Stand aside for the glory that is DOOM!

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by GBrittelleJr, Jan 20, 2012.

1. GBrittelleJr

GBrittelleJr Well-Known Member

So 2012 is my year. I've tried and failed to get my Doctor Doom costume completed, and through the petty, annoying meddling of Richards, I have failed. But this year, I will be successful.

I'm not basing the build on any one specific version of Doom, but rather taking parts of each that I like, plus a little artistic license here and there.

So here we go. The armor will be made from the 1/2" EVA anti-fatigue mats. I've been reading as many threads about the wonder foam as I can, learning as much as I can about cutting, shaping, sealing and painting. I know foam builds are usually regarded as a cost effective and rather temporary solution to armor as opposed to cast resin or fiberglass pieces, but I chose foam for several reasons- the obvious ones like not having to sculpt and cast, the cost of said procedures, and the speed to which I can make the armor. But the biggest reason is because I hate the sound of plastic armor clanking together. So the foam will be able to rectify that problem for me.

Anyways, here's what I have so far- the sculpt of my helmet based off of Marko Djurdjevic's art. It's still very rough, and I'm planning on making a throwaway mold where I can make a resin pull and sand the hell out of it, drill and glue all the rivets in place, then remold it. I'll then take the dremel to it and cut the back off, and drill and mount a few rare earth magnets to allow me to get my head in there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here are my cape clasps. They're made from 3.75" parabolic mirrors for RVs. I primered one set, cut the shapes out of them, then glued them to the other set. The design is based upon the symbol on the Latverian flag, in case you didn't know. I'm going to give these bad boys a special paint treatment to make them look hand made: paint them with Rustoleum's metallic gold (which happens to be the most durable gold in a rattle can I have found, and also is the best looking), then spray them with gold hammered metal once the gold base coat has cured, and with a soft rag wipe away the freshly sprayed hammered paint on all the raised areas. Finally hit the smooth areas with a bit of Rub N Buff's gold leaf, then a wash of a burnished brass paint. Might be overkill, but I really think they'll look amazing. And if I'm wrong, I can always mold them and send the resin copies off to get plated like the Indy idols!
    [​IMG]

Whew, that's all for now. I'll update as I go. ALL HAIL DOOM!!!

Greg

2. trooper1m

trooper1m Active Member

That's cool, big fan of the DOOM

3. ewige

ewige Member

DOOM is a tyrant and must be stopped!

Love the sculpt so far :)

4. Mostly Fantasy

Mostly Fantasy Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Doom-tastic!

5. Darth Pinhead

Darth Pinhead Active Member

Very cool. Now, I'm not "up" on the character, but just an FYI, Krylon makes an 18K Gold Plate spray, that is sold at Michel's for $7 a can. There are other gold leaf products there to confuse you a tad bit more, as well, lol. Just a suggestion in case you missed it.

Loving your roughing out of the mask. It is good to read that you have thought it through and chosen to go with a trash mold. You're going to end up with an awesome product, having done so. Looking forward to your updates!

6. Skaar

Skaar Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Doom is one of my all time favorite villians.

Love the direction it's going!

7. GBrittelleJr

Thanks everyone. I appreciate it. Yeah, Doom is one of my all time favorite characters, and while I have seen some awesome Dooms out there, I still felt it was necessary to attempt because there are so many things that could be done with this costume.

I'm still going to get my helmet as smooth as I can using various tools and chemicals, but after this sculpt I think I'm going to keep this clay as a backup and order some proper Chavant NSP medium. This is an oil clay called Roma made by sculpture house, I believe. Decent, but not great.

Where I feel a lot of Doom costumes falter is the both the armor and the fabric. Since I talked about it in my OP I won't touch on the armor again, but I will discuss fabric choices.

[​IMG]
    Here's my color scheme. I'm trying to use very regal looking fabrics. Stuff with a heavy weave and texture. No $3/yard broadcloth. I mean, the guy is a dictator for an Eastern Eurpoean country- it would be safe to assume he dresses nice. For the cloak, I was thinking about using the same waffle weave fabric Emperor Palpatine's sith robes are made from. What are your thoughts on that, for anyone who has seen or used it in person? Or maybe a Chenille upholstery fabric. Something that has a noticeable weave to it.

For the tunic, I'd like to obviously use a lighter weighing fabric than the cape, a different fabric altogether actually. Different shade, different weave. I'm going to do something slightly different with the tunic, but stay tuned for that.

I'll also be in need for a brass buckle for a 3" belt. I'd prefer it to be a functional belt, made of real leather. And I need an attached holster for a Broomhandle Mauser. So if there's any leather workers out there that can make these two pieces for me, I'd really appreciate a PM.

8. virg012

virg012 Active Member

I love the direction you are headed in

9. joedc27

joedc27 Member

Great start. Realy digging the cape clasps.

10. Lord Magneto

Lord Magneto Well-Known Member

Very excited for your project. It looks * great. A doom mask is pretty high on my list of props I want to make.

The cape clasps look great

11. Chuey

Chuey Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Good luck on your effort. Look forward to seeing the final result. ;)

12. SentMe

SentMe New Member

Now this I gotta see!!! Super stoked!!!

13. GBrittelleJr

Here's where I am at now. There are still quite a few imperfections that I don't know how I'm going to fix, if I can. But I'm pretty sure this is as good as I can get it before making my throw away mold. Hopefully I can even things out a bit more on a rigid copy with bondo and swearing.

Anyways, here's a 180 turnaround (no need for 360, as you can see the back is quite boring)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't know how you real sculptors make everything so perfect and symmetrical. But I guess that's why you're the real sculptors, huh? Hahaha

Here's my (maybe) completed cape clasps. I changed my plan up a little bit, having the texture over the entire medallion and didn't end up using the Rub N Buff. What do you guys think- do I need to do a few washes with browns and dark golds to tarnish these a bit??
    [​IMG]

And finally, I decided to play dress up with my sculpt. I draped the fabric I have now (which is far too wrong, it doesn't drape well at all. Plus I don't like the color. I'll possibly use it for the tunic, though, as I like the weave it has) and wrapped my gold cord across the chest and placed the medallions on point to get an idea where this is going. I'd say it's starting to look like the Good Doctor, if I do say so myself! :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for critiquing!!

Greg

14. TV8

TV8 Well-Known Member

Freakin awesome man! The sculpt is perfect from all angles (nice and menacing) and the fabric seems to be spot on, so whatever you are replacing it with should be even better. Can't wait to see this completed.

15. GBrittelleJr

That cord is 1/2" think I believe- does it look too thin for the size of the clasps?

16. chimmera30

chimmera30 Well-Known Member

Amazing sculpt!
    Can't wait to see more!!!

17. davy

davy Well-Known Member

Realy nice sculpt love them, what name of clay this is what you have used ?

18. mrbungle

mrbungle Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

really nice. look forward to seeing more.

19. Judge Spartan

Judge Spartan Sr Member

Fantastic looking sculpt sir. I only recommend that you apply the rivets after the helmet is finished and painted, that way the rivets actually look functional instead of sculpted in place. A friend of mine did this on a Doom mask that he and a friend of his sculpted and as the whole sculpt looked really good aside from things I would have changed, the rivets looked fantastic as they actually looked like they were holding the mask together. The best of luck to you Victor.

20. Psicorp7

Psicorp7 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking really good!

I think you are on the right track with the heavy fabrics and multiple layers. It is where most Dooms fall apart. The braid looks good but you might want to also try a chain for an even heavier look.

You might also want to consider ripping and weathering the cloth quite a bit. Doom is the leader of a country but is is getting his butt handed to him on a monthly basis. That can take quite a toll on your wardrobe.

Look forward to following this!!

21. Capt Bob April

Capt Bob April New Member

Maybe some sort of velvet type of material for the cloak...

22. swfan67

swfan67 New Member

Wow! This is looking great! Looking forward to more updates.

23. GBrittelleJr

Thank you everyone so much for the support. You don't see too many comic builds on here, it's a shame. But your encouragement just fuels me to keep going!

Davy, it's called Roma Plastilina, a medium oil clay by Sculpture house. It does the job, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's too soft, and the hard is too hard. If you're looking for a good oil clay, you can't go wrong with Chavant.

Judge, I had planned on putting the rivets on my throw away before final molding, but seeing as how you have first hand knowledge, I might just wait until the final piece before painting. Thanks for the idea!

I think I've found a good fabric for the cape and hood- its called Chenille upholstery fabric. It's got a nice heavy weave to it, but is very soft. But very expensive, at almost $15/ yard. So we'll see.

Thanks again everyone!

24. gregdoom

gregdoom New Member

I would do terrible terrible things for a cast of that mask. Holy crap.

25. GBrittelleJr

Well Greg (that's my name, too! Haha) I'm thinking of offering up maybe a few casts in a run, if there's enough interest.

26. TV8

TV8 Well-Known Member

Wallet - start your sobbing.

27. Torment

Torment Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Consider me on your list already. I love how this all is coming out. I completely want one. I already have approval from the misses on this one.

28. chimmera30

chimmera30 Well-Known Member

interested!!!!

29. bobguy

bobguy New Member

Your sculpt is coming along very well! Looks great!

If I may offer an opinion, the cheekbones are very severe. I realize they're drawn that way, but taking the edge off them would make the mask less cartoony and give it more of a 'leading man' quality. The kind that ladies love. :)

30. GBrittelleJr

While I do agree the cheekbones are a bit much, this sculpt was based upon specific artwork (more or less)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have plans to go back and modify the sculpt once this is molded and I have a successful cast, into something a bit more traditional. But for this bad boy, the dramatic, sinister look is what I was going for.

31. Lando

Lando Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great work, looks amazing

32. Torment

I have to say I like this version better than the more traditional Doom face

33. GBrittelleJr

Torment, I do tend to agree, but the rectangle eyed, flat faced Doom is what I grew up on, so I have to have it in my collection as well.

34. Torment

I don't blame you. I grew up on that doom as well. However for me I just love the new styling. I have been wanting to do a Doom suit for a long time. I had an idea once to modify a set of Ironman arms and hands with a modified cuff. Legs still kinda allude me. But I think they are still cool as hell. I cant wait to see the finished piece.

35. GBrittelleJr

I originally thought about doing that as well, modifying iron man armor. But even at his technological height, Doom was never as complicated as Iron Man, and I didn't want to spend the time modifying, or dumbing down, the armor. So I decided to make to myself, closer to a knight's suit of armor, using the ever popular EVA foam mats.

If its something you'd like to pursue, I'd be happy to share my templates (once I know they work!)

36. Judge Spartan

Judge Spartan Sr Member

Those cheekbones are great the way they are and you're Doom looks flat out sinister so don't change a thing. Great work..

37. joedc27

joedc27 Member

I agree with Spartan. I think the cheekbones being the way they are give it a almost skull like feel,which add to the sinisterness. (is that even a word? lol)

38. virg012

virg012 Active Member

It is perfect, no man has ever made me that happy before. Finish it quick, post pics and then hold me when I cry

39. B4DW0LF

B4DW0LF Active Member

ultimately it comes down to cost but Im interested also..

40. GBrittelleJr

Obviously I'll start an interest thread, and keep the trading in the proper area, but I can't see a cleaned up casting (no paint, just primered) would be more than $100.

Anyways, it's going under silicone tonight. :) I am super excited. Also got what I needed to start on the armor as well. This is just the coolest thing, I think!

41. Psicorp7

Count me in!! I really need to get one of these. Doom is on my top three costumes to make.

The comic look you are doing is perfect!

42. GBrittelleJr

This is awesome. I didn't realize there was so much love for the Doctor! Once I have a working, final mold I'll open up a thread in the junkyard. Until then, I'll just keepp the updates coming.

43. GBrittelleJr

I'll be sure to post pictures, but while Doom is under silicone, in between when I have time, I'm planning on making a life size plaque of the D and the eagle, seen on the front of the Sideshow prop of Doom's mask and gauntlets to hang on my wall.*

I plan to make it from MDF and styrene, with a nice paint job.

[​IMG]

What does everyone think of these measurements? Think it's too big, too small?

44. Psicorp7

Hey, it's Doom...go big or go home!
    His ego would demand no less than 18" x 36"!!!

45. Lord Magneto

Lord Magneto Well-Known Member

wow seriously great work man.

46. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That hood looks incredible on it! Keep it up....

47. Judge Spartan

Judge Spartan Sr Member

I agree with Psicorp7, 18"x36" or bigger. To be DOOM you must be bigger than life. Go BIG...

48. GBrittelleJr

So I've started on the armor. Shaping the EVA foam is more difficult than I previously thought. I'm worried about looking too bulky in the armor- I'm already a bigger guy. What do you all think- does it look bad?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Keep in mind that my forearm is about 12" around, to give a scale reference.*

Also, I'm worried that my sculpt might be ruined. It's currently under a thin (1/8" or so) layer of silicone caulk that, after a week, still hasn't fully cured. Does anyone have any tips to help the silicone cure??

49. john2daextreme

john2daextreme New Member

woooow nice sculpt on the doom helmet

50. Torment

Dude you cant make a mold with caulking. I mean you can, but that is not something you really want to use for the purpose of making a mold. You can try using a heat gun to heat and kick the caulk a bit faster, but over all that might have been a bad idea. If you want pm me and ill walk you through some mold making and such. We should be able to get the stuff off without to much damage I hope.