Star Trek Discovery Communicator - iPhone Case

Felgacarb

Sr Member
I thought for my first attemp at a Discovery prop, I'd do something 'functional'.

One thing I always carry while in costume is, of course, my phone, mostly to use a a camera to take pictures of other people in great costumes. It also helps to meet up with people for lunch, etc.
Since pockets are not all that common on Star Trek costumes, I figured building the phone into a prop would be the way to go.
Especially since they built the Discovery Communicator around an existing device in the first place.

Here's what we're talking about:

Now, my old iPhone 6s is not the same size, so I had to stretch things a bit...

My approach was to model the parts up in CAD first:

Then have ShapeWays print the parts for me:

Having the parts made was not too bad, it came to about $80.

Then I hit them with some thinned out Smooth-On XTC-3D:

Then I painted the parts. I designed to pieces so that I could spray the colors individually, with a minimum of hand painting of details to finish.

The phone slides right in through the top:

The face plate comes off, so that you can use the phone! (You do miss the very top of the screen, though...)

If I had taken the time to skin the parts in putty and really sand them down again, I could have perfected the finish. Perhaps I will to get the lid to look a bit better eventually...

Thanks for looking!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back