Stand aside for the glory that is DOOM!

Thank you everyone so much for the support. You don't see too many comic builds on here, it's a shame. But your encouragement just fuels me to keep going!

Davy, it's called Roma Plastilina, a medium oil clay by Sculpture house. It does the job, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's too soft, and the hard is too hard. If you're looking for a good oil clay, you can't go wrong with Chavant.

Judge, I had planned on putting the rivets on my throw away before final molding, but seeing as how you have first hand knowledge, I might just wait until the final piece before painting. Thanks for the idea!

I think I've found a good fabric for the cape and hood- its called Chenille upholstery fabric. It's got a nice heavy weave to it, but is very soft. But very expensive, at almost $15/ yard. So we'll see.

Thanks again everyone!

Consider me on your list already. I love how this all is coming out. I completely want one. I already have approval from the misses on this one.

Your sculpt is coming along very well! Looks great!

If I may offer an opinion, the cheekbones are very severe. I realize they're drawn that way, but taking the edge off them would make the mask less cartoony and give it more of a 'leading man' quality. The kind that ladies love. :)

While I do agree the cheekbones are a bit much, this sculpt was based upon specific artwork (more or less)
58d4e334.jpg

806acefd.jpg

I have plans to go back and modify the sculpt once this is molded and I have a successful cast, into something a bit more traditional. But for this bad boy, the dramatic, sinister look is what I was going for.

I don't blame you. I grew up on that doom as well. However for me I just love the new styling. I have been wanting to do a Doom suit for a long time. I had an idea once to modify a set of Ironman arms and hands with a modified cuff. Legs still kinda allude me. But I think they are still cool as hell. I cant wait to see the finished piece.

I originally thought about doing that as well, modifying iron man armor. But even at his technological height, Doom was never as complicated as Iron Man, and I didn't want to spend the time modifying, or dumbing down, the armor. So I decided to make to myself, closer to a knight's suit of armor, using the ever popular EVA foam mats.

If its something you'd like to pursue, I'd be happy to share my templates (once I know they work!)

I agree with Spartan. I think the cheekbones being the way they are give it a almost skull like feel,which add to the sinisterness. (is that even a word? lol)

Obviously I'll start an interest thread, and keep the trading in the proper area, but I can't see a cleaned up casting (no paint, just primered) would be more than $100.

Anyways, it's going under silicone tonight. :) I am super excited. Also got what I needed to start on the armor as well. This is just the coolest thing, I think!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back