Star Trek Into Darkness (Pre-release)

Plus, as we all know, Englishmen make for the best villains. Most, if not all, of our best cinematic villains were either British or spoke with a English accent so it's only fitting that the new Kahn is being played by a Brit so we can get an authentic evil English accent so that he sounds more evil. :cool

Unless......Cumberbatch is using an accent in the film? I haven't really paid attention to the trailers to see him speaking.

Okay, here it is. Spock Prime having knowledge of the future events decides that it is logical to adjust those events for the favor of the Federation.

He goes to Madea, or the president, or whoever Tyler Perry was and tells him about the time that 'his timeline' (Not alternate reality/universe timeline. That was NOT mentioned in the film so I don't buy it.) they ran into a villian named Kahn, who caused a lot of trouble for the Federation, stole a ship, stole the Genesis device, killed an entire ship's crew including her Captain, caused him to sacrafice himself, and broke Kirk's glasses!

The Federation is agahst that anyone should break Kirk's glasses, so they decide to head out into deep space, find the Botany Bay and destroy it before the events that Spock Prime spoke about ever happen.

The Enterprise finds it and tractors it on board. Scotty is told to set it to self destruct but the problem is, there are two red buttons, one labeled self destruct and the other labeled capauccino! He accidentally makes a coffee instead of destroying the ship. The steam coming out of the coffee maker thaws out Kahn and his crew. They wake up, Kahn taps into the Enterprise's computers, sees what they were planning, get's pissed and hilarity ensues....

That's it! That's the script I sent them! Enjoy!

The Federation is agahst that anyone should break Kirk's glasses, so they decide to head out into deep space, find the Botany Bay and destroy it before the events that Spock Prime spoke about ever happen.

Actual line from the script:

Kirk: "What the...? I wear glasses? Next thing you'll tell me I wear a toupee, too!"

Well I did say "well known" villains. :lol

The Romulans, Gorn, Tholians, etc. are known within the geek world we inhabit but don't have much name recognition outside of it.

Romulans aren't well known? :confused

In TOS there were two main enemies, Klingons & Romulans. In TNG there were two main enemies, Borg & Romulans...

If the idea is to bring Khan into it (like you said, we'll have to wait and see), then my ideal scenario is that this film sets up Khan for the next.

The problem with using Khan, for me, is if JJ Abrams plays by the rules he set then he CANNOT fundamentally change that character. He existed BEFORE the timeline split. It could be possible that he's discovered and revived earlier, and perhaps not even by the Enterprise crew, but he still has to be basically the same person because Nero wasn't supposed to have altered history prior to his arrival.

(Sure, sure, I wouldn't expect another actor to try to mimic Montalban's performance - but the fundamentals of the character, including nationality, should be maintained.)

Problem with this is that Khan isn't Superman. He's superior but can be challenged and needs to work out to maintain physical superiority. ;)

That's not to say he has to be a body builder but in TOS he was definitely a dominating presence.

Problem with this is that Khan isn't Superman. He's superior but can be challenged and needs to work out to maintain physical superiority. ;)

Not according to McCoy.

McCoy: There's something inside this man that refuses to accept death. Look at that. Even as he is now, his heart valve action has twice the power of yours and mine. Lung efficiency is fifty percent better. I'd estimate he could lift us both with one arm.

And this is after he's thawed out.

The Romulans, Gorn, Tholians, etc. are known within the geek world we inhabit but don't have much name recognition outside of it.

Oh, I'm not so sure of that. Whenever I've mentioned to someone that I was going to eat a pack of romulan noodles, it always gets a reaction. :lol

And the first thing he does when he gets up?

egmID6N.gif

Clearly a guy with a physical routine. ;)

Clearly a guy with a physical routine. ;)

No, I can accept that he'd be a guy who would keep himself physically fit. I just don't see him as the pumping iron sort, so I'm OK with him not having a bulky Wrath of Khan chest. Like I said, I see Khan as having bulked up because of the harsh environment he lived in there and the physical exertion he had to undergo to survive.

The Khan of TOS didn't have to do that. He could wake up, do yoga and some martial arts, and be fully ready to kick everyone's collective a$$es. ;-)

No, I can accept that he'd be a guy who would keep himself physically fit. I just don't see him as the pumping iron sort, so I'm OK with him not having a bulky Wrath of Khan chest. Like I said, I see Khan as having bulked up because of the harsh environment he lived in there and the physical exertion he had to undergo to survive.

The Khan of TOS didn't have to do that. He could wake up, do yoga and some martial arts, and be fully ready to kick everyone's collective a$$es. ;-)

Agreed. He shouldn't be a body builder but I totally see him doing martial arts, running, etc.

Fact is that even prior to TWOK he struck a strong physical presence. :):thumbsup

Good morning, My Lord Kahn. Which tank will you be lifting today as part of your warmup routine or would you prefer to start with wrestling an orangutan to death first?

Don't forget the Tholians!

There are plenty of bad guys out there but honestly the greatest TOS ones are the Klingons & Romulans. Let's explore that!

I'll second that.

IIRC, there was some exploration of Klingons in the previous Trek but they didn't make the cut or something. They were realized quite differently from the Klingons we've known in classic Trek. At the time I was under the impression they were going to be a feature in the next Trek but apparently not... And Romulans always make for some interesting drama; they're Vulcans with panache!

I'll second that.

IIRC, there was some exploration of Klingons in the previous Trek but they didn't make the cut or something. They were realized quite differently from the Klingons we've known in classic Trek. At the time I was under the impression they were going to be a feature in the next Trek but apparently not... And Romulans always make for some interesting drama; they're Vulcans with panache!

How awesome would it be to have a film discovering the Romulan cloaking device. Like the TOS episode but a sub chase for today...

I'd line up for that!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back