Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
Re: New Star Trek Series (2017)

I hear what you're saying, and I get it. I definitely like some shows like that (LOVING house of cards and GoT right now), but I completely disagree when it comes to Star Trek. Trek was always at it's best when it had episodes. The beauty of the show was that it had the freedom to explore different ideas, different locations, and different plots instead of just being tied down to one long plot that never ever gets any resolution.

To each his own I guess. Can't please everyone and I'll bet $20 that in this case, they end up going with your route, but I also think it will hurt them in the long run.

It doesn't need to be an overarching plot that goes on from season to season, they could easily just use seasonal arcs where each season has an overarching plot, sort of like how they did on Buffy. This way there's continuity but the story gets resolved at the end of the season.

You could tell very early on that the writers were having second thoughts on how much they wanted to limit Voyager's abilities. They establish I think in the second episode that the holodecks run on their own individual power source that is incompatible with the rest of the ship.... Yes. This plot point was made solely for the reason so that the writers could have their stupid holodeck episodes while still pretending that their ship is going through an energy crises. Considering how much Star Trek has used the "divert power from ___ to ____" over the decades, how dumb is it that the onboard power source that creates ANY AND ALL things cannot be compatible with the ship it's built into? I'll never forget that one episode "The Cloud" where the opening establishes that the ship is in such an energy crises that Janeway isn't allowed to use her replicator ration to replicate coffee, but Tom and Harry can spend countless hours in the holodeck playing pool in a recreated bar complete with patrons.

It's those kind of stupid writing cheats that I hope this new series will avoid. That and the "We chose not to use this character because that would mean we would have to pay the creator of that character royalties". That kind of excuse is all over the place.

I agree, you'd think that using a holodeck would require a lot more power and other resources than replicating a simple cup of coffee, esp. when the program is of a bar that (presumably) has food and drinks. Unless it's serving only holographic food and drink that you essentially pretend to eat and drink then you're using the same, or more, power and resources than the food/drink replicator would. The funny thing about that is as the show goes on they forget all about that and you see Janeway, and others, replicating drinks constantly. The whole replicator rations thing is almost completely forgotten, it becomes a phrase they'd throw in every now and again to pretend that they didn't forget about it. Oh sure, Neelix still maintains the mess hall and they occasionally talk about going on away missions to get food but nearly every time Janeway invites someone to her quarters or ready room she's always offering them drinks, from the replicator, and will often get one herself. So much for replicator rationing.

One other thing that I hope they do on this new Trek show is get writers who can actually think in three dimensions. I don't know many times I've seen in the 3 TNG era shows where they run across some area of space that they can't get around because it's too wide with no mention of going above or below or a combination of all of them. On top of it, the effects/props people will show a 2D display of this area like it's on a regular map. These writers need to remember that they're in space, not on water, and you can go above and below things, not just around.

wasn't that the mantra for voyager? season one they had a romulan episode. season 7 they had a klingon episode.
and those tended to be the most meaningful of the series when they dealt with home and familiar stuff.
It was the mantra when it began and, as Riceball, pointed out, they quickly forgot that and made it like every other Trek.

Re: Star trek new series 2017- general theories and discussion

There goes the neighborhood! :rolleyes

"He then went on to create beloved shows like Dead Like Me, Wonderfalls, and Pushing Daisies."

All three of these were really good shows...

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Star trek new series 2017- general theories and discussion

I know THATS what scares me! ;)

"He then went on to create beloved shows like Dead Like Me, Wonderfalls, and Pushing Daisies."

Ok, Some of the older posts are related but some are just arguing back and forth, So Please keep it civil people !!!, I can delete them posts but I'm not like that, so just try to stop arguing, Thanks and Live Long A Prosper, K'Plah, and Dammit Jim !!!!!

LLAP

Cole

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe a Crusher/Picard relationship we thought they had but never happened ????, after all they are still acting

crew of picard and janeway got together, had kids and the kids will take a ship to find out if the borg where as evil as they all say. :p

well you did ask for a theory :p

Well I know I'm excited- it's been 10 years since Star Trek was on tv, and now I feel like with all the expectations for it NOT to be like Enterprise they will do the series justice.....hopefully.

GREAT NEWS !!!!!!! Read the bottom part not the Brian Fuller part

It’s official. Bryan Fuller, who will co-create, produce and serve as showrunner of the upcoming Star Trek series, has just announced the news that Nicholas Meyer has joined the show's writing staff and will be a consulting producer.
"Nicholas Meyer chased Kirk and Khan 'round the Mutara Nebula and 'round Genesis' flames, he saved the whales with the Enterprise and its crew, and waged war and peace between Klingons and the Federation. We are thrilled to announce that one of Star Trek's greatest storytellers will be boldly returning as Nicholas Meyer beams aboard the new Trek writing staff," said Executive Producer, Bryan Fuller.
Meyer, of course, is beloved by Star Trek fans worldwide for directing (and co-writing, uncredited) Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, co-writing Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home and co-writing and directing Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.
The new Star Trek series, produced by CBS Television Studios, will launch in early 2017. In the U.S., a special premiere episode will air on the CBS Television Network and all subsequent first-run episodes will be available exclusively on CBS All Access. The series will also be available on television stations and platforms in other countries around the world.
- See more at: http://www.startrek.com/article/nicholas-meyer-joins-new-star-trek-series#sthash.LxDjiAHx.dpuf READ THE BOTTOM SECTION !!!!!!

Yes, yes it was. :wacko

For some reason the end credits theme from enterprise is one of my favorites, and the way they ended it was good, but way….way…too soon, I mean if it had a bigger fan base I think it could of went to 7 season, but its over sadly ;( and all we can do is re-watch it……..

It may be just the end of Enterprise, but what it may mean is something critical.... continuity with TV and not JJ Trek.
Hope that is what it means anyways.

"Archer's Theme" is very nice, would have made a better intro for sure.

For some reason the end credits theme from enterprise is one of my favorites, and the way they ended it was good, but way….way…too soon, I mean if it had a bigger fan base I think it could of went to 7 season, but its over sadly ;( and all we can do is re-watch it……..

The end theme is a great theme indeed.
At least now we can watch it in HD

It may be just the end of Enterprise, but what it may mean is something critical.... continuity with TV and not JJ Trek.
Hope that is what it means anyways.

I agree. The art style and everything is just too Trek to just abandon completely. JJtrek doesn't look like Star Trek, one bit.

Oh, Willie... Showing a clip from one of the worst conceived episodes in the history of Star Trek masquerading as a promo for the new Star Trek series? I hate to do this to you because you are so full of awesome, but discipline must be maintained if Star Trek is to survive! Therefore,

reprimand_zpspyvz4q04.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back