ssdesigner and the Shawshank Redemption

ssdesigner

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Born in Ohio (not 15 miles from the Mansfield prison) I always wanted to get back there, after my favorite film was shot in the area......last week I did just that.

I visited over a dozen film locations from Shawshank Redemption last week. It was a trip, and an experience, that I will never forget. I will continue to post a number of photos I took along the way, I hope (I hope) you enjoy them as much as I did :)

Opening scene (screen cap) with Andy drinking....the golf pro's house:

As you can see in the photos I took, there were MANY cabins in this area of Malabar Farm. The story said it was the golf pro's house, so I'm guessing that the woodpile in the screen cap above was put there to cover up the cabin to the right.

Shawshank Prison:

Screen Cap:

You can see where the metal fence posts are left for the filming of the movie, they just removed the fence itself:

Tour Photos:

This is the stairway going up to the warden's office, seen in a few shots throughout the film:

None of the Shawshank Prison cellblock scenes were filmed at the Mansfield Reformatory. They wanted the same "look", but needed both tiers to face each other in order to make certain scenes work (the opening bet scene in particular, where the guys bet on which new fish would crack first)...so, they completely built the prison cells in a warehouse just up the street from the prison.

During the confession of the guy that really DID kill Andy's wife and the golf pro you can somewhat make out the above jail cells and this window....that scene WAS shot at Mansfield Reformatory:

This was the room where the guys watched the Rita H. film. If you watch the movie, you can see the painting of ***** and the hole where the movie projector light shines through the wall:

The stairs going from the movie room to the outside of the prison were used in the scene where Floyd comes down the steps to tell Andy & Red that Brooks was trying to kill Haywood:

The door to Andy's desk and the Warden's office...this was the window Hadley broke to get at Andy for playing the music over the prison PA system:

Warden's office:

This is where the wall safe was:

The Brewer, where Brooks and Red stayed after getting out (this building was designed by the same Architect as Mansfield Reformatory) :

Screen cap:

Trip photos:

The room where Brooks killed himself is actually in Mansfield Reformatory, on the same floor as the Warden's office:

Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'....that's gorram right:

The delousing room and the yellow line:

Andy crawled to freedom through five-hundred yards of *&%@ smelling foulness I can't even imagine

Where Brooks was almost hit by a car:

Screen cap:

Trip photo:

The next morning, right about the time Racquel was spilling her little secret...a man nobody ever laid eyes on before strolled into the Maine National Bank. Until that moment, he didn't exist -- except on paper. He had all the proper I.D. Driver's license, birth certificate, social security card. And, the signature was a spot-on match.

Me, & THE tree...(and yes, that is an electric fence behind me)

-Ss

Last edited:
Can't wait to see your pictures.
I'd love to see some of the places from my favourite movies, maybe one day i'll get around to doing it. :)

Looking forward to some more Pics.

I have been to Mansfield a few times, the first in the 80's.

Awesome place!

tell me you pissed on the tree!

Growing up and living in LA, near everything is a movie/tv location. Its the locations that are actually sought out away from the standard fare that are the best ones.

Thanks for sharing these sweet photos. I can't wait to see your other ones. You gonna end up in Xihuatanejo? lol.

Shawshank Redemption was such a good movie...or at least I thought it was. :)

Brilliant!
At last a thread I can look over my shoulder and say, 'Hey, come and take a look at this on the RPF!' knowing my wife will be interested. It's one of her top 5 movies.
Cheers Ss.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. Hey, there's a t-shirt design for you: "I escaped Shawshank Prison and all I got was this lousy t-shirt...and boy did I need to wash it afterwards"

Thanks everyone! Sorry that I've been such a sluffer in getting more pics up :unsure but I will soon! I have LOTS of pics and screen cap comparisons to go with them :):thumbsup

-Ss

Very nice pics. Excellent locations. How did you find some of those places.

I would love to visit the prison someday. It is not too far from me. I loved seeing it when it was on Ghost Hunters. They still had the tunnell he crawled through at the site and the room Brooks hung himself in is in the prison.

Best,
DBCooper

Many pics added (finally!) Thanks for the compliments everyone! :)

Very nice pics. Excellent locations. How did you find some of those places.

Go to Malabar Farms FIRST....they have a 12 point brocure with pics, web addys, phone numbers and addresses. With that and the GPS it was a breeze :)

If anyone is in the area and has time, PLEASE contact me. There was a photo I really wanted but couldn't find the location before the trip. The scene where Red gets dropped off and walks toward the tree....there is a Buxton sign and a farm house in the background, I know exactly where that is now and I'd LOVE a pic.

-Ss

Last edited:
tell me you pissed on the tree!

Growing up and living in LA, near everything is a movie/tv location. Its the locations that are actually sought out away from the standard fare that are the best ones.

:lol:lol:lol

I wasn't able to get close enough to be honest. If you try to sneak into the area via the main road going into Malabar Farm you must cross the electric fence. The other way to get to the tree is via the exact same route Red took in the film. I don't suggest anyone sneaking onto private property, so I didn't even bother, but it would have been rather easy to be honest.

Funny thing is, I spoke with Jody (she owns the land that the tree is on) via the phone 2 years ago. She was VERY cool, told me to call her and she would walk to the tree with me, tell me what she remembered from the film etc.....well, the Shawshank Reunion tour (that trampled all over her property without asking) changed that in a BIG way. I called her just before I went out there, she said that she didn't remember me, and that there is no way she would have said it was OK to go on her land. Quite honestly, it was a pretty uncomfortable conversation, because she did tell me that it would have been OK, but that was 2 years ago. :unsure

There was also a couple that offered her $1000 to get married under the tree....of course she said no. (n)unsure

-Ss

Thanks for posting the additional pictures. You did a great job with all of these!

Crazy story about the property owner...

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back