Spider-Man Noir Costume Build 2019

Would you be up for uploading your fullsize faceshell template to here? I'd like to go off it as a baseline for mine if you'd be okay with that!

Would you be up for uploading your fullsize faceshell template to here? I'd like to go off it as a baseline for mine if you'd be okay with that!

Absolutely, I am going to adjust it a bit because it was a bit too long (not round enough). I will have that done and tested in the next few days and I will post a PDF which will be able to be opened in Illustrator. I put so much work into the leather helmet but it isn't right. A good start but I need to remake it. Such a shame as it is almost there. Because it is leather it is unlikely that I will just be able to alter what I already have.

I have more pictures of the construction to post but have been busy since the weekend.

Awesome! Well I'll be tackling mine from the leather helmet side first, so maybe we can come at it from both sides and maybe meet in the middle a few days from now!

Awesome! Well I'll be tackling mine from the leather helmet side first, so maybe we can come at it from both sides and maybe meet in the middle a few days from now!

Yeah, I am a bit stuck with how to resolve the issues I am having with it.

I am starting to think that maybe the back part (the back part of the shell is EVA the front is Worbla) of the helmet should perhaps be split and held together with magnets and perhaps the hemp rope, that I have used to tie the leather panels together, could be replace with elastic at the back (the sort of elastic you would use in hair ties). That would allow the helmet to be pulled apart at the back and then it should snap back together once in place. The problem I have at the moment is that the back of the helmet has to be elongated in order to get it on and then it is sort of crushed back against the head by the elastic that is connected to the aviator goggles.

I am not sure if I have explained this in a way which is comprehensible but I intend on doing a post mortem on the costume an how I intend to improve it in the future. In the meantime here is a picture of the helmet which shows the way the back part, which sits on the EVA part of the structure, has become crushed to fit it to the back of my head.

Any ideas on how to resolve it would be appreciated (sorry about the quality of the image).

IMG_0591.JPG

I have just attached the pattern I used for the leather part of the skull cap. Clearly it is something I intend to change but if someone wishes to use it and make some fabric samples first, then it may be fit for the purpose once it is modified.

Attachments

• Skull Cap 20190625.pdf
    227.2 KB · Views: 224
Yeah, I am a bit stuck with how to resolve the issues I am having with it.

I am starting to think that maybe the back part (the back part of the shell is EVA the front is Worbla) of the helmet should perhaps be split and held together with magnets and perhaps the hemp rope, that I have used to tie the leather panels together, could be replace with elastic at the back (the sort of elastic you would use in hair ties). That would allow the helmet to be pulled apart at the back and then it should snap back together once in place. The problem I have at the moment is that the back of the helmet has to be elongated in order to get it on and then it is sort of crushed back against the head by the elastic that is connected to the aviator goggles.

I am not sure if I have explained this in a way which is comprehensible but I intend on doing a post mortem on the costume an how I intend to improve it in the future. In the meantime here is a picture of the helmet which shows the way the back part, which sits on the EVA part of the structure, has become crushed to fit it to the back of my head.

Any ideas on how to resolve it would be appreciated (sorry about the quality of the image).

View attachment 1032457
Yeah, I get where you're coming from. Personally, I might just do away with the back half of the faceshell to be completely honest. Faceshells don't typically extend so far back on the skull as you have crafted it -- they go about parallel with your chin strap all the way up then stop. You could trim it at that point and then just leave the leather to hang loose at the back when not on your head, and it'll be pulled pretty taut when you put the mask on.

I'm essentially building a full leather aviator helmet, and then incorporating the faceshell and more of the other fabric all the way down the neck. It'll buckle at the bottom and be secured that way -- the faceshell will only really be used to give the front of my mask form.

Yeah, I get where you're coming from. Personally, I might just do away with the back half of the faceshell to be completely honest. Faceshells don't typically extend so far back on the skull as you have crafted it -- they go about parallel with your chin strap all the way up then stop. You could trim it at that point and then just leave the leather to hang loose at the back when not on your head, and it'll be pulled pretty taut when you put the mask on.

I'm essentially building a full leather aviator helmet, and then incorporating the faceshell and more of the other fabric all the way down the neck. It'll buckle at the bottom and be secured that way -- the faceshell will only really be used to give the front of my mask form.

I thought about doing it like that but thought that it might look odd where the leather transitioned off the shell. I would like to make a version which has the full aviator style helmet going down over the jowls and fixing with a strap - the first attempt is never right. I wore a urethane hood under mine to hide my skin and hair. It is going to be interesting to see what you come up with. If you aren't using the back of the face shell I will post the one that I drew up now as the front part seems perfect.

Yeah, I won't be using the back at all -- that would be really helpful if you could post that! And if you want, I'm about to go through the whole trial and error leather hood process, so you could wait for me to make some headway on that and then post my progress.

Here is the full Spider-Man Noir face shell which I modified from similar Spider-Man face shells I have found on the internet (I would credit the original designer but I don't have his or her name at the moment). Modify it however you wish.

Attachments

• Spider-Man Noir Face Shell 20190608.pdf
    338 KB · Views: 211
Update June 26, 2019

I still need to upload some photos and describe what I did to finish off my costume just prior to Supanova but that is going to require some time. In the meantime this fabric just arrived from Spoonflower. Not in time for last weekend but better late than never I suppose. The colours are perfect.

The trousers which I made for Supanova only just held out with the seams coming apart by the time I got home. Avoid polyester materials whenever possible. I will sew these together before Oz Comic Con Sydney this year.

IMG_0595.JPG

These are some photographs which I took of the construction of the waistcoat on June 20.

The first demonstrates a problem that I encountered with trying to match the lining up with the leather. There are two vertical seams in the back and with leather it makes a huge difference to the width of the finished piece. You can see how much narrower the finished leather back is than the lining despite the fact that they are based on the same pattern. I was out by about 1cm on each side. The lesson learned: Make an allowance for leather seams. Fortunately, the waistcoat was a little larger than it needed to be so it still fitted. All things considered the reduction in the width probably worked out for the best.

IMG_0571_1.jpg

The following pictures shows how I constructed the finished lining and outer shell.

First thing I did was to sew the shoulder seams of the lining front to the lining back and likewise with the fronts. When I had finished both I had one finished front and one finished lining which look like giant "Y"s. I added a collar to each side of the waistcoat at this stage. I don't have my collar sewn on in this picture but I did before I paired the two sides up to each other.

IMG_0577.JPG

Having backed up the lining to the leather I then sewed along the lines marked. It is important to leave the two side seams open and the seam at the middle at the back of this picture. Once I had finished stitching along the marked seams I turned the whole item inside out so that the waistcoat was now the right way around.

IMG_0578_1.JPG

I don't have a picture of the next process but I will try to explain it as best as I can using the previous picture.

With the waistcoat now turned the right way out you I pulled the front side seams A & B down to meet the back side seams A & B which left the waistcoat looking pretty much as it should when finished. However, I then pull the front side seams through the back side seams and then pulled all four seams out through the hole that I had left at the bottom of the back. Then I matched the front and back leather and the front and back lining seams together (A to A and B to B) and sewed them together. This was awkward, particularly given the thickness of the leather, but with some patience it was done.

IMG_0578_2-01-01.JPG

I have included a series of pictures below which hopefully illustrate how the turning out of the seams through the bottom hole is done.

IMG_0596.JPG

IMG_0597.JPG

IMG_0598.JPG

IMG_0599.JPG

IMG_0600.JPG

To finish it it just needed button holes done and the edges hammered and top stitched but I haven't got around to that yet. I sliced the button holes and temporarily sewed on the buttons so that I could use it. I will fix it proper like in the next few weeks.

I didn't get many photos myself last weekend however, thanks to my mate Voldy, here is a reasonable close up of the waistcoat and skull cap. The more I see those trousers the more I loathe them. Looking forward to stitching together my new ones.

64785822_10156055360726945_6459042969600131072_n.jpg

It is fairly clear that there is a considerable amount of top stitching to be done here to smarten the waistcoat up. However, before I do that I need to turn the whole thing inside out and do some welted button holes down the front. I tried stitching them but it doesn't look so good.

Here is the full Spider-Man Noir face shell which I modified from similar Spider-Man face shells I have found on the internet (I would credit the original designer but I don't have his or her name at the moment). Modify it however you wish.
This is an awesome project. I think it’s great that you have documented every step of way. I was just wondering: how did you scale the template to size before you printed it?

This is an awesome project. I think it’s great that you have documented every step of way. I was just wondering: how did you scale the template to size before you printed it?
A very belated update. I can't remember how I scaled the template for the face shell. However, I am thinking of remaking the mask and I have some new ideas about how to improve it. I will post when I am done.

Update June 9, 2019

Didn't get as much finished as I wanted to but I got the lower part of the shell covering finished. I have used a rubberised polyester looking fabric which has a honeycomb pattern on it. The pattern isn't perfect but it was a first version. Also, in the photos, you can see a lot of the texture in the worbla underneath but it isn't so obvious in real life. I attached the lower part of the shell cover to the worbla by first punching a heated awl through the worbla and then, painstakingly, hand sewing the fabric to the shell.

I cut the leather for the top and got it skived (I hate skiving). Should be sewing it together tomorrow.

EDIT: I was going to plastidip the shell but I am up against the clock and need to get this done ASAP. I will work on a MkII version eventually using everything I have leant making this one.

View attachment 1027716View attachment 1027715View attachment 1027717View attachment 1027714View attachment 1027712View attachment 1027711View attachment 1027710View attachment 1027705View attachment 1027708View attachment 1027707View attachment 1027704View attachment 1027702View attachment 1027709View attachment 1027706
hi I would like to know if you can pass a link to buy that "fabric" used to make the lower part of the mask as I can't find it anywhere...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back