memorabilia, he might've been laughing about it, instead of scowling while cutting himself with whatever sharp implements were handy as emo music blared in the background.

Also, the dude's 22 now, so even if he is still pissy about it, he's still just a kid with a lot of growing up left to do, and there's no shame in that. I'd bet that plenty of folks on this board, when they were 22, still maybe carried around a grudge about some kid they went to school with who * them off. Not necessarily crippling emotional baggage (although I'm sure that's possible as well), but more "Ugh. Man, I hated that guy Steve. What a dick he was. Anyway, you catch the game last night?"

And retiring from acting? Yeah, I don't blame him. Granted, his career was probably shot, but hell, that hasn't stopped legions of jackass celebrities to keep banging away doing crappy TV movies, direct-to-video garbage, or -- god forbid -- celebrity VH-1 shows. Instead, the guy walked away, which given that his mom is an agent, was probably no easy task. Stage mom, anyone? Granted, that's pure conjecture on my part, but then that hasn't stopped anyone in THIS thread, it seems...

jcoffman99 likes this.
  39. jcoffman99

Well said Solo.

40. Darth Fetty

Darth Fetty Well-Known Member

Agreed.

Not a particularly well done article anyway.

41. squirk

squirk Sr Member

Yeah, I have to go in with Dan on this. That article is awful, comprised mostly of "sounds bites" given completely without context and framed in the article to invite an unflattering interpretation.

I have no real opinion about Jake Lloyd one way or another. And I'm really not ready to form an opinion of him based on some brief and ****ty article in the Daily Mail.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  42. Wolfie138

Wolfie138 Well-Known Member

SIXTY interviews a day. really. so you work about 8 hrs a day, that makes each interview about 7 minutes, and no time at all for anthing else.
    don't think so.

43. MClass

MClass Active Member

Exactly what I was thinking. Seems a bit exaggerated.

44. Colin Droidmilk

Colin Droidmilk Sr Member

And even if he WAS bad, it wasn't his fault but Lucas's for hiring him.

45. darthfoster

darthfoster New Member

The movie was not bad. Just not as good as the original trilogy. :)

That's a shame. I honestly was surprised that they made the jump in age from TPM to AOTC and Jake didn't get to portray anakin in a second movie. Logan is another who I feel bad for too.

46. Stormie

Stormie Well-Known Member

Some kids just have more complex problems then others.. Some kids are "made" to be bullied, even if they take in stride. I know I never really took it in stride, I tried once but just couldn't take it. Buck teeth, glasses and a bowl cut got me some hazing, but it didn't stopped there. They also picked on the way I behaved as a human being, like what I loved. Yes, I think I deserved it and didn't in other cases, but it doesn't change the fact that some people are just easy targets for bullies, especially if it's "natural born bully." Those people who pick on others until the day they die. It probably would of been better if I just laughed, but it doesn't change the fact that it hurts not to be accepted socially by your peers, because it's not always a joke and they don't always back down.

47. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

So, I guess the line: "I was Anakin Skywalker" doesn't work with the ladies?

Yeah, I'd be * too.

(joking aside... I'd buy him a beer)

48. Bryancd

Bryancd Master Member

How does anyone here possibly know what he was paid for the work? And then speculate he could retire? I seriously doubt that.

49. Timmythekid

Timmythekid Sr Member

50. niennumb1

I say blame the Mom then!

His Mom didn't have to get him in to audition for that role. She didn't have to sign the contract. She could have walked away with a child who may have lived a more normal childhood.

OR....

She did him a favor because after that he didn't want to grow up in the Hollywood click.