Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Troll.
Screenshot 2022-05-19 150621.jpg

Some of us may question how or why some can like it, but no one here has dumped on you for it.

Person A: “I don’t like this new product because the writing is bad, it dumps on the source material, and it jams politics in at every opportunity.”

Person B: “Sexist! Bigot! How dare you attack people who like this product!”

Person A: “That’s not what I said. I said the writing was bad, and that the product just isn’t very good in general, to say nothing of the other factors.”

Person B: “How dare you tell me that I can’t like this product! You’re a toxic fan with an axe to grind! If you don’t like it, don’t watch it! And if you don’t watch it, don’t bother to voice your opinions!”

Person A: “I didn’t tell you that you can’t like this product. I just wish that these things weren’t written in a way which is really shallow, dumb, and divides people. Can’t we all just get along?”

Person B: “Everything was fine until you came along with your constant hate! You just hate anything new and different, and can’t handle the fact that the product is moving forward without you!”

Person A: “…I’m pretty sure everything was fine until hack writers came along to ‘fix’ this product and ‘update it for modern audiences’. And make it much, much dumber. We shouldn’t lower our standards just because something is shiny and new and chases of-the-moment social trends. I just want this product to be high-quality, successful, and respectful to the audience and its intelligence.”

Person B: “You just can’t handle change! Stop being a hater and a sexist!”

And so on.

Mixed feelings on this one. A fair episode. Not sure that I like Number One being an alien.

I’m not liking Hemmer at all. He’s way too arrogant and full of himself. Besides, didn’t we already have a blind chief engineer?

I like how Spock is being handled. How we are seeing him become the person we knew under Kirk.

The sets are beautiful.

Doctor M’Benga is good so far. His sick daughter is a cool twist. Though, if he was the chief medical officer under Pike, why was he just a background doctor under Kirk?

All in all, I thought this was a good episode. The character development is going well, though with only 10 episodes, there’s only so much you can get to.

TIL calling people apologists is not dumping on people.
If you see yourself in that description then I don't know what to tell you. That was a general statement aimed mostly at folks on Twitter, Youtube and media sites. Never once have I singled out a forum member to shame them for their opinions, only when they do so to others.

Doctor M’Benga is good so far. His sick daughter is a cool twist. Though, if he was the chief medical officer under Pike, why was he just a background doctor under Kirk?

He must have *****d up big time to lose the CMO stint to McCoy when Kirk takes over the Enterprise. Hearing the dialogue between M'Benga and Number One about Starfleet regulations against using genetic modified blood, I can't help but get the sense that the writers can't differentiate between the Federation and Starfleet, since the intro log entry mentioned the Federation ban against genetic modification.

Also, weren't Denobulans also into genetic engineering?

Hearing the dialogue between M'Benga and Number One about Starfleet regulations against using genetic modified blood, I can't help but get the sense that the writers can't differentiate between the Federation and Starfleet, since the intro log entry mentioned the Federation ban against genetic modification.

…but…but the Federation is a humanitarian and peacekeeping armada…!

He must have *****d up big time to lose the CMO stint to McCoy when Kirk takes over the Enterprise.
Maybe he went on an extended leave and McCoy was already there when he got back? I ended up getting a long term contract after replacing someone on mat leave even once they came back.

Person A: “I don’t like this new product because the writing is bad, it dumps on the source material, and it jams politics in at every opportunity.”

Person B: “Sexist! Bigot! How dare you attack people who like this product!”

Person A: “That’s not what I said. I said the writing was bad, and that the product just isn’t very good in general, to say nothing of the other factors.”

Person B: “How dare you tell me that I can’t like this product! You’re a toxic fan with an axe to grind! If you don’t like it, don’t watch it! And if you don’t watch it, don’t bother to voice your opinions!”

Person A: “I didn’t tell you that you can’t like this product. I just wish that these things weren’t written in a way which is really shallow, dumb, and divides people. Can’t we all just get along?”

Person B: “Everything was fine until you came along with your constant hate! You just hate anything new and different, and can’t handle the fact that the product is moving forward without you!”

Person A: “…I’m pretty sure everything was fine until hack writers came along to ‘fix’ this product and ‘update it for modern audiences’. And make it much, much dumber. We shouldn’t lower our standards just because something is shiny and new and chases of-the-moment social trends. I just want this product to be high-quality, successful, and respectful to the audience and its intelligence.”

Person B: “You just can’t handle change! Stop being a hater and a sexist!”

And so on.
A sentiment I would add is it's unnecessary to repeat the same statements over and over at every opportunity or whenever an opposing opinion is aired. This applies to those who enjoy and don't enjoy content. It comes across as badgering which makes the air negative for everyone and discourages people from contributing to or even reading threads they'd be otherwise interested in.

No one is forced to read though and if nothing changes in the near future I'll probably not even bother as well which would suck because some members here have incredibly interesting perspectives and unique thoughts. Some of which have greatly impacted my own. Anyhow carry on, I mean no harm.

Last edited:
So apparently Number One's backstory was actually taken almost wholesale from DC Fontana's "Vulcan's Glory" novel. And I checked the episode's credits... Dorothy was not credited at all.

Also, on the issue of genetic modification, didn't Chapel use that in the first episode to disguise the landing party? So its allowed in certain instances?

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back