Star Trek Into Darkness (Pre-release)

I would LOVE to see Balance of Terror be worked into a JJ Trek Movie. It was supposed to be a tense submarine vs battleship type story and JJ and team can do that sort of tense.

How awesome would it be to have a film discovering the Romulan cloaking device. Like the TOS episode but a sub chase for today...

I'd line up for that!

It seems like everyone else in the galaxy has it. But the Federation might let something like integrity get in the way of its use...:rolleyes

It seems like everyone else in the galaxy has it. But the Federation might let something like integrity get in the way of its use...:rolleyes

:lol

At this point in the game though the Federation doesn't know about it. In Balance of Terror the Enterprise first discovered the Romulan cloaked ship. IIRC it was a prototype or at least very new tech.

:lol

At this point in the game though the Federation doesn't know about it. In Balance of Terror the Enterprise first discovered the Romulan cloaked ship. IIRC it was a prototype or at least very new tech.

Right, but don't they develop something like a conscience about it and decide it shouldn't be used? Admittedly I'm much more into Star Wars than Trek (ducks head in this thread...) so I'm a bit rusty on that point. But that seems to be what I remember from it...

Right, but don't they develop something like a conscience about it and decide it shouldn't be used? Admittedly I'm much more into Star Wars than Trek (ducks head in this thread...) so I'm a bit rusty on that point. But that seems to be what I remember from it...

You're absolutely correct. But that's down the line from this event. :)

No worries being a SW fan in here. I love both!

I'd say not as iconic as Klingons, about the same as the Borg, and more than Khan. :)

Maybe they just need to do a "good" Romulan story. I think I have been turned off by the use of Romulans in the movies and TNG. They need to be more mysterious like in Balance of Terror. None of this political intrigue nonsense they kept using in TNG. I just want villains to be villains dammit!

Maybe they just need to do a "good" Romulan story. I think I have been turned off by the use of Romulans in the movies and TNG. They need to be more mysterious like in Balance of Terror. None of this political intrigue nonsense they kept using in TNG. I just want villains to be villains dammit!

I thought they were great in the TNG series. I agree though that at this stage of the game they would make GREAT mysterious villains in a Trek film. :thumbsup

I'm sick of the friggin Romulans.

Sorry I just had to say it.

(They peaked with Vreenak's "IT'S A FAAAAAAAAAKE!" and have been downhill ever since for me.)

Kevin

I'm sick of the friggin Romulans.

Sorry I just had to say it.

(They peaked with Vreenak's "IT'S A FAAAAAAAAAKE!" and have been downhill ever since for me.)

They were treated VERY badly post TNG IMHO.

I'd like some good old fashioned TOS Romulans. An opportunity to do it right again!

Agreed. The visual upgrade the Klingons got was to be closer to the original intention for them now that the budget was there but the changes to the Romulans made no sense at all. A racial division of 5000 years and a relocation to a new environment would induce changes in appearance as has been proven in the human race on Earth but the changes to the Romulans was just...poor.

Agreed. The visual upgrade the Klingons got was to be closer to the original intention for them now that the budget was there but the changes to the Romulans made no sense at all. A racial division of 5000 years and a relocation to a new environment would induce changes in appearance as has been proven in the human race on Earth but the changes to the Romulans was just...poor.

In less than 100 years to boot!

I'd like some good old fashioned TOS Romulans. An opportunity to do it right again!

In order for the Romulans to become the presence they once were, they should be the only race with cloaking devices. Star Trek III really screwed the Romulans over when production decided to change the villains of the story from Romulans to Klingons since the Klingon Bird of Prey was designed to be a movie era Romulan Bird of Prey. It's kind of hard to imagine how the Klingons, a warrior race so obsessed with honor, glory and fighting face to face would resort to cloaking devices. And it's even more ridiculous when the Klingons can develop a cloaking device that can fire while cloaked, something that not even the Romulans were ever able to develop.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back