Done / Completed Star Wars Ep7: REY'S BLASTER kit - now upgraded!

Re: Star Wars Ep7: REY'S BLASTER kit

Also... here's how to set up the moving trigger.
trigger.jpg

I also suggest using a couple screws to secure the grip frame to the body backplate for extra durability. It's not essential, so I didn't model screw holes into it, but if you're going to be trooping with it, the extra durability could be warranted.

Also... here's how to set up the moving trigger.
View attachment 578764

I also suggest using a couple screws to secure the grip frame to the body backplate for extra durability. It's not essential, so I didn't model screw holes into it, but if you're going to be trooping with it, the extra durability could be warranted.

Thank you for posting this!

I received my kit and wow top notch 3D printing, great job. Just wondering two things for putting the kit together. How do you securely attach the handle Parr to the body of the blaster? And for the safety switch how do you attach that and is there a way to make it movable part?

Thank you for posting this!

I received my kit and wow top notch 3D printing, great job. Just wondering two things for putting the kit together. How do you securely attach the handle Parr to the body of the blaster? And for the safety switch how do you attach that and is there a way to make it movable part?

Glad it got there! : )

Normally I would just glue the handle. Preferably use SOLVENT BASED ACRYLIC CEMENT (plexiglass glue, such as Acrifix 116 which should be available in the US) on any 3d print that is done in PLA, because it welds it just like model glue does with styrene. (You can also use superglue and epoxy of course, but the acrylic glue is far superior.)

As mentioned above, you can also add some strength with a couple small screws right through the "plate" that connects to the grip frame. It's not essential, but it WILL give you a bit of extra strength if you plan to handle the gun a lot. Like this:
screws.jpg

If you use small wood screws, you can just scew them right in. Just be careful around the trigger guard. (I added a couple freehand just to try and it worked fine.) But again, it isn't essential.

The hammer (as I've taken to calling it, but maybe it IS supposed to be the safety) attaches with the same type of screw as the rest of the gun. One at the top and one at the bottom. There are screw holes in the center grip frame for it. As far as I can tell, it doesn't move on the real prop. (I suppose an alternate hammer could be made that does slide, but it might affect accuracy.)

Does anyone else (who has gotten their kit) feel like the blaster is small? Not that JOATRASH FX's kit is incorrect, but that it's just a tiny gun? The trigger section seems like it was made for someone with very tiny hands. Daisy Ridley must be very petite.

Does anyone else (who has gotten their kit) feel like the blaster is small? Not that JOATRASH FX's kit is incorrect, but that it's just a tiny gun? The trigger section seems like it was made for someone with very tiny hands. Daisy Ridley must be very petite.

Look at how Ford grips it. It nearly disappears in his hands! (It feels fine in my hands, but I usually have a size M in gloves.)

IMG_4180.jpg
I've been going home during the day to get in some sanding time while it's still light outside and today I had a chance to get to the hardware store and get a coat or two of filler primer onto some of the parts. Then it's back to sanding!

Hey ho folks. So, having your appendix removed after a flash visit to the emergency room is lots of fun! (insert sarcasm) I woke up about two hours ago and the RPF is the first place I visited after letting folks know. I must be nuts.

Anyway, this puts a dampener on my hopes of getting the next shipment out this weekend, because I'm nor very mobile at present . Looks like it will be delayed for at least a week. On the plus side, I'll be home and running the printer, so I might be able to get all remaining orders out at once.

It also means I'm comfortable accepting more orders, so PM if you want one.

Cheers
//Joe

Thanks everyone! I actually just got back home, nice'n'high on morphine pills and antibiotics. : )

I also have some cool news. I've just UPGRADED the kit. A page or so back, MiraDarkstar asked about a moving safety and well, even though I don't think it's screen accurate (doesn't look like it moves in any photos I've seen) I got it in my head to try it as a challenge... and to make sure those of you who so kindly part with your money for these things get the best stuff I can do. (I know my kits cost more that some, but I try to make them worth it.) So... here it is:

rey_safety.jpg

I managed to get it working on my own test build. It's a bit fiddly to put together (see the above instruction image)- you need to trim a little until it moves freely in the groove, but I'm going to automatically include it with all the kits from now on. Those of you that really want one and already has gotten their kit, let me know via PM and I'll print one up for you too because I don't want anyone missing out on any upgrades just because you ordered first. Visually, there's no real difference if you just want to assemble it static aside from the fact that I've actually gotten the knurling to have better definition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a reminder: all currently ordered kits are delayed due to my recent surgery but will (hopefully) go out around the weekend of the 6-7th of Feb.

If you want a kit, I can still crank out a couple until then and get them out at the same time. (I can't really leave the house, but I can hobble to the workshop and manage the machine, lol.)

Thanks for the well wishes and understanding everyone!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back