SS ANH TIE Fighter - some slight progress

joewhite

Sr Member
Here lately, I've been trying to tackle the TIE Fighter. I got some vintage Koolshade (thanks Matt!!!) and I decided that I'd attempt to build the ship ILM style rather than look for a resin kit.

I'm starting with the wing stars. I plan to get the shapes laser cut, stick the donor kits on and cast each star just like the Model Shop did back in the day.

Here's an early look at my wing star drawings. I used some of the donor parts I do have, took measurements and made vector drawings of them as best as I could. I also used the best ortho view photo of the wing that I could find. I'm no expert but I tried to combat photo distortion. With or without distortion, I've come to realize that most shapes which ILM cut from sheet styrene aren't perfectly symmetrical so I tried to incorporate as many flaws that I could. These are not the final drawings, of course, and hope to gather more info to make better ones.

Which leads me to my first question. To those who have built or are attempting this build...do you go with perfectly symmetrical shapes or not?

wingstartest.jpg

Joe

Last edited:
Re: SS ANH TIE Fighter - very early progress

Personally I'd go as perfectly symmetrical as possible. Just makes it easier to build. :)

Yeah, that's probably best anyway. I'd hate to build a beater TIE with lop-sided parts! :lol Here's a quick drawing with everything as symmetrical as possible.

I didn't include the rest of the "arms"...just the top of the t-rod which I measure at 5/32". I think that's about right. The slanted walls will have to wait until I get more kits so that I can take some measurements. In the meantime...anybody know the dimensions for the modified Matra wheel? The more measurements (spokes, base diameter, top diameter, etc.) the better....and as always, I'd greatly appreciate it!

I think I'll get these shapes cut out and start playing with them.

wingstartest3.jpg

Joe

TK4701 really spent a lot of time and effort grabbing a ton of photos - check out his website! Thank you very, very much for that TK4701!

Yes, back then ILM most likely did hand drawings and didn't use CAD, and they were also in a rush so it doesn't surprise me that assymetry was common.

There are those who want to built the replica "exactly as the original" including the imperfections, while others are satisfied with reproducing what the "intent" of the modelers was. Personally I prefer symmetry, and my TIE Bomber will have a full cockpit rather than wires showing through the cockpit window!:lol

Joe your project looks great so far - thanks for sharing! I will be following this thread with great interest since I have a Niesen TIE and was planning to make my own wings anyway, instead of using the kit's solid wings. I'll be more than happy to share whatever info. I can.

Keep up the good work!

Last edited:

ILMwannabe,
I'd love to get measurements off of the Niesen TIE...with Steve's ok....so that I can compare to the measurements I'm pulling from the ref pics.

Joe

Hey TK4702 thanks for posting those screen grabs. Christmas just cam early for me seeing those shots. I/we really appreciate the time you spent to do that.
Looking at the Tie Wing Star I put it up against my Icons Wing Casting & it is an absolute perfect match. This confirms without a doubt that the ICONS Tie Wings were cast off an 'original' Tie Wing Star. Thanks as thats relieved alot of tension about what I bought from whom & when I bought it. I will post a picture for varification. Thanks again & keep up the good work Joe.

Jase, that is good news! I might be bugging you for some measurements if that's cool.

Jedibountyhunter, Ooh, cool.....would you like to share notes?

Joe

Cool! I look forward to it! In the meantime, I've measured a few more parts from donor kits I received recently. I'm going to plug them into my drawing here soon.

Joe

Well, I finally got some spare time to work on my wing stars. Here I'm simply observing the relation between the Koolshade and some of the parts. The Koolshade is super helpful in determining the dimensions of the star and various panels. Some parts are obviously unmodified.

I plan on casting all the parts and building each side of the wing separately. I don't have pressure pots or chambers to cast a single star with parts. I'd be left with copies full of air bubbles which is why I am building all four sides individually.

I originally thought of keeping everything symmetrical between all of the panels. Unfortunately, I quickly began to notice that some of the parts were beginning to spread out a little in some areas making it look off to my eye. So, it looks like I will try to capture some of the flaws made by ILM hand cutting the styrene.

I only have a couple of months to laser cut my stars as I will be moving later this year and will sadly lose access to the wonderful laser cutter I've been spoiled on for the last three years! Therefore, it's important that I push on with this.....at least complete the cutouts for the wings. I can always mold and cast when I settle in to my new home later.

Also, we're still id'ing parts at the Studio Scale Modelers and there have been lots of cool people over there helping out! Thanks again, guys! More coming soon.

tf-study-wingparts1.jpg

Joe

So I know the Koolshade is roughly .060" in thickness. What should the wing stars and card stock measure?

Looking at the ref....I am guessing that the wing stars are about .080". I know they protrude out a bit past the H-channel. That would leave the center card stock to be 080" as well. The two Koolshade layers and card stock would measure a combined .2", very close to the thickness of the H-channel.

Does this sound right?

Joe

I just got my koolshade yesterday. I have Neissen Standard TIE I built,but the cast wings,while nice,are not the same. I am going to measure my standard wings make symmetric, have the stars and middle laser cut from acrylic and hack up the standard wings I have for the greeblies. Kind of sad considering the work i had to do to get the straight and true. Would prefer to just buy some,but there don't seem to be any around. I'll be watching you Joe, and stealing your ideas!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back