Kit Bashed Space Fighter

Madhatter

Sr Member
Greetings everyone,

Well, for the first time ever, I have actually completed a scratch built / kit-bashed subject of my own. Yep, I can now finally say that I have made a subject completely of my own imagination – as limited as it is.

This was not a years in the making thing either – it happened pretty quickly. A few weeks back, I saw a YT video on the X-47B UCAV and I thought – that’d be a cool space fighter. So I bought the 1/72 Italeri kit for cheap and as soon as it arrived, out came the styrene, glue and knife.

I stole 2 engines from an unfinished Venator, the tail fins and canards from a 72nd SU-33, the front cowlings from an X-Wing, replaced the missiles with canons from my old BSG Viper, and added some details to the weapons bay (just a few wires and some odds and ends). The cockpit glazing is from a Japanese ferry kit I bought donkeys ago and it seemed perfect for the job.

I threw in some LEDs into the wing engines easy as. The rear part was a tad more tricky. I had to make a small light box behind the rear of the exhaust bit and cut out the rear wall. I used some PE radiator panelling from a Lamborghini Aventador set that I happened to have left over. It was glued onto the face of some sanded clear plastic sheet and Bob’s your Uncle. However, even though I have a nicely diffused engine, the PE panel had slipped down slightly without me noticing. I can live with it as you can’t really see it anyways.

As for the colour scheme, it’s a nod to the US Space Shuttles – no other reason than I think it looks cool.

That’s it really – nothing else to tell. Very simple concept and execution but I am happy with it. I’d be happy to hear your thoughts on it. I am very open to constructive critique.

53368416990_18a5c9aeac_h.jpg

53368284919_e96403e90b_h.jpg

53367071137_c7ab5fe91d_h.jpg

53368417170_c5b6df65b0_h.jpg

53368285094_c1d9870735_h.jpg

53368167268_e82059aa3e_h.jpg

53368167273_0e2db1b001_h.jpg

I just realised I didn't take any head on shots. Oh well, you get the idea.

As always, thanks for stopping in and having a look

Si

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back