ST:Wrath of Khan - Field Jacket - with photos of other cool people in them

Felgacarb

Sr Member
ST:Wrath of Khan - Field Jacket - Complete - First Version

Here's the progress thus far:

I started by sketching up some full size patterns.

Pattern2copy.jpg

I mocked-up various parts of the costume to validate (and help improve) my patterns.

Mock-up1copy.jpg

I decided on a color and dyed my material. I used procion fiber reactive dyes, a mix of 'fire red' and 'chocolate brown' (Used a bit more of the brown than red) I used the washing machine method, and it took nearly a day. Not to mention a lot of salt! (And soda ash, and detergent...) I now understand why colored fabric can be twice as expensive as undyed- It's probably worth it. (If you can find the color you need...)

Dye8copy.jpg

Dye12copy.jpg

Here's a comparison, (note that the color is a bit washed out in the camera flash...) on the far right is some leftover material I used for my mock-up, that didn't look too bad, then my first dye test (a bit too red I thought) and left and rolled is the color I settled on.

Dye1copy.jpg

I chose to start the serious work with the sleeves. This was because the sleeves have most of the complex features of the jacket, and if I totally blow it, I haven't used that much material up... First came the elbow pads:

Sleeve1copy.jpg

Then I cut the interfacing and ironed it onto the outer material. I've decided I rather like fusible interfacing.

Sleeve3copy.jpg

For the giant piping I used 9.5mm cording. And I learned that to get it to assemble right, you must cut the piping material on the bias. (Before this project, I didn't even know what that meant...)

Sleeve9copy.jpg

Sleeve10copy.jpg

I didn't have any luck in my search for proper 'solar system' patches for the shoulder. So I scratch made a couple- mostly with a tight zig-zag stitch, but some paint and sharpie was used as well.

Patch1copy.jpg

Patch4copy.jpg

So here's what the (flattened out) left sleeve looks like: (You can see the mock-up sleeve below it.)

Sleeve20copy.jpg

I still need to add the big department color strap with it's piping, squeaks and pips, but that will be attached later. Here's the left sleeve together with the jacket's lining- you can see the collar in progress as well.

Sleevecopy.jpg

That's it so far. I figure I'm around 30% done. I still have to convince myself I can come up with a good way to attach the external pockets....

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Re: WIP - ST:Wrath of Khan - Field Jacket

Lookin' good!

I've always liked this jacket. It's cool to see your progress. :)

OK, I'm very jealous now. I love this jacket, and I would love to learn mixing dyes. I can never find the right color fabrics.

I've only seen one done in the past.
Yours is number two. This is a very ambitious project. :thumbsup

Bravo! You are absolutely dedicated to attempt this jacket. I have loved that jacket for so long, and no guts to try. I take my hat off to you.

Awesome! Look forward to your steps to completion :)

Jen

What material did you use?
Thanks- I used a heavy cotton duck for the outer material (10 oz)
BTW...You should consider sharing this over here... Starfleet 1701st! Forums I know some folks that would love to see it.

I have been poking around there for information and ideas. If this comes out well I may have to join and cross post the build. I've started cutting material for the main body. I know exactly how I'll do the insets, I have a plan for the straps, but I'm still deciding on how to do the pockets....

I definately encourage you to cross post the build. Like I said you're only the second person I've seen tackle this one and those jackets are just plain nice.

First the McCoy jacket and now this one, you continue to make my favorite Trek jackets in order. Looks great, and I can't wait to see if you get #3 as well.

Looks good so far.

I know you can pull this off!

Great work, Felgacarb!!

If for some reason it doesn't fit you and you have to make a second coat, I might be interested in this one. ;) Just sayin'...

On a more serious note, you said you couldn't find the shoulder patch. The one you made looks nice, but in case your interested, Joseph Kerezman makes them:

Patches
(scroll down about halfway to 'Solar System Patch)

He also sells on eBay as captainamerca (yes, there is no 'i', amerca is correct), but I don't see this patch currently listed in his active auctions. His delivery time is usually pretty short for ready-made items such as patches.

Can't wait to see how this turns out! My lady recently made us Airwolf flight suits, which had a lot of similar quilting...we feel your pain.

Art
'Jon8712'

Latest update:

I was sick over the weekend, so I got less done that I had hoped... nevertheless, here are some progress pictures...

Cutting out the main body pieces:
Cutout1copy.jpg

Assembling the lower back parts:
Back2copy.jpg

Making the upper back fancy parts:
Back8copy.jpg

With all the major back parts pinned to the dummy- starting to look jacket-ish...
Backcopy.jpg

Lots more still to do...

Fantastic work so far. This is on my "someday" list.. but I need to beef up on skills first.

It goes without saying, but I have to say it anyway...

:thumbsupOUTSTANDING:thumbsup

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back