SS Buck Rogers Starfighter

So I just got this today, but I thought it had a pilot. No? The link above shows one, but now I see that is by Nice-N. Is that a different kit altogether? The empty cockpit, without much representation of even an empty seat, is awkward. What have people been doing about this?
Thanks,
Mike Todd

The pilot figure in the Nice-N kit is a holdover from the Jim Key kit, which I mastered about a dozen years ago for Jim. While finer in detail than the actual pilot used in the filming miniature, it is undersized. Probably needs to be something like 1/18th scale. I had plans to make a new figure closer to the size of the original model, but with better detail now that I had better reference. But the best laid plans.....

Gene

So, again, what are people doing about the pilot. I won't bring myself to build this without some option set up, first. I have generally always hated doing figures of any kind--figures standing up (like a model that is just a figure) or seated pilots. I do them when necessary, but I often try to pose ships sitting on the ground to avoid it altogether. This one, I've got to make it in flight. Since I don't like dealing with pilot figures that are already there, I really hate the idea of having to sculpt my own. (Although, even if I find a figure, surgery will be required to make it fit in this cockpit.

Dedalus, I am looking at a 1/18th scale star wars figure. There is one in a local vintage toys shop for £10. Will get it this week. I will need to cut off his collar and make the helmet, then open up the floor and build seats etc....bit of a pain really. The cockpit floors need doing either way as you will be able to see inside. I will not be lighting the cockpit though.

Derek

I have thunderfighters in stock now. You can always drop the pilot in later. It will be just the half body to fit the kit.
George

OK so I just sprayed the Pantne 467 and here are my thoughts:

1. The colour is horrible!!!
2. The spray nozzle is terrible as it sprays a thin but wide horizontal line rather than a nice cone of paint like the Halfords car cans do!!!

So there is too much paint deposited to get coverage I turned the nozzle 90 degrees to see if it did anything....no difference it still lays down too much paint. Off to Halfords to see if I can find a colour more in line with what I want...Namely a light sand colour as in

SF 467U.jpg

If these Pantones are to be used, I would suggest decanting them and using an airbrush. I will do this with the Thunderbird 2 colours I have for the 1/144 Imai Big one I have.

Though I guess it is more like this in colour

vlcsnap-2016-03-31-20h47m28s35.png In reality....not as the pic above.
Too yellow for the look I want. Decisions...decisions!

Might try Testers light air craft gray. It has a slightly warmer yellow cast, closer to the photo.

Sweet model by the way.

OK so I just sprayed the Pantne 467 and here are my thoughts:

1. The colour is horrible!!!
2. The spray nozzle is terrible as it sprays a thin but wide horizontal line rather than a nice cone of paint like the Halfords car cans do!!!

The original color is too yellow/tan for my taste, I'd prefer a white/gray myself. Inaccurate but I like what I like.

The nozzle design is a fan spray pattern and is meant to prevent heavy buildup. A horizontal line is for spraying in a vertical motion, a vertical line is for a horizontal motion. It works great when you know what to do with it. I saved a few fan nozzles to use on cans that don't have it.

Robn, I considered swapping the nozzle for a Halfords one which I feel dumps less paint and is more controllable ( just my opinion ) but as I didn't like the colour so there was no point.I found the can put down a lot of paint which created the orange peel effect which I do not get with the Halfords. SoI picked up a can of spray from Halfords and have put down a layer. Will post pics tomorrow. It is Rover Rattan Beige.

A super rough color correct, assuming that her helmet is white:

Untitled-1.jpg

It's probably still quite not right but probably closer to what was photographed.

I just picked up the kit a few months ago too!

I'm going to try the Rust-oleum Navajo White.

What are you going to do about the laser cannons? I'm thinking of getting some tubing and plunking it in but I'd prefer to drill down the gun trench so it looks like it's embedded inside the ship.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back