Star Tours G2-9T "Goose" Droid - Parts ID?

Howlrunner

Sr Member
Obscure yes. Loved these little guys when I went to Star Tours about 18 years ago in Florida, and still love 'em since seeing them at Star Tours again this year in Paris.

Now I know that these droids were created using the animatronics from the old Goose robots from America Sings, but does anyone recognize any of the non-mechanical parts (presumably what was added to the existing robots)?

Mainly thinking about the eyes/head area - does it look completely kit-bashed, or is it something pre-existing (like binoculars?)

Originals:
PICT0090.jpg
headerg24t.jpg

Updated Star Tours II versions:
iyZ2D1wM.jpeg
8923365101_51ef19fac4_b.jpg

Attachments

• iyZ2D1wM.jpeg
    iyZ2D1wM.jpeg
    24.3 KB · Views: 1,118
I did not know they used the pre existing geese from America Sings. Very interesting. I saw that as a little boy. This would be a cool droid to have.

Very cool ID thread, I'd have to lean away from binoculars based on the way the cut is going in the back. If I had to guess it looks like pvc pipe cut down to size. It would be very cool to find out if it was a donated item! It looks like there are found parts around the eye though

IMG_1647.jpgIMG_1649.jpgIMG_1648.jpg

I just wanted to let you know that both of the original G2 heads are in the Launch Bay after you are almost to the gift shop where the jawas are. These must be found items if they replaced them completely. If anyone can get better photos of them with flash I'm sure we can ID them! It almost looks like it's all one found piece

Can anyone think of any possibilities of what the whole head piece can be? The cross bar between the eyes is connected to the main head part and the way the metal is riveted onto the top piece exactly the same in WDW and Paris, it must be something we're overlooking. I tried looking at vintage binoculars and periscopes but maybe it's a piece of aircraft or military equipment?

Can anyone think of any possibilities of what the whole head piece can be? The cross bar between the eyes is connected to the main head part and the way the metal is riveted onto the top piece exactly the same in WDW and Paris, it must be something we're overlooking. I tried looking at vintage binoculars and periscopes but maybe it's a piece of aircraft or military equipment?

Showed your pics to a mate of mine who works in the RAF. He reckons they look "like an old flare pod carrier". Dunno if that's any help at all, or a wild good chase....

Last edited by a moderator:
Showed your pics to a mate of mine who works in the RAF. He reckons they look "like an old flare pod carrier". Dunno if that's any help at all, or a wild good chase....

that's really interesting, I've been trying to look up flare related things on google/ebay but so far haven't found anything similar. I looked through pictures I took at Disneyland Paris a few years ago and found a really good one of the head face on. Notice the mouth is missing on that one too! but the eye and area under the eye are all the same shape exactly as the WDW ones. The part is out there we just need to find someone to help narrow the search a bit (military, aircraft, automobile?)

you can click to make it bigger:
DSC00429.JPG

DSC00429.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted Ted to bump this thread... I was able to get a few more pictures on my phone this weekend at launch bay. There's a number "3" stamped to the left side of g2-9t's face and everything besides the center X connecting the eyes together is metal. Also it seems like the middle bar connecting the X to the head moved the eyes so maybe that can help us track down what found part this came from? Any ideas?

IMG_3688.JPGIMG_3696.JPGIMG_3699.JPG

i tried to get different angles we dont have pictures of yet, it's tough because they are positioned in the same direction and its behind a fence so there isnt a way to move around and get different angles. I need to go back with my dslr the pictures on my phone arent as clear as id like.

It's so strange because the part seems so familiar in shape i just cant put my finger on it yet

I have been researching this droid for the past few months in an attempt to build one of my own. As it turns out, Disney developed a standard set of parts that they used throughout a wide range of their animatronics in the early 70's. I was able to find definitive documentation on the origins of the most of the parts in the body of the Goose Droid. It is common knowledge that the origin of this droid was a goose animatronic from America Sings. But it is clear to see that the head was not original to the goose animatronic. I had always suspected that the head was just a modified head from another animatronic. My suspicions have now been confirmed. I found a page from a maintenance manual for Country Bear Jamboree and it shows the profile of one of the bear heads. This is NOT the exact same head as the Goose Droid, but the vertical plates that form the core of the head are very similar to the ones on the Goose Droid. You can also see the same universal joint assembly and the same cylinders for tilt and nod. From this, I am certain that the Goose Droid head started out as the head from one of the old animatronics, perhaps even the goose itself. They stripped it down to the core, and then bolted on tubes on the sides for eyes and a new mouth on the front.

DSC00290.JPG
25945348_9.jpg
DSC00536.JPG
A2-12-A200 Head Turn Actuator Assembly.jpg
A2-12-A198 Universal Joint Assembly Head Nod and Tilt.jpg

Great post! Except you seem to say conflicting things.
"But it is clear to see that the head was not original to the goose animatronic."
but then
"I am certain that the Goose Droid head started out as the head from one of the old animatronics, perhaps even the goose itself."

It isn't but it is?

Last edited:
Great post! Except you seem to say conflicting things.
"But it is clear to see that the head was not original to the goose animatronic."
but then
"I am certain that the Goose Droid head started out as the head from one of the old animatronics, perhaps even the goose itself."

It isn't but it is?
What I mean is that the head of the Goose Droid did not come straight off the goose animatronics unmodified. The eye tubes on the droid would have served no purpose and would not have fit inside the goose animatronic head. I will revise my post to be more clear.

There was a maintenance manual sold at auction a few years ago for the America Sings attraction. This manual would surely have the best reference photos showing what head was used in the goose animatronic. I contacted the auction house and asked if they would reach out to the auction winner to ask to let them know that I was interested in the contents of the manual for research purposes. The auction house said that did contact the winner but the did not hear back. Perhaps someone on the RPF knows who has this manual.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back