Star Trek Into Darkness (Pre-release)

Well, I have issues with a show that has our characters committing acts of genocide and having it play out as the morally right answer deserving of praise and respect.

LOL! Enterprise is the only STAR TREK my wife enjoys and is willing to watch with me. So you can go pound sand with your uphill battle.

"Prayer, Mister Saavik. Klingons don't take prisoners." - Adm. Kirk, "Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan"

"I wanted prisoners!" - Klingon Commander Kruge, "Star Trek III The Search for Spock."

:rolleyes

"Prayer, Mister Saavik. Klingons don't take prisoners." - Adm. Kirk, "Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan"

"I wanted prisoners!" - Klingon Commander Kruge, "Star Trek III The Search for Spock."

:rolleyes

I wish I could remember where this quote is from: "The only thing you should have faith in is that eventually you will be wrong. Look forward to it."

Trekmovie.com posted a look at some of the new toys coming out.

USS Enterprise featuring Kirk, Spock, Bones and two other figures labeled as "Villains".

attachment.php

Next is the Klingon Bird of Prey which has Kirk in his civilian garb, Uhura and two Klingons. I knew the Klingon BoP was a tiny ship, but this looks more like a star fighter from Star Wars.

attachment.php

Up next is the Volcano mission with Spock and Sulu. Wonder what the red pieces are for. Lava decoration?

attachment.php

A scene called "Transporter Accident" featuring Scotty and a Klingon.

attachment.php

Kirk's Space Dive with John Harrison sporting what looks like Star Trek's second bazooka.

attachment.php

A mini-ship line which Hasbro was kind enough to display the Klingon Cruiser backwards.

attachment.php

Figure packs featuring Nero, a Gorn, Grasia, a new character named Lieutenant Sprong, Keenser and a Klingon.

attachment.php

So it is. :thumbsup
And look how clearly you can see those "windows" on the bridge module, once again demonstrating who FUBAR the scale of these ships were in the movie. :angry

Me too, as for the opening, "ITS BEEN A LONG ROAD, GETTIN FROM THERE TO HERE", was so unexpected that I actually liked it.

I just wish they had a better song that wasn't meant as a huge love letter to how awesome humanity is while at the same time being a big fu** you to the Vulcans. You don't think that was the point? Here's a taste of Archer's behavior around T'Pol, all from the first episode of the series.

Archer
- Volatile? You have no idea how much I'm restraining myself from knocking you on your ass.
- I'm not interested in what you think about this mission, so take your Vulcan cynicism and bury it along with your repressed emotions.
- Now get the hell out there and make yourself useful.
- Your superiors don't think we can flush a toilet without one of you to assist us.

And it's not like this series had any interest in letting the Vulcans have a point to show humanity that there are ways that are better than the ones we have. No. One of this re-occuring theme throughout this series that all the Vulcans ever do is hold humanity back. It's such a big theme that even other aliens comment on it. T'Pol can't even make a comment regarding crew morality without Archer lashing out at her. So if your theme song was meant to show how selfish and condescending our heroes are towards anyone who has a different opinion, well, mission accomplished.

Sorry, I don't agree so much with that. Sure they wanted to show that Humanity can 'find its own way' but it's undeniable, even in Enterprise, that the role of the Vulcans was crucial to the development of Starfleet.

I just wish they had a better song that wasn't meant as a huge love letter to how awesome humanity is while at the same time being a big fu** you to the Vulcans. You don't think that was the point?

Wow. I couldn't disagree more with you about this. There are actually SEVERAL examples of T'Pol getting her messages through and not being 'lashed' out at.

Even a simple example that comes to mind, the episode when she, Archer, and Tripp are eating together and she cuts through that bread stick with a knife and gets the fork through it with out making a mess of it. Doesn't she say something along the lines of 'with proper discipline, anything is possible'? No one shoots her down, in fact they were both impressed.

Archer ends up relying on her advice on several occasions.

And it's not like this series had any interest in letting the Vulcans have a point to show humanity that there are ways that are better than the ones we have. No. One of this re-occuring theme throughout this series that all the Vulcans ever do is hold humanity back. It's such a big theme that even other aliens comment on it. T'Pol can't even make a comment regarding crew morality without Archer lashing out at her. So if your theme song was meant to show how selfish and condescending our heroes are towards anyone who has a different opinion, well, mission accomplished.

I enjoyed Enterprise for what it was but it was certainly flawed. The stuff with the Xindi, while I liked the conflict of conscience that it produced and the idea of the expanse, was a little too "military" to me. While Trek certainly has that aspect to it it falls down when it focuses and dwells on it.

The future agent crap was annoying as well.

I liked the story arc with Xindi and I didn't mind the militant approach. It added a sense of fear and urgency and make all of their struggles seem more justified.
The future agent stuff was silly, for sure. The Enterprise J was kind of cool though.

I liked Enterprise (except for the finale) but the problem I had with it along with Star Trek 09 was, I am tired of time travel plots. Isn't there someone in all of Hollywood who is creative enough to come up with another plot point.

Sorry for going a little off topic here but seriously, we have the new X-Men movie, we just had Looper. I'm worried the next Star Wars movie, someone approached Disney execs and said "what if a sith goes back and kills Shmi before she has Anakin"

But back to topic, I'm looking forward to this next Star Trek. Khan or not, it looks like it might be pretty good. I hope they soon get to heading out to "where no one has gone before" and leave "where everyone knows your name"

Even a simple example that comes to mind, the episode when she, Archer, and Tripp are eating together and she cuts through that bread stick with a knife and gets the fork through it with out making a mess of it. Doesn't she say something along the lines of 'with proper discipline, anything is possible'? No one shoots her down, in fact they were both impressed.

Because if there's one thing that highlights a character's role more than her exploitive skin-tight attire, it's being able to use a fork. And while I will give you that Archer does take her advice on occasion, you'll find that those episodes aren't usually written by either Berman or Bragga, the creators of Enterprise.

But back to topic, I'm looking forward to this next Star Trek. Khan or not, it looks like it might be pretty good. I hope they soon get to heading out to "where no one has gone before" and leave "where everyone knows your name"

You'll know we'll get there when the film makers can actually come out and say they're making a Star Trek movie and not just a 'movie' for 'movie fans'.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back