SS model stands

achilles266

Hello Guys

I have been doing some research on stands/display options for models and wanted to hear what your input is, just wondering what you all use as stands for your SS models in particular x-wing/y-wing/TIE

Thanks

I had a look at that site but with postage to Australia they want $100 each though I could ask them about priority shipping as they dont have the price for that on the site even though it is a option.

achilles266 i haven’t made any SS models yet but hope to start after Christmas and not sure what you will be using for your base but im thinking of using one of the MR helmet stand bases that i do and getting a plaque to go with it.
Until i do a SS kit i will not know if the base will be stable enough as I would not want any of these models to topple over. They might work for smaller models but If you want i have a few 2nd grade bases and i could send you down one for free if you want to try it. I was thinking of a tapered post for a remote down the track but something similar might look OK. Below is the base and the idea of the tapered post in photo shop.

5778432118_9b341463fb_m.jpg

6379895005_6e0d7b0c25_m.jpg

You could cut out the centre hole and place your stand over a Panavise mount, that would/should work quite well. Most resin Kits especially studio scale are quite heavy and need a solid base.

Here is an inexpensive option.
hemma-table-lamp-base.jpg

Hemma table lamp base available from Ikea(part #- 801.495.11). It’s 14″ high with a base 5″ square, last I checked it’s only $4.99(US) . They have other sizes, styles and finishes of course they cost a little more. Take off the light socket and you have a threaded tube, the parts are standard so you can the mated thread parts at any hardware store. The tube is hollow so you can route wire, or use the existing wire. Either way it's the least expensive option out there.

That's what I used for my D-7.
sideview-1024x768.jpg

Yeah I wouldnt mind giving one of your stands a try thanks for the offer if it works I will purchase a couple as I have a fair few projects on the desk :)

I have been to Jaycar a few times and had a look at some of their heavy duty metal microphone stands that you can bend to adjust the display angle they are very sturdy just not sure if they could hold the weight or not I will have a closer look into them aswell

Though as they are hollow it would be very easy to run the wiring out of the kit if you didnt want to house everything in the model (for easy access I guess)

Thanks for the suggestions guys I think i will get some of those stands even if it doesnt work I like the idea of the display plaque for each of my kits it will make it look nice but I will test it out first.

achilles266 i haven’t made any SS models yet but hope to start after Christmas and not sure what you will be using for your base but im thinking of using one of the MR helmet stand bases that i do and getting a plaque to go with it.
Until i do a SS kit i will not know if the base will be stable enough as I would not want any of these models to topple over. They might work for smaller models but If you want i have a few 2nd grade bases and i could send you down one for free if you want to try it. I was thinking of a tapered post for a remote down the track but something similar might look OK. Below is the base and the idea of the tapered post in photo shop.

5778432118_9b341463fb_m.jpg

6379895005_6e0d7b0c25_m.jpg

I used a Speaker stand for my Y , but for when im working on the x's I use a desk top mic stand which mounts from the rear. When I'm painting I just use plumbers pipe from bunnings and then use the panavise for the display.

07d35e86.jpg
[/IMG]

3ff5b4e7.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks for the tips, yeah I may go to jaycar to get the mic stand for the painting of my kits and work on something more high quality for the display stand

I used a Speaker stand for my Y , but for when im working on the x's I use a desk top mic stand which mounts from the rear. When I'm painting I just use plumbers pipe from bunnings and then use the panavise for the display.

07d35e86.jpg
[/IMG]

3ff5b4e7.jpg
[/IMG]

Here is an inexpensive option.

Hemma table lamp base available from Ikea(part #- 801.495.11). It’s 14″ high with a base 5″ square, last I checked it’s only $4.99(US) . They have other sizes, styles and finishes of course they cost a little more. Take off the light socket and you have a threaded tube, the parts are standard so you can the mated thread parts at any hardware store. The tube is hollow so you can route wire, or use the existing wire. Either way it's the least expensive option out there.

That's what I used for my D-7.

I'm going to give it a shot ... going to Ikea tomorrow anyways :)

I looked locally for those Panavise 883T and they get sold for 60$ each!!
On that securityideas site, they're 28$ .. that's ridiculous! I'm gonna order 2 or 3 of them if they ship with something else then UPS (else I'm getting hit with around 20$ shipping + 30$ broker fees + 20$ custom fees. That's ridiculous .. I hate those big carriers!

I love USPS!

You guys in Australia need to get hooked up with Bongo. They are a freight consolidator. They will give you a US address to have everything shipped to. Then, they will forward it on to you via FedEx. They do so much volume, they can get you prices up to 60% less than what you would pay if you shipped it overseas yourself.

Hey Jedimaster: looks like you're using 1/2" galvanized pipe for your painting stands. Great idea. How do you step that down to a 1/4-20 threaded end to attach to the model? I think I may build a similar stand for painting.

I use Ikea lamp stands only $18 each, the base is heavy and super stable, you can cut rod to whatever size you like.

GFollano

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back