Star Trek TMP Wrist Coms

Cameron

Sr Member
Heres a few wrist coms made from Eric's great kits. One is the hero and the other was worn by Kirk in the long shots. These were tougher than I thought but Im happy with how they turned out.
IMG_7797.JPGIMG_7798.JPGIMG_7806.JPGIMG_7811.JPG

Holy schnikes! :eek Those look fantastic, Cam! I love what you did with both of them. Looks like the tutorial I provided you with helped with the hero unit ;) Btw, I'm loving the detail you added to the mid-grade unit worn by Shatner in the long shots. How did you manage to detail it like that?

Cameron, my only hope is that my wrist communicator looks as good as yours does when I'm done... Yours are gorgeous. :) I'm actually using your pics for reference due to them being that nice... Thanks for referring to Eric!

Now I seem to remember a more pointed phaser design. Not what we saw in ST II, but with a little of the dustbuster TNG type emitter to it . This phaser was going to be in ST: TMP but was never used...

so is one a hero as in working lights and sound? Love these!

The one on the right in Cameron's pics is one of two hero-type units made for TMP. There was a high-detail (what I refer to as "HD") static "hero" unit like shown above which was worn by the main actors, and also a hollowed-out unit detailed the same way that had warm white GoW bulbs in it which was attached to a power supply worn on the actor's belt.

Cameron, my only hope is that my wrist communicator looks as good as yours does when I'm done... Yours are gorgeous. :) I'm actually using your pics for reference due to them being that nice... Thanks for referring to Eric!

And thanks for sending him my way! Given how little interest these have generated in the past, it pleases me when I'm able to pass one of these on to someone I know will enjoy it.

As soon as they hit the Junkyard, I'll take two.

To be honest, these kits have been available for sale since June 2013, lol.

I just never posted an interest or sale thread here as I've noticed the Star Trek items don't really get much interest here at all, so I just never saw the point in it. I mainly posted this over at TPZ, since I know there's a bigger Trek following over there.

As I don't have a Premium account, I wouldn't have the means to post a sale thread in the Junkyard here.

That being said, I recall a friend here (who has a Premium account) offered to post sale threads for me for anything I might want to try selling here. I don't really know if something like this would generate enough interest, though. Might get a couple more people, but probably not more than that.

EDIT: After looking at the guidelines for the revamped Classifieds forum, what I mentioned above would not be doable, as "shilling" (selling an item on behalf of someone, or selling for a third party) is not permitted. I don't really frequent the RPF often enough to justify getting a Premium membership, so there won't be an interest or sale thread posted in the "Junkyard" forum. Sorry, fellas.

Thanks for the kind words Rylo..

Funky, Eric makes the raw kit but I am open to build up commissions.

As Cameron said, I do offer the raw kits, even without a FS thread. A basic kit comes with a solid resin comm unit, aluminum wrist band, strip of self-adhesive black felt for lining the inside of the band (like on the screen-used originals) and a square piece of brushed aluminum vinyl for detailing the top.

It should be noted that what I include in the kit is enough for doing a mid-grade unit, there are additional materials to be bought by the builder if they wish to do an HD unit as Cameron's done.

When I first made these kits available last summer, I did offer build-up services at the time. Given the difficulty with some of the details, and also the short span of time I have to work on them before the weather gets too cold to primer or paint anything, I gave that up after less than six builds.

I have six outstanding orders to complete this summer for full hero units, with fully enclosed electronics to resembly almost perfectly the screen-used originals. Those have been waiting to be done since last year, so once those are taken care of I think I'll be done with build-ups for these.

@Cameron: Sorry for hijacking your thread, buddy. Just figured it was easier to address all the above questions/comments here, given the discussion's already been started here.

Last edited:
As much as I didn't like TMP (pretty much like everyone else, lol), I have to admit their revisions of the standard props -- Communicator, Tricorder -- were really well done.

Doesn't mean I like the film itself anymore than I did :p but I have to give them credit for having come up with some nice redesigns for the hand-held equipment.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back