Star Wars: 2022 High Republic Era

No it wasn’t for everyone. It played to specific demographic that just didn’t know what they were until they saw this.
And no. Not everyone loved it either. But people who would also see this were also limited in what was available to see at the time.
You’re old enough to remember that we didn’t have 10 movies a month in megaplexes.

And which specific demographic do you think it played to? Because I saw the original movie many times in many different theaters with quite diverse audiences. Back then, it was common for audiences to applaud when the final credits rolled. So firsthand, I experienced that a majority of people across diverse backgrounds in 1977 seemed to enjoy the film they had just watched. A good story is a good story, regardless of how many other films happen to be released in a month. And by the way, there were plenty of other movies that people could watch in theaters or on t.v. at the time, too, Sonny-boy. ;)

And which specific demographic do you think it played to? Because I saw the original movie many times in many different theaters with quite diverse audiences. Back then, it was common for audiences to applaud when the final credits rolled. So firsthand, I experienced that a majority of people across diverse backgrounds in 1977 seemed to enjoy the film they had just watched. A good story is a good story, regardless of how many other films happen to be released in a month. And by the way, there were plenty of other movies that people could watch in theaters or on t.v. at the time, too, Sonny-boy. ;)
Some people like to gatekeep—“nuh uh, lots of people don’t like (fill in the blank), only a few! That’s why I’m special! I liked it better when I got bullied for liking this!” You just have to laugh it off haha

I really liked the look of the old republic in most of the comics and games we've seen it in. If they decide to stay pretty "loyal" to that, I think I'll enjoy the look of it. Where everything was ornate, Grand, and massive.

While I don't remember things like "proto x-wings" specifically ;), they're WERE some elements like that. The main ones I can recall are:
- badguy troopers looking almost like black painted storm troopers.
- badguy fighters looking like "high speed" tie fighters
- badguy (and even some good guy) capital ships looking like Star destroyers. Even simple stuff like capital ships not being pointed upfront, or having an off center bridge section (aircraft carrier style) would help a lot.

I kind of like the aesthetic that old republic was classy looking, and culturally bloated; concerned with looks. And that the original trilogy period was when all that crap went out the window, and we got nothing but practical, unpretentious, pointy edged, stuff.

I really liked the look of the old republic in most of the comics and games we've seen it in. If they decide to stay pretty "loyal" to that, I think I'll enjoy the look of it. Where everything was ornate, Grand, and massive.

While I don't remember things like "proto x-wings" specifically ;), they're WERE some elements like that. The main ones I can recall are:
- badguy troopers looking almost like black painted storm troopers.
- badguy fighters looking like "high speed" tie fighters
- badguy (and even some good guy) capital ships looking like Star destroyers. Even simple stuff like capital ships not being pointed upfront, or having an off center bridge section (aircraft carrier style) would help a lot.

I kind of like the aesthetic that old republic was classy looking, and culturally bloated; concerned with looks. And that the original trilogy period was when all that crap went out the window, and we got nothing but practical, unpretentious, pointy edged, stuff.

That's exactly what I hope that we don't see in this new movie series. I don't want any more proto-Clone/Stormtrooper. If we're going to have Republic troopers, I hope that they aren't fully armored and at the same time, not completely armored except for a helmet either. I hope that they come up with a brand new look for them, nothing too familiar looking.

Same with the ships, as much as I liked the trailer for The Old Republic MMO, I really hated how the Sith were using what were basically proto-Star Destroyers. I want ships that don't look like a flying Doritos chip in space. Given how far back this series is going to be set, I feel that this would be an excellent opportunity to basically break the mold on what starships look like in the Star Wars universe.

Not a movie series, but a story taking place across novels, comics, and magazines.

On the one hand, I'm not surprised, and these could still turn out to be good.

On the other hand, I'm really, really, really ready to move beyond the Sith vs. Jedi timeline. Enough. Let's see what happens next.

The future will have Jedi in them and some will inevitably go bad and the cycle repeats itself. Doesn't matter if it's pre, post, 1000 years +/-, or whatever.

I don't think it is gatekeeping to recognize the fact that there were indeed people who did not like Star Wars back in 77. Sure, it appealed to a wide audience and was immensely popular, no doubt about it, but oh yes--there were definitely people who did not like it.

I'm curious about how they'll handle the Nihil and what this supposed fight for "control of the force itself" entails especially without the Sith. Wondering if they'll ever incorporate a group or species in canon that are unable to be sensed through the force like the Yuuzhan Vong. If they do something very different with it it could be interesting but not holding my breath.

Last edited:
Not a movie series, but a story taking place across novels, comics, and magazines.

488C0039-5FA7-4E24-9DF7-3F96B6260E5C.jpeg

No interest in this offering.

I’ll pass...

I dig it. As much as I'd enjoy a good old republic movie or show right now; I don't think the general viewing public understands the concept well enough for it to do well. ("This doesn't look like star wars; which one of these guys is Darth Vader's father again?")

If we're able to get a few fun comics out of it, that's fine by me. I like a good star wars comic.

There’s some interesting ideas, hope they base some designs on a style like The Star Wars comic series

Classic Sci fi

J

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back