Star Wars Holiday Special Discussion Thread

You know, I've come to the conclusion that there is no way to edit The Holiday Special live action segments and make it a good show. It's just bad, all the way around.

You just got to love the clumsy, old girl for what she is: a bumbling embarrassment.

palpatine-smile.gif

You know, I've come to the conclusion that there is no way to edit The Holiday Special live action segments and make it a good show. It's just bad, all the way around.
CA.jpg

I think I'll cheat and make it into more a music video style, but see if I can still retain the Life Day getting Chewie home. I might even go extreme and make it a short, which would be 59 seconds. Might not be doable....but at least more watchable.

View attachment 1676856
I think I'll cheat and make it into more a music video style, but see if I can still retain the Life Day getting Chewie home. I might even go extreme and make it a short, which would be 59 seconds. Might not be doable....but at least more watchable.

See what you can do with The Donny and Marie Star Wars Special, when you finish The Holiday Special.

See what you can do with The Donny and Marie Star Wars Special, when you finish The Holiday Special.

After watching Donnie in this (first) take for Weird Al video, all is forgiven.

As for Holiday special, to this day I've never been able to get all the way through in one sitting. I've only seen all of it once and I had to break it up over three days. I can't even appreciate the badness of it since I can't get past the boringness of it.

I finally sat down to watch the holiday special end to end over Christmas in all it's terrible glory... with my daughters. If I have to summarize this experience up in one word it would be 'uncomfortable'.

I've watched clips before, but wow, just wow. 'Plan 9 From Outer Space' seems to be the defacto worst movie ever, but this is in a class of it's own

As for Holiday special, to this day I've never been able to get all the way through in one sitting. I've only seen all of it once and I had to break it up over three days. I can't even appreciate the badness of it since I can't get past the boringness of it.
I think it took me 2 or 3 days as well.
You kinda end up with a feeling of....What in the world did I just watch?????

I have a very rare form of social disorder that is empathetic to the point of pain. I can't watch as someone else fails. It has caused me to miss many live performances, speeches and similar. It often manifests watching prerecorded events as well. Two things have caused me the most severe discomfort, Star Wars Holiday special and once when Rhianna and two guys sang live on a parade float without auto tuner to save them. I can now add the Donny and Marie special, thanks you hoser.

Wow!... I must have had a brain wipe I've never seen that in my life!

Marie looks a bit too good as Princess Leia.
If only Paul Lynde had been in the Starwars Holiday Special..

You younger folks today have it too easy. Back in my day we had to watch the Holiday Special on television in real time, and it was the only material we had outside of the movie theater. Imagine the sleepless nights leading up to this television event and actually being grateful for having any Star Wars content to watch. Kids back then were capable of suspending disbelief and filtering out some nuggets of positive content (e.g. Boba Fett) from that septic river of programming and discuss them excitedly at school the next day.

Kids growing up today are too soft. We had to watch the whole damn thing in real time with commercial breaks. Even then we had our eyes glued to that dusty CRT.

We didn't have the luxury of complaining because it was all we had. I don't remember kids at school saying anything critical, really. Only in retrospect (after ESB etc.) can we look back and cringe. When all you've ever had to eat is porridge, it doesn't even occur to you to complain. The Holiday Special was our porridge.

Last edited:
You younger folks today have it too easy. Back in my day we had to watch the Holiday Special on television in real time, and it was the only material we had outside of the movie theater. Imagine the sleepless nights leading up to this television event and actually being grateful for having any Star Wars content to watch. Kids back then were capable of suspending disbelief and filtering out some nuggets of positive content (e.g. Boba Fett) from that septic river of programming and discuss them excitedly at school the next day.

Kids growing up today are too soft. We had to watch the whole damn thing in real time with commercial breaks. Even then we had our eyes glued to that dusty CRT.

We didn't have the luxury of complaining because it was all we had. I don't remember kids at school saying anything critical, really. Only in retrospect (after ESB etc.) can we look back and cringe. When all you've ever had to eat is porridge, it doesn't even occur to you to complain. The Holiday Special was our porridge.
I remember watching this the ONE time it originally aired in the U.S... but I honestly cannot remember if I saw the entire thing.

And you are correct. ANYTHING Star Wars was fun back then.

Skip forward 5 years and we have The Ewok Adventure / Caravan of Courage. THAT was when the cringe set in.

Am I the only one who Actually has a scrapbook of Holiday Special newspaper cuttings :0

I remember watching this the ONE time it originally aired in the U.S... but I honestly cannot remember if I saw the entire thing.

And you are correct. ANYTHING Star Wars was fun back then.

Skip forward 5 years and we have The Ewok Adventure / Caravan of Courage. THAT was when the cringe set in.
Ewoks were the Pirates of the Care-Bear-Eon

If you could Ai in the cast singing some of The Doors greatest hits and give the whole thing an Apocalypse Now vibe, maybe even rip the script here 'n' there, I wonder if that would help....

LA Princess
Troopers On The Storm
Death Star Drive - Let's Swim To The Moon, Uh-huh - That Ain't No Moon (reprise)
This Is The End - ft the full cast (obviously R2 will have to 'bleep' the last few lines)

That be right nice.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back