Star Wars Fan Props used in Films/TV

AnthonyD2199

I've noticed that from The Force Awakens onwards Lucasfilm has utilized the services of many fan communities for Prop and Costume pieces like getting the R2 Builders Club to create the R2 Droids used in The Force Awakens and Far Away Creations creating Helmets and Costume parts for Rogue One and more recently Imperial Surplus building the HK Droid armour for The Mandalorian. I love that Lucasfilm is including the fans in the Productions Is there a list of all the fan companies that Lucasfilm has used services/products from in the Recent productions?

I've noticed that from The Force Awakens onwards Lucasfilm has utilized the services of many fan communities for Prop and Costume pieces like getting the R2 Builders Club to create the R2 Droids used in The Force Awakens and Far Away Creations creating Helmets and Costume parts for Rogue One and more recently Imperial Surplus building the HK Droid armour for The Mandalorian. I love that Lucasfilm is including the fans in the Productions Is there a list of all the fan companies that Lucasfilm has used services/products from in the Recent productions?
Probably on Imdb.com :unsure:

In some cases Lucasfilm has simply purchased props from unlicensed makers instead of them being hired to work on the films/shows.

There are ton of examples in The Mandalorian. In some cases they've borrowed stuff from 501st members, as well as having members appear in the show. We usually don't find out until they post about it social media.

Steve Butler also made the Royal Guard helmets in Rogue One.

The thermal detonators in one episode of season 2 are from Roman Props. The CZ3 head in the Cobb Vanth Jawa flashback is from Zorg. The mythosaur pendant seen throughout the show is also a fanmade item that predates its appearance on the show.

Wasted Fett made Boba's shoes in The Book of Boba Fett. Machine Craft Replicas made the rangefinder ear on Boba's helmet in The Book of Boba Fett.

Lucasfilm also used Roman Prop's Graflex replicas to make the repaired Skywalker Lightsaber for The Rise of Skywalker I believe.

It's worth noting that although the droid builders for the sequel trilogy are members of both the R2-D2 Builders Club and the UK Droid Builders Club, the droids weren't "Club builds." Lee and Oliver got hired because of the skills they developed building their own droids, to be sure, and the TFA droids lean on the Club designs quite a lot, but apparently they aren't really the same as the typical "club build."

Of course, your sentiment remains valid, since most of the droids in Rogue One are actual Club builds that were hired for the shoot.

My understanding is that when Lucasfilm the company and all of the Star Wars IP was sold to Disney, none of the props were. So when a Disney era production needs an Original or Prequel Trilogy style prop, they need to recreate it. It only makes sense to turn to the people who've already developed the skills and techniques required to build those replicas to build new props for the movies - or, when practical, to rent props and wranglers. It's much like when the film Gettysburg used a few thousand re-enactors as extras.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back