Star trek: The next generation 25 anniversary

Wow! I don't know how much of this is CGI, but the ship looks like the original film element :thumbsup

01.jpg

02.jpg

If anyone can spot what's CGI (and if so how accurate it is) and what's HD film transfer it's the RPF. I'll be watching this thread for the asccuracy experts to chime in ;)
I suppose if the did CGI the Ent-D it opens up the whole 6ft vs 4ft model can 'o worms.

Comparing the above shot to an original episode, the ship details are identical. Even the people moving in the windows look exactly the same, just more clear. The stars are different, it looks like they scanned the original film of the ship and added a new background.

Two thoughts:
I just realised I'm gonna have to get a Blue-ray player (or a blue-ray drive for my computer).

HD screen-caps will mean a whole new wave of prop/graphics details to study/drool over.

Sorry if I spoiled it a bit for you John.

I remember sitting in front of the tv for the premiere of TNG back in '87. Mixed feelings on the episode. The "Jellyfish aliens" holding... tentacles as they floated away... Yeah, didn't instil a great deal of confidence in me for the series. :lol

However, there were some okay episodes for the first season ("The Battle"), and very good episodes in the second ("The Measure of a Man"). TNG of course didn't hit its stride until midway through the third season for me. When "The Best of Both Worlds" part 1 ended in that amazing cliffhanger, I knew it was going to be a loooooong summer!

I'd love to have TNG on blu-ray (probably have to donate a kidney for it, if it ever happens), but I find that the dvds I have hold up fairly well.

I would like to be able to zoom in on those "in jokes" in the panel labels etc. :thumbsup ;)

Kevin

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm not terribly excited about Farpoint being on this sampler. I realize it was the premier... but God was it a terrible episode. Whenever I introduce someone to the series, this is not the episode I start with.

Now do we know if this is just a test to see how it will do in sales before attempting the rest of the series? It seems that if they are actually going back to all the original film elements and redoing some of the special effects... it's going to be incredibly expensive and time consuming. It would make more sense to gauge interest first... the best way CBS knows how to do that is with sales money.

I really don't think the DVDs hold up well at all. They may have on a regular TV screen, a few years ago... but on an HDTV they look terrible. The latter shows hold up much better.

...but boy are these gonna be expensive.

I'd love to see Best of Both Worlds or Yesterday's Enterprise in HD

Maybe they're doing Farpoint because, once you've got all the model shots from that scanned to HD, you have about 90% of the stock shots used for the first 3 or 4 seasons?

everything but ds9?????????
picard.gif

:lol

That made me literally lol.

I love TNG - has always been my favorite. Having it 'updated' to a higher quality would be amazing as long as they don't re-engineer any of the scenes to make them look 'better' (ie TOS, or worse the new Star Wars bluray collection) - that just screws with your memories of how great it was!

One of my favorite episodes of TNG is Booby Trap. That would be a wonderful episode to have an increase in image quality (the as has been previously stated, my DVD collection holds up pretty well already).

What I don't like is what this video shows:

Star Trek The Next Generation Official HD Transfer trailer - YouTube

It's clearly a marketing ploy to get you to buy this 3 episode set, and within 6 months full seasons will start rolling out....and then you'll have to purchase that too...then you'll have double of some episodes only to wish that you had waited for the full season.

It's the whole Star Wars "these are the disks you've been looking for" paradox. It gets you to buy the release, the re-release, the re-re-release, the re-re-re-re-release, and then to go see it in the theaters not once but twice and then in 3d....

:behave

Last edited:
Count me in as stoked that there are many people going to great lengths at great costs to get TNG up to HD standards! Bravo Paramount!

That looks awesome! Since I've been rewatching TNG and introducing it to my family, watching it on a HDTV is tough. I actually connected my sons wii to the old tube television and we prefer watching it that way.

Oh and DS9 will be on Netflix starting in October.

Wow! I don't know how much of this is CGI, but the ship looks like the original film element :thumbsup

01.jpg

02.jpg

One of the problems with the first 2 seasons was the music, it was...Sparkly is the only word I can use to describe it, but season 3...WOOF especially by The Best of Both Worlds Finale, when they show the Borg cube and they used the vocal chorus, just genius.

Now I did a custom video edit years ago, where I took the opening of DS9 with the Battle of Wolf 359, and inserted it into the BOBW episode. When they tell Riker down in Engineering "The Fleet has engaged The Borg at Wolf 359" and Riker walks out, I cut to that opening. I'd love to see something like this as an extra.

Indeed^^

I believe that DS9 opener shows the "USS Melbourne" being destroyed by a Borg beam; it could easily be intercut with Admrial Hanson's transmission being cut off during the battle in TBOBW pt1.

Kevin

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back