"Star Trek Phase II/New Voyages" gets C&D over Spinrad script

...and most of the old fans I know see it for the abomination it is! :lol

I guess it falls into which catagory fan you are, one who thinks any thing slapped together with the Trek label is all right, or one who likes something more thoughtfully put together :unsure

Most of the old fans like me, that I know, are just fine with JJTrek. Don't know who is taking a poll though. Just more unsubstantiated RPFacts, I guess.

Personally I think that Trek is played out and needs a nice, long rest. It's been beaten to death, nothing can go on forever. I think Cawley and his team have done a more than fair job of being faithful to the OS for all us Old Timers who still treasure it.

I guess it falls into which catagory fan you are, one who thinks any thing slapped together with the Trek label is all right, or one who likes something more thoughtfully put together :unsure

Veiled insult at best.

I've watched Trek since the 70s. Saw every film in the theater. Watched every series (with the exception of Enterprise) in its initial television run. Star Trek is my favourite franchise, and WOK my favourite film.

I know the difference between fluff/crap and when a film/episode truly sends a message to make you think.

I have to say that I was a staunch hater of Abrams' film when I first watched it.

Having revisited it two years later, I've come to enjoy it as the entertainment it is meant to be. Emphasis on "entertainment."

But "Trek" hasn't really been about "Trekking" since 1994... At least that is what "I" believe. TNG was for me, the last great Trek show to capture what "I" think was Roddenberry's vision of our future.

DS9 wasn't about Trekking (and last seasons were about war and explosions). And while Voyager tried to do the Trekking essentially in reverse well... it was close but no cigar.

But I was still entertained by both DS9 and Voyager. There were some great episodes, and once in a while there was gold.

The films have been about baddies and space battles since '91.

There have been times where I have thought that "If this is what Trek has become, then I would rather it stayed dead"... Sitting on my porch telling the young ones to get off my Bridge. :darnkids :lol

But I love Star Trek! Dammit! :) I still have every series, every episode that drew me in and hooked me as a Trekkie. The new film has not changed this. How can it?

What is funny is that in the last week I pulled out of storage a few VHS (!!!) tapes of Trek specials such as the 25th anniversary, and "Ultimate Trek: Trek's Greatest Moments" (hosted by Jason Alexander). It was a wonderfully nostalgic trip down memory lane! A time when Trek was on top of its game. As already mentioned it was a great time to be a Trek fan.

Am I a huge fan of Abrams' film? Of course not! :lol

However I'm not a huge fan of Nemesis, Insurrection, Enterprise or the last couple of seasons of Voyager either (and First Contact while well done, wasn't about Trekking as well).

Trek has become less about the message and more about entertainment. And I have become "okay" with that, because I don't want Trek to fade away into nothingness.

We will still get our "Final Frontiers", "Insurrections", "Samaritan Snares" and "Way to Edens"... So long as we get an occasional "City on the Edge", "Best of Both Worlds" or "Wrath of Khan", I’ll continue to support the franchise.

Hailing frequencies closed. ;)

Kevin

Last edited:
...and most of the old fans I know see it for the abomination it is! :lol

Since you seem to think you have the final word on what is good and what isn't.

Why don't you write and produce just ONE good Star Trek episode?

I'd really like to see that. I mean you know what makes good Star Trek for everyone. It should be a snap.

I know that lots of folks like to praise TOS as being a message show and certainly that does play into the fan following today. But let's be clear, Trek has always been about entertaining people first and messages second. Roddenberry was very much aware that if it wasn't entertaining it wouldn't stay on the air
(at least in the 60s he knew that. In later years he convinced himself that Trek was about everybody being more evolved and getting along all the time. Kinda made me want to ask him if he ever watched TOS).

Spock and McCoy fought just about everytime they were in a room together. And if you noticed each threw out a lot racial insults. The crew disagreed with each other, got angry from time to time and made mistakes. Women were treated more as sex objects that full fleged memebers of the crew. I cringe whenever Uhura has a "Captain, I'm scared" line. Can you imagine Scotty ever saying that?

Now I love Trek, especially TOS. But I take the show for what it was and is.

Oh, and I can tell you I have had people telling me Trek was dead for the last 20 years. And yet, I have a new big budget movie to look forward to mnext year. Go figure.

I just did a little research on this and CBS's beef doesn't seem to be addressed at Cawley's group, but it is rather part of an ongoing dispute with Norm Spinrad himself and apparently the two parties came to some agreement in late February on the matter which apparently settled it:

Norman Spinrad At Large: STAR TREK--He Walked Among US--NORMAN SPINRAD'S LONG-LOST UNPRODUCED CLASSIC STAR TREK SCREENPLAY

I and CBS have agreed to resolve our disputes concerning the ownership of the Work; as part of the settlement between the Parties, the Parties have agree that there will be no further comment; and CBS is considering opportunities to offer licensed copies of the Work.

So I wouldn't panic as it doesn't appear as though CBS Paramount is going to shut fan done Trek shows down. Rather it looks like to me that a byproduct of whatever agreement Spinrad and CBS came to ended up resulting in a casualty, and that was production of the script by Cawley's group. I'm guessing it was an undisclosed sum of money and CBS has the rights to the script outright now. Norm apparently got what HE wanted out of the deal at least.

Sorry if you feel that way but that was not my intent.

When I used to do Cons there were always arguments about which incarnation was "Trek" and was not.

Plenty of fans loved TOS and hated TNG, hated TOS and loved Voyager etc, etc.

Myself DS-9 was the last of the incarnations I could stand even though I watched them all.

When the arguments became heated I used to break out my IDIC medallion and say to each there own.

Veiled insult at best.

Homie don't play that Mike and you should know that! :lol

You know you could'nt handle my Trek anyway. ;)

Since you seem to think you have the final word on what is good and what isn't.

Why don't you write and produce just ONE good Star Trek episode?

I'd really like to see that. I mean you know what makes good Star Trek for everyone. It should be a snap.

Not that I am 2 disrupted years into writing a TOS arcade build, but am I correct in thinking this doesn't necessarily reflect a shutdown of the nonprofit fanmade stuff as suggested above?

Doc

Fact of the matter is that Trek is a very mixed bag. Some parts of it you may hate and others you may love but there really is something there for just about everyone.

Myself I've only ever cared for the TV shows that had an Enterprise in it. Didn't care for DS9 or Voyager at all but liked TOS, TNG, & Enterprise (as flawed as I thought Enterprise was at times I liked it).

For movies I don't like the JJ Trek but it's certainly not the worst Trek film by a long shot. I thought Nemesis was awful and Insurrection was forgettable (REALLY forgettable, the only thing I remember about it is the shuttle chase near the start).

On the flip side I liked Generations while most others seem to hate it. All of the original Trek movies have parts that I like and I enjoy them all despite some of them being clearly of lower quality than others.

I'm both.

I'll drool over anything with a Trek Label :lol

I think sometimes we take the whole movie-world a tad too seriously, and look into the nitty-gritties a teeny bit too much, taking them, on occasion, dangerously way too personally.

I'll discuss any detail of Trek to oblivion with anyone, analyse it, turn it inside out, hypothesise, etc, but at the end of the day, it's fun and entertainment, and so long as it does that for me, anything goes :thumbsup

Surely to many's horror, I squealed in genuine delight like a kid when Yoda did his ninja display thing in one of the 'latest' movies :lol

Then again, I loved Avatar too :lol

Oh, and Popeye :lol:lol

I'm a philistine, and I can't help it :lol:lol:lol

What Kevin Said!

p.s. I kinda enjoy Cawley Trek, for doing it themselves and funding it themselves it's pretty awsome!

Soooooo . . . Now that it seems firmly established that some people like Star Trek entirely or only certain parts or not at all . . .

Based on the factual aspects of the thread with regard to the New Voyages getting slapped with a C&D, my general sense is this is not expected to interfere with other fan projects but rather is a specific issue with the screenwriter.

Is that the gist?

Doc

Based on the factual aspects of the thread with regard to the New Voyages getting slapped with a C&D, my general sense is this is not expected to interfere with other fan projects but rather is a specific issue with the screenwriter.

Is that the gist?

Doc

Well, based on what I've been reading, that seems to be the case.

I know return you to your regularly unscheduled "this Trek sucks, change it" thread. ;)

Sorry if you feel that way but that was not my intent.

No problem. My fault too.

When I used to do Cons there were always arguments about which incarnation was "Trek" and was not.

Oh man do I remember those arguments! Especially about TOS vs TNG. :facepalm

There were some great Trek conventions back then in the early 90s though.

Fact of the matter is that Trek is a very mixed bag. Some parts of it you may hate and others you may love but there really is something there for just about everyone.

Indeed. I've always felt that Trek belongs on the small screen. At least if you had a stinker episode, you only had to wait a week to see if there would be an improvement in the writing. Rather than waiting two years (or more) only to be let down.

For movies I don't like the JJ Trek but it's certainly not the worst Trek film by a long shot. I thought Nemesis was awful and Insurrection was forgettable (REALLY forgettable, the only thing I remember about it is the shuttle chase near the start).

Insurrection is completely unwatchable. Horrible. I tried maybe a couple of years or so ago, and turned it off after maybe 15 minutes. And I can sit through watching Final Frontier every so often (usually when I get into watching all the movies in release order)! Final Frontier while poorly, poorly executed still tried to return to the TOS' roots.

On the flip side I liked Generations while most others seem to hate it.

While certainly not top three, I think Generations is okay too. At least it had something to do with a mysterious phenomenon... as contrived as the concept was. :lol

Kevin

Well, based on what I've been reading, that seems to be the case.

I know return you to your regularly unscheduled "this Trek sucks, change it" thread. ;)

Thanks man got a bit worried there. At least a little more so than usual.

Doc

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back