ST:Wrath of Khan - Field Jacket - with photos of other cool people in them

Re: ST:Wrath of Khan - Field Jacket - with SDCC & Vegas 2011 pix

Hey, I recognize her!

PropParty2012a001.jpg

This is an absolutely beautiful jacket.
Thank you for including a materials list and mixture for dying the fabric.

I almost totally destroyed my wife's sewing machine making a TFA suit and think would be a great way to finish it off.
While you made your patterns from scratch, what would you use as a base if you were to use a commercial pattern?
Also, would you attempt this project without a mannequin?

what would you use as a base if you were to use a commercial pattern?
Also, would you attempt this project without a mannequin?

Thanks!

I have so little experience with real patterns, I'm not sure what commercial one I'd start with... however, the Admiral had a suggestion here:

TWOK Field Jacket in TWOK (The Wrath of Khan - Generations) Forum

That might be worth a try.

I don't think the mannequin is all that needed for this jacket. In fact, I made the shoulders on mine a bit too wide due to my mannequin being off in that respect.

I would go with a darker dye mix than I used- In person the screen used jackets look more like a chocolate brown than the rust red...

If you do decide to finish off the sewing machine making one of these, (and these certainly can kill a sewing machine!) be sure to post pictures!

Your work is the gold book standard. Thanks for the advice.
All the STiD talk had me thinking of TWOK, in a better way, but I will post pictures and hope that I come close to yours.

Absolutely love your field jackets. Well done sir. I first saw your work here and then I recently joined the 1701st and got to see it all over again. Certainly the Holy grail of Trek costuming after the monster maroon. You have certainly done the project proud! :)

Dave

Great work on the field jacket. You managed to coax a lot of heavy duty work out of your Pfaff 1222, but unfortunately, you may be wearing it out. It may be time for you to move up to an industrial machine. The state of the art is a Juki 5500 series, I use an older 5410 needle feed in my apparel and costume design business. For heavier work on leather and vinyl you'll need a walking foot machine. These machines can be found on Craigslist for very affordable prices. I still use an all metal vintage Pfaff 260 domestic machine for a lot of work since it is extremely versatile, doing straight and zigzag stitching, and it can use various feet and needles easily. It's a little bit of an investment, but once you use an industrial machine, you'll wonder why it took so long. With an industrial you can make those costumes with speed and efficiency, and very few broken needles!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back