Star Wars 1977 Toys R Us Character Tour

TK765

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Here is a trip down memory lane probably not many have seen, it was a promotional tour showing off 3 Star Wars characters.

Back then you found out things by reading the newspaper which my parents did and they saw an ad promoting this for a day in October 1977 at the Madison Heights Michigan "Toys R Us". Keep in mind Star Wars was still in theaters and I was obsessed as were most everyone else.

You can imagine my 12 year old excitement with the thought of seeing Chewbacca, Vader and my favorite, the Stormtrooper!

The day arrived and we headed out with our 110 cameras loaded with film and 4 sided flash bulbs. They had the main perimeter isle ways that followed the outside north and east walls roped off so you had to go down other isles to see. By the time we arrived it was packed and we just got to one of the last of the isles before the characters would exit.

The following are the pictures my mom and I took. I did not include the Chewbacca as it was a rather sad costume using a Don Post mask but can include if people really want to see.

After this she took me to a McDonalds across the street for lunch as we were starving. Incredibly, both the Toys R Us and McDonalds as of 2012 are still there, updated of course. Oddly enough the picture of TRU from Google taken in Oct of 2012 looks exactly like the day we went, cloudy and cool.

Tour.jpg

Tour20Vader.jpg

Tour20Vader2.jpg

Tour20Vader4.jpg

Tour20Vader3.jpg

toddRealanhTRU.jpg

ANHtoddsmith2.jpg

toddRealanhTRU2.jpg

TRU-2012_zpsdvvb9ikk.jpg

Last edited:
Great pics! Sounds like you've got some great memories of that day too. I love seeing stuff like this. Thanks for sharing.

Any idea what that life size Raggedy Anne looking thing is behind the Stormtrooper? Looks pretty creepy.

Any idea what that life size Raggedy Anne looking thing is behind the Stormtrooper? Looks pretty creepy.

Yeah they also were promoting Raggedy Anne and Andy, along with Geoffrey and Baby Gee I believe. Not sure why, all anyone cared about was Star Wars :lol

Awesome thread. Would you post the Chewbacca pics though? I want to see what they tried to get away with.

Awesome! Poor Vader had his belt on upsidedown. Not sure if it's a tour suit, since this is October 1977, was there a tour suit this early, or were they using the real deal?

Thanks for posting these pics of Chewiee. Aside from the bear suit, the head doesn't look completely terrible. I mean, if they could have affixed it to the guy's face somehow...
Do you remember if Chewiee's hands had bear claws?

amazing!!!! most people lost these old photos... thanks for sharing! it was an amazing time to be a star wars fan.. I was 10 years old in 1977!

We had the same thing in San Diego.
Vader's helmet was crooked for one appearance, at the end of the walk he straightened it and everyone cheered.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back