Space Command Space Suits

Status
Not open for further replies.
No real updates to the site. Everythings in the hands of the license holder so to speak.
The ALIEN suits are keeping us busy. Post pics as you can of the suit progress. The space suits are always my passion!!

Blowing these will be interesting!! Look forward to updates!!

If you need any other help just let us know.

Richie

Thanks Richie. Ya they are a tough one as you well know. I can't even start the supporting structure of the helmets until I have the bubbles.

Steve

Can't imagine how they're going to blow them in one piece, but really looking forward to seeing the process! (y)thumbsup
Having learned a lot so far watching the Space Clipper films I’m excited to see how the costumes are put together.

I wonder if it's possible to re-heat and reform blown globes? Make a collar to seal it, heat certain areas, and pressurize.

WARNING: CRAZY IDEA TIME.

What if you did like you did for the CLIPPER but in reverse? Cut shapes for the helmet from the outside in hardboard. Then filled in the spaces with some type of foam. Skin it and then blow in heated plastic. Or can a vacuform be done at that size?

Maybe this is one of those "easy from the sidelines" ideas. Plus, it sounds like you have some good people lined up.

Ted.

No Andy wants me to stick as much as possible to is design he's real strict about this issue.

steve

Andy has that reputation, but his designs are amazing! I recall reading an article about the building of the Enterprise D for Star Trek-TNG; where the model makers at ILM mentioned how they had to construct it pretty much exactly the way Andy designed it! :thumbsup

Wait, what? Steve you have two threads on this? Which should I follow -- this or the other?

I'm really jazzed about following the details of this project, I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas or something (very rare feeling these days)! I want all you can give us on this one, and thanks for letting us in on this! :thumbsup

Doug

Using the two views Mr.Probert provided, I built the helmet dome in Solidworks,
533863_10150880971933507_324537413_n.jpg
front view
533863_10150880971943507_1023220938_n.jpg
back
it's not perfect but it's a start.

Last edited:
I get my Budget from Doug tomorrow but unfortunately it won't allow for CAD work, metal molds and professional blown bubble as they all have to be exact to fit the frame work.

Couple of grand for set up maybe more and a 1000 a pop is what I have found out.

How ever they can be vacuum formed front and back making ever pull the same. I can nearly blend the two together so they are nearly seamless which is more in reach of the budget.

Now if some wants to CNC mill a front and back form to pull the vacuum formed pulls from PM me. ;)

Steve

I get my Budget from Doug tomorrow but unfortunately it won't allow for CAD work, metal molds and professional blown bubble as they all have to be exact to fit the frame work.

Couple of grand for set up maybe more and a 1000 a pop is what I have found out.

How ever they can be vacuum formed front and back making ever pull the same. I can nearly blend the two together so they are nearly seamless which is more in reach of the budget.

Now if some wants to CNC mill a front and back form to pull the vacuum formed pulls from PM me. ;)

Steve

Try volpin he might be able to help you. He's done some amazing stuff, I'll bet he will be able to figure it out.

I think it´s not too costly to have that shape milled out of XPS as a buck for vac forming. I am sure that we have members who can do this.

How about forming the section behind the neck separately, and hiding the join under that strip? Or just cutting that section out from each pull while it's still on the buck? The other 3/4 of the pull might then release ok, and you'd have no seam to clean up and make transparent.

How about forming the section behind the neck separately, and hiding the join under that strip? Or just cutting that section out from each pull while it's still on the buck? The other 3/4 of the pull might then release ok, and you'd have no seam to clean up and make transparent.
That's a great idea! It could even be formed as two parts on separate bucks, the ad on part on the back would hide the seam.

Guys we are working on that very thing. More to come on that. What I'm looking for now is hoses for the OXY tubes and fitting and releases. Rusty who works for United Airlines is on the buckles and releases but I need to get the hoses next and the fittings. Hopefully something has connection fittings that go with it with press and release. All you guys that are helping will be listed in my credits for the suits.

Thanks so much!

steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back