Space Command Space Suits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andy and I are talking about the design it may be he changes it a bit to better suit the situation. Stand by. More to come. Thanks for all the help and keep it coming.

Steve

How about getting a standard sphere and cutting the neck big enough to get the head in? It would require some changes to the design, but it's cheap.

I know the Lost In Space Robot had its dome blowmolded freehand.
I wonder if the replicas are done the same way? Check with them.

There are quite few hits searching for - diy blow molding.

I found a pdf of blowmolding from Formed Plastic. Can't link it.

Terry thanks a lot. But I will find out about getting them to match Andy's design tomorrow morning. I have several leads thanks to all you guys on the RPF!

Steve

Steve,

Glad to hear you have a few leads. Still no PM returned to me from RICHIES ARMOUR.

Looking forward to this build very much. Congratulations on landing such an incredible job. You've earned it!

Ted.

Thanks Ted. This is all on the house until August when the funds are released so I'm working on materials only which s why I'm still doing customer builds. I have to hang in there 7 more weeks.

I will also need a good mold maker to help me on this project. No pay for now but in August that will change. I consider it an investment in a bright future of a new space show. ;)

Steve

Steve

Global Effects specializes in this type of fabrication. You should call them.

Richie,

Thanks for chiming in here. It was your work with the NOSTROMO helmets that made me think of you.

Steve, looking forward to the next installment. And give Rosie a scratch behind the ears for me.

Ted.

I'm def going to be following this!

Steve, when you find the folks who do the blow molding for the bubble, please let us know who it was and what the process is (and cost). It would be awesome if you could get pics or video of the process (if they let you). Us 2001 helmet guys could use some help in this area for the face shield.

Will you be in touch with the folks doing the soft parts? Be cool to see them doing their thing as well.

Looking forward to this suit build more than the ship build -- and that is awesome!

Doug

I'm def going to be following this!

Steve, when you find the folks who do the blow molding for the bubble, please let us know who it was and what the process is (and cost). It would be awesome if you could get pics or video of the process (if they let you). Us 2001 helmet guys could use some help in this area for the face shield.

Will you be in touch with the folks doing the soft parts? Be cool to see them doing their thing as well.

Looking forward to this suit build more than the ship build -- and that is awesome!

Doug

Doug, this website explains the process in detail:

Blow Molding Plastics - Engineer's Handbook

They even list the largest manufacturers of blow molding equipment in the US, and one of them is located here in Germany. I´d say that contacting the manufacturers, they may be able to name companies who do blowmolding in your area.

Michael

Thanks Ted

Really enjoy helping as Steve L. and I can. Just finished a Star Trek Pilot and Ill have a Sci-Fi mascot done this week. Leaves my schedule open a bit.

Steve. The helmets a bit of an odd shape in the pics, beautiful as it is. May take a lil trial and error if your set on that shape.

Richie

Thanks guys and I will do that Doug. Eliot Brown of Warmplastics.com is doing some tests this week with blow molding the bubble. We are hopeful and Andy and Doug are in the loop.

If we find it difficult to exactly replicate the look in Andy's drawings then and only then will he make some changes. We obviously want to keep to the seamless 50s bubble look for good reason. Keep your fingers crossed. Eliot will take pictures and hopefully video too as this is history in the making. I'm documenting every step of the way!

steve

Thanks Ted

Really enjoy helping as Steve L. and I can. Just finished a Star Trek Pilot and Ill have a Sci-Fi mascot done this week. Leaves my schedule open a bit.

Steve. The helmets a bit of an odd shape in the pics, beautiful as it is. May take a lil trial and error if your set on that shape.

Richie

Richie exactly correct you are. I don't know if you guys know Eliot Brown of warmplastics.com he's the guy that sent me the vac machines and did all the brass PE for my 66 inch TOS Enterprise kits. As it turns out he does blow molding and had the same things to say.

Andy know this but we are trying hard to keep this all one seamless bubble. Eliot will be doing test blows tomorrow. Picture and I hope video to follow as I document every step of this history making event of Space Command.

Imagine if we had this sort of thing in the TOS days. Nothing but a few pictures and home movies. People 30 years from now will be able to see how it all happened.

Very cool about the work you're doing Richie. Any posts or additions to your web site?

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back