Star Wars Blu ray - PowerDVD 11

jme3

Sr Member
Having had PowerDVD in various versions over the years, I downloaded the trial version of PowerDVD 11 weeks ago to review it for the eventual purpose of Star Wars on Blu ray. Since my trial version was set to expire before Star Wars was released on Blu ray, I went ahead and upgraded to the full version to the tune of something like a hundred bucks. I was otherwise satisfied with the trial version of this after using my other Blu ray discs for testing, so I had no reason to be suspect. Now that I've gotten (had for a week or so) the Blu ray versions of Star Wars, NONE of them play on my computer. They work flawlessly on my standalone Sony Blu ray player, but all of the discs in this Blu ray set will seize my computer up every time. Nothing in my entire collection of other Blu ray discs is a bother; they all play flawlessly on PowerDVD 11. Even Avatar, which stopped playing long ago on my previous version of PowerDVD, is now once again playing without a hitch. But not this Star Wars. Is anyone else having this issue? If so, what's the catch?

Might not be PowerDVD 11. When I put The Phantom Menace in my Sony BDP-S470, the player froze. Had to unplug it and then plug it back in. Worked fine after that.

PowerDVD 11 doesn't accept Lucas' new changes either apparently! Pop in Episode III and see if it works, since that's the only true theatrical version out of the 6 films. If that doesn't work then yeah perhaps there is something more of a problem than my original thought that PowerDVD secretly has a grudge with George Lucas.

It's not a total lockout like San Quentin, but it's still a stammering, stuttering mess... :confused

PowerDVD 11 doesn't accept Lucas' new changes either apparently! Pop in Episode III and see if it works, since that's the only true theatrical version out of the 6 films. If that doesn't work then yeah perhaps there is something more of a problem than my original thought that PowerDVD secretly has a grudge with George Lucas.

I do not use PowerDVD, but I am having a similar experience.

Every media player on my laptop is up to date, and the driver on my Blu Ray drive is as well. Despite my best efforts, none of my discs play either. The most I got was a red error screen on TESB disc telling me I needed to update my player, which I am guessing is some sort of default message.

I'm no Blu Ray expert by any means, but I would go as far as to say this problem is definitely not limited to PowerDVD. I'm guessing the SW Blu Rays have a new format, codec, or what have you that most computers have not caught up to just yet.

Hopefully time will solve this issue.

I do not use PowerDVD, but I am having a similar experience.

Every media player on my laptop is up to date, and the driver on my Blu Ray drive is as well. Despite my best efforts, none of my discs play either. The most I got was a red error screen on TESB disc telling me I needed to update my player, which I am guessing is some sort of default message.

I'm no Blu Ray expert by any means, but I would go as far as to say this problem is definitely not limited to PowerDVD. I'm guessing the SW Blu Rays have a new format, codec, or what have you that most computers have not caught up to just yet.

Hopefully time will solve this issue.

Thanks for everyone's reply.

To Agent RayBans:

I'm definitely not an expert in these matters either, but I'm inclined to agree with you about it being some sort of new codec or whatever. There's really no other explanation since I'm having no problems with any of my other Blu ray collection, and as mentioned before, even one that gave up the ghost on the previous version of PowerDVD is now working flawlessly.

So, here we are...:unsure

I have a PS3 and didn't have problems playing it. However, it DID display a message when i launched the movie about maybe needing to update the player . As I was about to say 'aww crap' since it takes forever for my PS3 to update (don't really know why, just takes a long time to download) it went in to the movie and all was well.

Have a guy at work who just got the xmen movie and apparently that blu-ray is plagued with errors...The solution on those is because of the internet. Unplug your internet connection (usually turn off your router), unplug the br player. restart the player, somewhere in settings, delete what was already downloaded for the movie, insert the disk and play. Once playback begins, you can turn the router back on. Doubt this applies to PowerDVD, but thought i'd post it just in case.

It is definitely Power DVD. I've updated Power DVD but it keeps telling me that I don't have the proper video cable running from my computer to my HD monitor. Star Wars plays fine in my son's Play Station 3 using RCA cables hooked to an old TV. I can copy Star Wars using DVD Fab and it plays in the DVD Fab viewer. It's not just Star Wars though. I got Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes on Blu-Ray and it won't play either. Both are released through 20th Century Fox. Fox seems to be putting some code on it's Blu-Rays that Power DVD won't recognize. It's definitely Power DVD. I also got Lord Of The Rings on Blu-Ray and it plays fine with Power DVD.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back