SS landspeeder from "5-25-77"

wasili

Sr Member
Hi all,

Last week i offered my SS Landspeeder up for sale in the junkyard. I built it earlier this year for use in the movie "5-25-77". I ended the auction early, because the director of the 5-25-77 movie will use it for some additional fx shots for his movie. That did not come to my attention until a day before auction end.

I'm sorry for those that were interested in it, but there might be some good news as well. I will be making addtional parts for the next shots, including the canopy, and the open port engine, among other.

I noticed there is quite some interest in a Landspeeder. So i thought it might be interesting to show a bit on how i made the Landspeeder, so i will post some pics on the build. And some extra shots of the extra parts

I will be making molds for the additional parts. Most likely i will offer 2 or 3 completely finished Landspeeder miniatures, but i haven't decided on that yet. Please feel free to ask questions

Btw, here is the original fs thread which has some additional info.

Wasili

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(shrugger @ Dec 16 2006, 06:22 PM) [snapback]1379307[/snapback]</div>
Timing. As usual, just sucks. :cry :(
[/b]

Ah no worries,

The slots i have open for finished models are not filling up fast. So if they stay open, i will make these available as kits as well.

Wasili

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CaptCBoard @ Dec 17 2006, 06:11 AM) [snapback]1379624[/snapback]</div>
Hey, Wasili--

Any chance I'll be hearing from you soon? I've emailed you twice.

Scott
[/b]

Hi Scott,

Had my head stuck somewhere....

Email sent

Wasili

Wasili,

Can you be more specific what additional details or modifications will be added to your final kit? Example: I see details missing on front of the engines mainly the scoops that go all around, rear detailing, exposed engine detailing, center console ect... so we can know what to expect and not be dissapointed with any missing details, as for now we only have photos of your ebay auction to go by.

Thank you.
GFollano

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(shrugger @ Dec 17 2006, 11:05 PM) [snapback]1379986[/snapback]</div>
Oh, wow. I just realised that. I'd still buy it if I can swing the $ though. Cuz I'd go "Bug Nuts"
trying to create the body shell myself. Here's some pix I took of the studio miniature. See page
2 as well. ;)
http://public.fotki.com/shrugger2/star_wars_at_cosi/
[/b]

Great photos shrugger....

Do you remember if the scuffs and scratches were greyish or more metallic, like silver or aluminum in color? it's hard to tell from the photos.

GFollano

Thanks for the reply,

It does look like just grey primer or paint but I wasn't sure, we always assume bare metal to show threw scuffs, but this is SCIFI and like many SW ships it's never sliver but mostly grey scuffs.

I forgot to ask about the grill around the body, are those more metallic in color?

GFollano

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(shrugger @ Dec 18 2006, 08:38 AM) [snapback]1380221[/snapback]</div>
The full size speeder had a lot of metalic showing across the nose. The model looked like
possibly just the barest hint of it only inside the large dent gouges. Otherwise it was just grey primer
showing. I had my camera on the highest setting for these pix so make sure you full size 'em.
http://images18.fotki.com/v348/file5yPt/45...59/000_0500.jpg
[/b]

Very cool pictures :thumbsup

They show some sections very very clear that i was missing before.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GF @ Dec 18 2006, 07:02 PM) [snapback]1380470[/snapback]</div>
Thanks for the reply,

It does look like just grey primer or paint but I wasn't sure, we always assume bare metal to show threw scuffs, but this is SCIFI and like many SW ships it's never sliver but mostly grey scuffs.

I forgot to ask about the grill around the body, are those more metallic in color?

GFollano
[/b]
Hi GF,

As far as i know, the grills were made from aluminium, by Norank at Elstree. But i am not 100% sure, so if anybody knows for sure, please feel free to chime in. They had a bare metal look, but then again so did the exposed body scuffs, and that was just paint on a fibreglass body (i'm still amazed at that paintjob)...

Wasili

[/quote]
Hi GF,

As far as i know, the grills were made from aluminium, by Norank at Elstree. But i am not 100% sure, so if anybody knows for sure, please feel free to chime in. They had a bare metal look, but then again so did the exposed body scuffs, and that was just paint on a fibreglass body (i'm still amazed at that paintjob)...

Wasili
[/quote]

Do you mean for the Studio scale model or the life size? The scuffs realy look grey on the model.

GFollano

Yeh, the life size,even in person, looks like the body was made of metal under the worn off paint.
But it's really just an astoundingly applied paint job. :eek
There's a tiny spot or two where real dings have occured and you can tell it's a glass shell.

The more I look at the scale model, I believe the grills are actually aluminum. It looks fairly simple
how they were done. A flat strip with channels milled down the length. Painted black, then removed
the paint and polished the high parts of the grill. Then just bent to the curve of the body.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(shrugger @ Dec 19 2006, 12:26 PM) [snapback]1380857[/snapback]</div>
Yeh, the life size,even in person, looks like the body was made of metal under the worn off paint.
There's a tiny spot or two where real dings have occured and you can tell it's a glass shell.

The more I look at the scale model, I believe the grills are actually aluminum. It looks fairly simple
how they were done. A flat strip with channels milled down the length. Painted black, then removed
the paint and polished the high parts of the grill. Then just bent to the curve of the body.
[/b]

On my model they are exactly the same as the full size one. Seperate parts, with small interconnecting rods. It's a bit difficult to see, but if you look from a distance, you can see the holes behind the grilles. It was fun to built those too.

The way it was done on the ILM miniature was much more simple than on the full-size obviously.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wasili @ Dec 19 2006, 02:59 PM) [snapback]1380909[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(shrugger @ Dec 19 2006, 12:26 PM) [snapback]1380857[/snapback]

[/b]

On my model they are exactly the same as the full size one. Seperate parts, with small interconnecting rods. It's a bit difficult to see, but if you look from a distance, you can see the holes behind the grilles. It was fun to built those too.

The way it was done on the ILM miniature was much more simple than on the full-size obviously.
[/b][/quote]

ANY UPDATES?

I'm hoping for an update, too.

wasili was last on the board on January 18. Last year we exchanged e-mail several times and his correspondence was always prompt, detailed, and enjoyable.

I hope that everything is okay.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(temponaut @ Feb 3 2007, 11:14 AM) [snapback]1410847[/snapback]</div>
I'm hoping for an update, too.

wasili was last on the board on January 18. Last year we exchanged e-mail several times and his correspondence was always prompt, detailed, and enjoyable.

I hope that everything is okay.
[/b]

Hi all,

everything is ok here, well sort of. I was supposed to be in my new workshop by now, but the owner is giving me a lot more problems than i anticipated for. I started to organise this in august 06, but in the meantime the contract of my old workshop expired on the 1st of january, and the new shop isn't finished yet......aaaarrghhh...i don't even have the keys yet.

So at the moment i'm working out of my house (which i haven't done for some 7 years), so the misses isn't too thrilled about it. Especially working with fibreglass in a 2 room appartment doesn't make you friends.

I should have some nice pics for you guys by the end of the week. Hope all is well with y'all.

Best,

Wasili

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back