SS model stands

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by achilles266, Nov 20, 2011.

1. achilles266

achilles266 Active Member

Hello Guys

I have been doing some research on stands/display options for models and wanted to hear what your input is, just wondering what you all use as stands for your SS models in particular x-wing/y-wing/TIE

Thanks

2. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Panavise 883-T

Best idea REL ever had ;)

3. achilles266

Thanks for the quick reply, I will look for one now :)

4. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

What he said....

5. achilles266

Anyone know where the best place to get it from in Australia is?? or anyone wanna buy me one and ship it over here?

Thanks

6. cosmic_x

cosmic_x Well-Known Member

7. achilles266

I had a look at that site but with postage to Australia they want $100 each though I could ask them about priority shipping as they dont have the price for that on the site even though it is a option.

8. 3phase

3phase Well-Known Member

achilles266 i haven’t made any SS models yet but hope to start after Christmas and not sure what you will be using for your base but im thinking of using one of the MR helmet stand bases that i do and getting a plaque to go with it.
    Until i do a SS kit i will not know if the base will be stable enough as I would not want any of these models to topple over. They might work for smaller models but If you want i have a few 2nd grade bases and i could send you down one for free if you want to try it. I was thinking of a tapered post for a remote down the track but something similar might look OK. Below is the base and the idea of the tapered post in photo shop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Guy Cowen

Guy Cowen Sr Member

You could cut out the centre hole and place your stand over a Panavise mount, that would/should work quite well. Most resin Kits especially studio scale are quite heavy and need a solid base.

10. TK4611

TK4611 Active Member

11. Commander Max

Commander Max Sr Member

Here is an inexpensive option.
    [​IMG]

Hemma table lamp base available from Ikea(part #- 801.495.11). It’s 14″ high with a base 5″ square, last I checked it’s only $4.99(US) . They have other sizes, styles and finishes of course they cost a little more. Take off the light socket and you have a threaded tube, the parts are standard so you can the mated thread parts at any hardware store. The tube is hollow so you can route wire, or use the existing wire. Either way it's the least expensive option out there.

That's what I used for my D-7.
    [​IMG]

12. achilles266

Yeah I wouldnt mind giving one of your stands a try thanks for the offer if it works I will purchase a couple as I have a fair few projects on the desk :)

I have been to Jaycar a few times and had a look at some of their heavy duty metal microphone stands that you can bend to adjust the display angle they are very sturdy just not sure if they could hold the weight or not I will have a closer look into them aswell

Though as they are hollow it would be very easy to run the wiring out of the kit if you didnt want to house everything in the model (for easy access I guess)

Thanks for the suggestions guys I think i will get some of those stands even if it doesnt work I like the idea of the display plaque for each of my kits it will make it look nice but I will test it out first.

13. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

I used a Speaker stand for my Y , but for when im working on the x's I use a desk top mic stand which mounts from the rear. When I'm painting I just use plumbers pipe from bunnings and then use the panavise for the display.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

14. achilles266

Thanks for the tips, yeah I may go to jaycar to get the mic stand for the painting of my kits and work on something more high quality for the display stand

15. KrokoHunter

KrokoHunter Sr Member

I'm going to give it a shot ... going to Ikea tomorrow anyways :)

16. achilles266

Cool let me know how you go :)

17. Bigturc

Bigturc Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I looked locally for those Panavise 883T and they get sold for 60$ each!!
    On that securityideas site, they're 28$ .. that's ridiculous! I'm gonna order 2 or 3 of them if they ship with something else then UPS (else I'm getting hit with around 20$ shipping + 30$ broker fees + 20$ custom fees. That's ridiculous .. I hate those big carriers!

I love USPS!

18. star-art

star-art Sr Member

You guys in Australia need to get hooked up with Bongo. They are a freight consolidator. They will give you a US address to have everything shipped to. Then, they will forward it on to you via FedEx. They do so much volume, they can get you prices up to 60% less than what you would pay if you shipped it overseas yourself.

19. Troy Downen

Troy Downen Active Member

Hey Jedimaster: looks like you're using 1/2" galvanized pipe for your painting stands. Great idea. How do you step that down to a 1/4-20 threaded end to attach to the model? I think I may build a similar stand for painting.

20. GF

GF Sr Member

I use Ikea lamp stands only $18 each, the base is heavy and super stable, you can cut rod to whatever size you like.

GFollano

21. achilles266

Thanks guys a lot of good ideas being thrown around, Ill have a serious look through all my options and decide which one I will go for, if I can get cheap postage on the panavise mount from the US that would be my ideal option.

Thanks