Star Trek Next Generation (Data)

Ok I buy Ben Nye.
I tried the clown white and its ok as base so I prefer
p-1 White Creme Foundation
Originally I started with P-026 Porcelain.

To make mine gold I add in p-19 Death Straw. Its a yellow tan.
Basically I put on a base white then add in yellow/tag to give it a golden look.
They are both creme's so they go on thick and blend well. Same consistancy as spreadable butter right out of the fridge.
Once I'm happy with the color and blend job I begin the powder.
for this I use Mehron colorset Powder. I bought the 1oz large container and its lasted me for a while. Its a white powder I use to set the makeup.

If I do this as a color test to the back of my hand I can keep it from rubbing off. I've never been so lucky on my face.

The colorset lightens up my face some but not too bad.

I think I'll end up buying the 3 things you've listed just to see what I can do with them. I'll probably add the 2 powders in small parts to my color set.

If you want to see what some of mine ended up looking like, just go to flickr and search gencon data. or google image search gencon data. You'll be able to see just how all the different lighting effects can really alter the appearence of the makeup.

The saturation on that looks good, definitely makes the face look less life-like than the foundation. I'd definitely need to be careful not to cover up my eyebrows though. The foundation brushes off of the eyebrows after it's been applied, which allows you to get good coverage around them and at the hairline without getting all the makeup stuck in your hair.

OK, here's my makeup. The light gold powder/glitter doesn't really stick and I don't think is worth applying. I put it on for this example but likely won't use it again. I might also go heavier on the dark gold, but that shows up a lot better in person.

With and without flash
DSC03249_zpsa6b0171e.jpg

I'd say I like this a little better with the exception of coverage. You can pretty clearly see the stubble on my face through the makeup, and generally speaking my skin doesn't really look fake, just like I'm wearing makeup. Kind of has that paste-like quality to it. If the foundation could be applied a little thicker I think it would be perfect. I'll most likely pick up some of that set powder you recommended as a top coat and see if it will seal this all up better. This stuff definitely doesn't do much for my hands, though.

I'll do a full test with hair and sideburns once I find a product that will slick my hair back without curling it up. I can straighten my hair with a flat iron and spray it down heavy with hair spray, that's the best results I've had. It does curl up a bit, though, especially after it's been in for a while or if I step outside. Gel instantly curls it up, can't use that at all. I tried some hair cement as well with the same result.

Second makeup test. I got a translucent set powder and went heavier on the gold powder before adding the translucent. I think I need loose powder though, because this stuff atomized when I tried to apply it and a lot of it got in my hair, which shows up pretty well. I got better hair spray, too. I didn't actually straighten my hair, just combed it back with a lot of hair spray. I think the results might actually be pretty good if I straighten it and I have some help applying the spray properly. I also gave the sideburns another shot.

DSC03258_zps3442b2af.jpg

Oh, and I shaved immediately before doing this, against the grain. I'll probably regret it for a couple days, but it looks a lot better.

Last edited:
I remember reading that makeup in the hair was a problem for Brent too - and if I remember correctly - they stated that they used simple shoe polish and a brush to color the hair back to a dark color...

Here's a picture of the boots I picked up in LA. They run really large, I normally wear 11 and these are 10.

DSC03263_zpsb2e1c5ef.jpg

They're a little crappy, but they look the part. Except one minor detail, which isn't very noticeable in most situations.

DSC03264_zpsd5014919.jpg

I'm trying to track down some of those stick on black rubber sole kits to cover them up.

Nice boots, except for the bottom! Those patterns don't look like they're very deep, maybe you could sand them off? Also, how much did you pay for these, and where did you get them, if you don't mind my asking? I'm slowly putting together my own uniform.

The embossed patterns are about 1/16" deep. Enough that wearing them down would take quite a while. They cost $30 and I found them in a small shop in the LA fashion district.

Wow nice boots! wonder if I can find those online, any ideas how to remotely purchase?

Question about your foundation. Does it say HD on the package?
The makeup companies have started producing HD makeup that is more realistic then the previous stage makeup. This could be the saturation differences between your makeup and mine.

I actually just received my stuff based on the listing here and will be playing with it to see what I can come up with.

I've given a lot of thought to the hair color issue. The makeup here lists midnight black. All the wiki pages list Data as dark brown and the promotional picture is dark brown but many other pictures and on set its black. I found a brown black I think will do. Your hair color should work great so consider yourself lucky there even if you have to fight the curl.

Hey Risu, looking good, Data is my favorite TNG character too. Nice find on the boots, and the makeup tests are looking promising. You'll make a good Data, you do have the right face for it.

Thanks! I'm really excited about this costume, but I still haven't been able to get the contacts in. In a couple weeks I might pick up the fabric for the uniform.

As for the boots, I didn't have any luck tracking down these exact ones online, and the place I bought them is running out of sizes and says they won't be getting them back in, so they may have been discontinued.

Try looking up, then popping them in towards the bottom - that way you aren't going straight for the pupil.

It'll take a bit of practice, but you'll get used to it. After 10 years of wearing contacts, I can pop 'em in in 30 seconds as I'm running out the door!

Yea, that seems to be the more common way of doing it. I think my mom and sister just have a weird way of putting them in. Next time I try it, I'll do it that way.

Data was always my favorite TNG character.

When I wore contacts I popped them in toward the bottom too, while pulling down my bottom eyelid with my other hand (same hand once I got practiced). Get real close to the bathroom mirror, and kind of stare through it as you put it in. I also put a few drops of saline into the contact. It made them heavier to balance on my finger, but once the liquid touched my eye it kind of helped with sucking the thing to my eye, and gave some moisture.

I remember when I got my first pair of contacts, I was in 10th grade. My mom took me to Sears optical in the mall, and they wouldn't let me leave without making sure I could put them in. I had to sit at a little table at the edge of the main mall thoroughfare and try to stick my finger in my eye, it must have taken me 30 minutes, with what felt like everybody watching me. It was unpleasant. But now I don't even use a mirror. I pull my bottom eyelid down with one finger while moving my eye all the way up, and put the contact below the iris, then let go of my bottom eyelid and look back down. Works every time.

Oh, make sure the contact isn't inside out, if it is you can feel it.

That's the problem with these contacts, they're so thin and flexible that they look and feel identical both ways. I still have no idea which way is inside out. All the legit contacts my family use are either hard glass or a thicker plastic that has a really obvious lip when it's backwards, but not these.

With my regular contacts it can be hard to tell as well. There's a slight bell curve to it when it's inside out. It's really hard to see when your blind without the contact in the first place, lol. You'll get it, it's just hard at first.

Yea, that bell curve is completely absent on these. Confirmed by all 3 contact wearers in my family, they couldn't see it either. I've tried putting them in both ways and neither took. I have high hopes for next time, though.

So as long as I'm at a stand still on most of the other stuff, I've been thinking about how to attach the tricorder and/or phaser holsters to my pants without having any kind of visible velcro when I'm not wearing them. So far my best idea is to put the velcro on the pants above the waist band of the jacket, then put velcro on either end of a 5-6" strip of nylon webbing, on the back side of the top and the front side of the bottom, that the holsters can attach to. The webbing would hang down from inside the jacket and stick out just far enough to attach them. What do you guys think? Or is there a simpler way I'm not thinking of? The downside to that one is that pulling the items out of the holsters might not work so well.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back