Star Wars 1977 Toys R Us Character Tour

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by TK765, Jun 14, 2015.

1. TK765

TK765 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Here is a trip down memory lane probably not many have seen, it was a promotional tour showing off 3 Star Wars characters.

Back then you found out things by reading the newspaper which my parents did and they saw an ad promoting this for a day in October 1977 at the Madison Heights Michigan "Toys R Us". Keep in mind Star Wars was still in theaters and I was obsessed as were most everyone else.

You can imagine my 12 year old excitement with the thought of seeing Chewbacca, Vader and my favorite, the Stormtrooper!

The day arrived and we headed out with our 110 cameras loaded with film and 4 sided flash bulbs. They had the main perimeter isle ways that followed the outside north and east walls roped off so you had to go down other isles to see. By the time we arrived it was packed and we just got to one of the last of the isles before the characters would exit.

The following are the pictures my mom and I took. I did not include the Chewbacca as it was a rather sad costume using a Don Post mask but can include if people really want to see.

After this she took me to a McDonalds across the street for lunch as we were starving. Incredibly, both the Toys R Us and McDonalds as of 2012 are still there, updated of course. Oddly enough the picture of TRU from Google taken in Oct of 2012 looks exactly like the day we went, cloudy and cool.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    GTImotion, MAAZ, Blue Leader and 2 others like this.
  2. belloq

belloq Well-Known Member

Awesome story and photos. Thanks! I believe that is a tour vader suit, but an original stormtrooper suit.

3. matty matt

matty matt Sr Member

Great pics! Sounds like you've got some great memories of that day too. I love seeing stuff like this. Thanks for sharing.

Any idea what that life size Raggedy Anne looking thing is behind the Stormtrooper? Looks pretty creepy.

4. TK765

Yeah they also were promoting Raggedy Anne and Andy, along with Geoffrey and Baby Gee I believe. Not sure why, all anyone cared about was Star Wars :lol

5. cavx

cavx Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome stuff. Thanks for sharing TK765.

6. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome thread. Would you post the Chewbacca pics though? I want to see what they tried to get away with.

7. gizmo

gizmo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Fantastic. I've always loved your Stormtrooper pics from that day. :)

Ben

8. dday

dday Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome! Poor Vader had his belt on upsidedown. Not sure if it's a tour suit, since this is October 1977, was there a tour suit this early, or were they using the real deal?

9. gizmo

gizmo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'd say real deal with Kermit Eller inside. ;)

Ben

10. eifion

eifion Well-Known Member

Cool thread :)

Looks like the trooper had one of the very few Hero helmets too.

11. Darth Niob

Darth Niob Sr Member

Dont believe that...this guy inside the suit is clearly from a small built and hasnt Ellers specs. I also doubt that this is the screen used suit but a very early tour suit.

12. TK765

I will do so, probably later tonight.

mugatu likes this.
  13. TK765

Here's Chewie!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mugatu likes this.
  14. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks for posting these pics of Chewiee. Aside from the bear suit, the head doesn't look completely terrible. I mean, if they could have affixed it to the guy's face somehow...
    Do you remember if Chewiee's hands had bear claws?

15. Doh2

Doh2 Sr Member

Wonderful photos!! Thanks much for uploading these.

16. TK765

If my memory is correct they were not bear claws, just the same hair covered gloves as the body.

mugatu likes this.
  17. Edwardowan

Edwardowan Sr Member

amazing!!!! most people lost these old photos... thanks for sharing! it was an amazing time to be a star wars fan.. I was 10 years old in 1977!

18. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow! I know I have seen that pic of Vader in TRU a gew years ago on RS I think, but thank you so much for sharing thw rest of those!

scarf man likes this.
  19. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

We had the same thing in San Diego.
    Vader's helmet was crooked for one appearance, at the end of the walk he straightened it and everyone cheered.

20. R2Dan

R2Dan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

sweet pictures. Must have been awesome, seeing the real deal up close :)

21. MacBeath

MacBeath Active Member

I remember Vader visiting my local independent toy shop in a small town in north east Scotland some time after Empire came out. No troopers, just a chap in a suiit, who even my 12-year old self knew was too small, accompanied by a couple!e of suits. Didn't stop me queuing up to get a piece of paper signed "Darth Vader" mind...

22. Broilermaker

Broilermaker Sr Member

So long ago, I believe my parents took me to see that also, but man that was a galaxy far away